Hey guys, thanks in advance for your input. 

I am renegotiating my contract at a FP location in WV. I have been here 3 years. Was hired in 2016 with a 3 year contract. I was hired as a new grad and started at a base salary of $80,000 with $1000 pay raise yearly for 3 years. I have a bonus structure of 25% bonus of receipts over 28,000 monthly.

Benefits: 401K match, paid health insurance, disability, malpractice, $1500 CME, 25 days PTO as well as major holidays off. I do take call via phone 1 out of every 6 weeks but it is built into my salary. 

New contract offer is for 5% raise yearly for the next 3 years: so starting in June my salary would be $86,100, then 90,405, then 3rd year 94,925. Would keep same benefits and bonus structure. 

I know the salary is a little low for the average but since my office pays my husband and I's health insurance (around $12,000/yr) I feel like I can't press much more. 

Just wanted to see what others thought before we have an actual sit down meeting about it. 

Regardless of insurance your salary is pretty low, especially accounting for 1:6 call, even recognizing a possibly lower COL than average(?). Not working FP I have no clue how much you end up collecting via your bonus structure.

A guaranteed 5% a year is pretty nice, just unfortunate that you're starting so low. Now, if this is offbalanced by a pretty significant quarterly bonus then I may be way off track.

Insurance for you should be standard. 

• Like 1

MediMike, thanks for the input. I am unsure how to approach asking for more, as my OM is fighting for the 5% already as the Docs want to only do 4% currently. When I started I was hitting pretty good bonuses (around 1,000-1,200 a month) but then we added a new Dr last spring and his schedule has taken priority for the past year to build his practice, so the other PA and I have not hit our bonus in a year,  and as well our receipts are down over the past year . Per the OM, they are done building his schedule and she anticipates we will start getting bonuses again but I am not holding my breath because our schedules are slow as an office through the summer months. 

I really like my office, the lifestyle is great, and I dearly love all of my colleagues which I know is a real lucky gig so leaving really isn't something I want to do. If I have to leave, we have an easy 30 day notification clause in our contracts so it's not hard. 

It's a tough spot to be in. If you are happy and feel appreciated, love your colleagues and have a good working environment well...there always has to be a trade off right?

I think the only tactic you could use would be the lose of $12k in bonus income over the prior year. I'm assuming your low annual salary was taking into account the anticipated bonus $$$ to balance it out. 

Asking for a straight bump to $90-$92k would be a good start with the annual raises. As I said, without knowing your COL it's hard, but a colleague of mine is making $140k working FP for Kaiser right now 3 years out of school in a low COL region of the PNW. Definitely an outlier but so is <$90k/yr 3yrs out. They are making money off of you for sure.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Echo29
      Hi All!
      Looking for some thoughts on an urgent care offer in northern NJ.
      Multi specialty practice based urgent care. Mix of acuity. We can get stat CTs.
      $64/hr = 133120 per year
      Hourly not salary
      160 hours PTO
      0 hours CME days
      $1500 CME
      Mix between 12hr (week day 8A-8P) and 9hr (8A-5P) shifts
      4% match 401k
      5% annual bonus
      Approx 20-30 patient's per day
      I have  5 years experience as a PA
      Thanks in advance!

~E
    • By azups94
      Hello all, 
      Recent new graduate here. I just received an offer from a small private, moderately paced urgent care/primary care office and I have a few questions about some items in my contract. Not sure if the items are reasonable for PAs in my area and looking to get some feedbacks from actual PAs in practice rather than just my parents. Here are a few details of my contract:
      - 18 month contract with required 90 days written notice of termination
      - 96K salary with bump after completing "training CME" courses paid for by the practice. 17 weeks to complete the courses and salary will increase to 101K
      - Productivity bonuses based on wRVUs and charts completed and coded within 48 hours
      - PTO accrued based on time worked. Begin accruing PTO 1 month after completing 90 day introductory period. PTO is to be used for PERSONAL DAYS, SICK DAYS, and VACATION time. (contract states that in first 0-3 years I can accumulate up to 100 hrs/2.5 weeks PTO)
      - Non-compete clause during employment and 12 months after termination. Cannot engage in primary, multi-specialty, urgent care offering similar services within a 2 mile radius of any clinics. (This can be kind of limiting for me due to the central location of the clinics in the city - I am considering a negotiation for this to be removed or possibly brought down to 1 mile)
      - Still need clarification of type of malpractice insurance, but it is offered. (Not sure if I will require tail coverage yet but will be finding out)
      - Multiple Heath insurance policies available but not covered 100% by practice. Most expensive policy will cost $162 Bi-weekly for employee coverage (No additional spouse or family coverage)

Additionally, I have a few concerns about orientation and training on site. Currently, both clinics have single provider coverage with experienced NPs. Will be asking tomorrow about my expectations for providing single-provider coverage and working on my own. Was told by employed NP that the providers at both clinics are in constant communication via phone and text. Also assures me that the Medical Director is often on site and always quickly answers phone calls and texts. Medical director seems very eager to teach but I still have concerns about his expectations for me as a new grad due to his experience with mainly experienced NPs. 
      ALSO, the salary is VERY tempting and I don't want to be blinded..
      Thank you all for any help or feedback you can give!
    • By jbm14
      Hello everyone, 
      I work at a rural hospital in orthopedic surgery. I recently met with my employer’s director of clinical operations to discuss my productivity. In my second contract (signed this summer) it states that there will be a bonus of $25 for every wRVU over 2350. Last year as a new graduate I produced somewhere around 4300. During the meeting with the director I was given a statement of practice operations stating my current RVUs, charges, etc with the statement that the “fee modifying deduction” has not yet been added to the RVU total. He states that I will receive 25% of the surgeon’s RVUs for each billable surgery. That makes sense, however, they are wanting to give me 85% of my own clinic RVUs. Does anyone else have any experience with these kind of deductions in regards to their bonus payout? I know the conversion factor of $25 is already pretty low, so are they trying to avoid paying me with these deductions? There is nothing in my contract regarding these deductions.

Thanks in advance.
    • By Salesian
      Hey folks,
      I've been working in emergency medicine for about 1 year in a setting with a good mixture of high acuity and fastrack patients at a teaching institution. I've also worked during this time per diem at a low volume urgent care. While this has been an outstanding first job in terms of resume building and learning, it of course has the downside of wild hours, nights, weekends, holidays, etc. at a rather noncompetitive hourly rate/salary. I don't hate the job, but I also don't see myself doing emergency medicine forever. Or at least...not at this salary.
      For those who started in emergency medicine, what are your thoughts on transitioning to an urgent care job? I have heard some describe a miserable existence of patient volumes upwards of 60 patients a day, but I am guessing this is very dependent on the institution. Are there other specialties that make for a natural transition from emergency medicine? Am keeping all my options open at this point. Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More