Application Cycle 2019-2020

9 hours ago, Carbachol said:

@Jamiek Yes, what you are saying makes sense but thats not how this works. Emory is in a tough spot because they are one of the only programs graduating in December. This means that class of 2018 (graduated December 2018) was one of the first classes ever to take the harder PANCE. Early takers of the new PANCE were scored against test takers of the previous test, due to lack of data. So not only you had to score high enough to pass a new test, you had to score higher than people who took the easier test. Later on as more people took the test, there were enough scores to compare the new takers with the new takers, so a better scale. 

However, more importantly BE CAREFUL! looking at test scores until Feb. 2020! This is why: Emory has a 96% PANCE pass rate on the 2018 test (because class of 2017 took it, see how weird it is?), they have a 77% pass rate on the 2019 test but its CLASS OF 2018!! So right now when you see a 98% pass rate of other schools they are comparing the class of 2018 VS class of 2018 (emory 2018 = 2019 test, other schools class of 2018= 2018 test). Another point, is that once rumors started going on about the test being harder schools that graduate in the summer of 2019 went hardcore board review mode and panic mode because they had time. 

Lastly, here is a tip. Whenever you look at pass rates MAKE SURE you see # of first time test takers. I go to MERCER, we have like 80 ppl in our class. BUT only 50 something are FIRST TIME TEST TAKERS so, almost half of the class is not allowed to test until they are cleared, emory was not like it, they would send their entire class if they felt like they are ready. Emory is not a little more strict about how many students are allowed to take the test. 

Anyway my point is that if you go interview at emory and you like it, go there. dont let the stats stop you because when the real numbers of 2019 come in early 2020 more and more schools will be sub 80%, right now schools are not required to post their 2019 test scores until 2020, most websites have their 2018 scores up only. Remember that no matter where you go it will be up to you to pass the PANCE. 

@studentpalife Tagging you in here too. i hope the school you accepted instead of emory is good because you completely misunderstood the way 2018 vs 2019 scores are reported on the website of other schools. I personally wanted to go to Emory and sadly was not accepted. I am happy at Mercer tho, but I am jealous at the rotation opportunities Emory get. 

This was super super helpful and makes me feel better about the PANCE issue. Thank you for taking the time to reply! I hope everything is going well at Mercer for you!

Congratulations to all of the students who have been accepted thus far! Also good luck to those who will be interviewing soon!

I read on one of the earlier posts that someone had been chosen to interview on November 4 I believe? Anyone else chosen for a November date? I am patiently waiting hoping to get called soon lol 

I applied early - and as of June 13th received an email that I passed the committee review and if determined they will send an email with an interview date... Since then I contacted the school and was told everything is processed and still under review... has anyone else had a similar situation? Will they still be considering late interviewers?

Thanks for all advice!

Edited by StudentE

5 minutes ago, StudentE said:

I applied early - and as of June 13th received an email that I passed the committee review and if determined they will send an email with an interview date... Since then I contacted the school and was told everything is processed and still under review... has anyone else had a similar situation? Wil they still be considering late interviewers?

Thanks for all advice!

Hi! I did not apply as earlier as you did, however I am in the same boat. The waiting is killing me ! lol

Edited by mellb

30 minutes ago, mellb said:

Hi! I did not apply as earlier as you did, however I am in the same boat. The waiting is killing me ! lol

I applied early as well, June 1st. I was verified within a week by Emory. I received the correspondence from the office that I had passed the first phase of the review. I did not hear back from Emory until September 3rd that I was offered an interview for September 4th. I was accepted on September 16th! Only 30% of the spots for the upcoming class have been filled thus far so there is still a good portion of seats still available. The waiting game stinks but do not lose hope. 🙂 Good luck to you both! 

On 9/28/2019 at 11:52 PM, Carbachol said:

@Jamiek Yes, what you are saying makes sense but thats not how this works. Emory is in a tough spot because they are one of the only programs graduating in December. This means that class of 2018 (graduated December 2018) was one of the first classes ever to take the harder PANCE. Early takers of the new PANCE were scored against test takers of the previous test, due to lack of data. So not only you had to score high enough to pass a new test, you had to score higher than people who took the easier test. Later on as more people took the test, there were enough scores to compare the new takers with the new takers, so a better scale. 

However, more importantly BE CAREFUL! looking at test scores until Feb. 2020! This is why: Emory has a 96% PANCE pass rate on the 2018 test (because class of 2017 took it, see how weird it is?), they have a 77% pass rate on the 2019 test but its CLASS OF 2018!! So right now when you see a 98% pass rate of other schools they are comparing the class of 2018 VS class of 2018 (emory 2018 = 2019 test, other schools class of 2018= 2018 test). Another point, is that once rumors started going on about the test being harder schools that graduate in the summer of 2019 went hardcore board review mode and panic mode because they had time. 

Lastly, here is a tip. Whenever you look at pass rates MAKE SURE you see # of first time test takers. I go to MERCER, we have like 80 ppl in our class. BUT only 50 something are FIRST TIME TEST TAKERS so, almost half of the class is not allowed to test until they are cleared, emory was not like it, they would send their entire class if they felt like they are ready. Emory is not a little more strict about how many students are allowed to take the test. 

Anyway my point is that if you go interview at emory and you like it, go there. dont let the stats stop you because when the real numbers of 2019 come in early 2020 more and more schools will be sub 80%, right now schools are not required to post their 2019 test scores until 2020, most websites have their 2018 scores up only. Remember that no matter where you go it will be up to you to pass the PANCE. 

@studentpalife Tagging you in here too. i hope the school you accepted instead of emory is good because you completely misunderstood the way 2018 vs 2019 scores are reported on the website of other schools. I personally wanted to go to Emory and sadly was not accepted. I am happy at Mercer tho, but I am jealous at the rotation opportunities Emory get. 

This is some hardcore spin. The bottom line is they had 12 students fail. I know of at least 2 schools that are ranked way lower, one a relatively new program, that took the same test and had 0 students fail. I wouldn't bring up rankings, but when I interviewed here they brought them up more than once to use them to brag about being top 5. Well, in my opinion, a top 5 program wouldn't have 12 students fail. There was a failure somewhere in their methods to have those students fail. Also, a program that brags about being top 5 should never compare themselves to the national average. They should be way above the national average. 

I do however agree that if you liked Emory and its a fit for you then absolutely go there. My guess is that they wont let this happen again. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 10:27 AM, mellb said:

Congratulations to all of the students who have been accepted thus far! Also good luck to those who will be interviewing soon!

I read on one of the earlier posts that someone had been chosen to interview on November 4 I believe? Anyone else chosen for a November date? I am patiently waiting hoping to get called soon lol 

I submitted my application 5/1/2019 and never got an email stating that I "made it to the second round" or anything like that. I didn't hear back from the program at all until 9/24 and was offered an interview on 11/4 in which I accepted it! I have a feeling that this is the last or one of the last interview dates. 

On 10/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, jds994 said:

This is some hardcore spin. The bottom line is they had 12 students fail. I know of at least 2 schools that are ranked way lower, one a relatively new program, that took the same test and had 0 students fail. I wouldn't bring up rankings, but when I interviewed here they brought them up more than once to use them to brag about being top 5. Well, in my opinion, a top 5 program wouldn't have 12 students fail. There was a failure somewhere in their methods to have those students fail. Also, a program that brags about being top 5 should never compare themselves to the national average. They should be way above the national average. 

I do however agree that if you liked Emory and its a fit for you then absolutely go there. My guess is that they wont let this happen again. 

I agree 1000%. Thank you for this. 

although emory may have been one of the first programs to take the PANCE, they cannot reason it for being because "the pance was harder." over 100 programs also took this exam at a later time. although some may have not posted their updated pance scores immediately, you can always directly email them for those scores. in my experience, most of the programs I emailed who took the "harder PANCE" scored in the upper 90s.  A top 5 program with 77% is unheard of.

if you have a interview at Emory then ask them your questions about this. You are also interviewing  the school as much as they are. 

Edited by studentpalife

• 2 weeks later...

To Those who already interviewed:

I have an interview coming up shortly in 2 weeks, and would like some insight on the interview questions

Are there scenario type questions regarding patients? Or is it more about getting to know the candidate?

Also is there a writing essay segment as well?

Are there any questions regarding your medical knowledge?

Thank you anyone for some insight, it is so greatly appreciated! 

16 hours ago, jlberan83 said:

I have an interview coming up shortly in 2 weeks, and would like some insight on the interview questions

Are there scenario type questions regarding patients? Or is it more about getting to know the candidate?

I think it would be a little unfair  to earlier candidates if someone just told you all these answers. Just be prepared and compassion about what you’re talking about. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, jlberan83 said:

I agree that it isn’t fair if you have the answers to these questions, but definitely understand the urge to ask! It is classic MMI. Everyone was incredibly friendly and I’m sure you will enjoy the interview. Just wear comfy shoes because the walking tour was quite long! 

• Upvote 1

@Juliay96 Not comfortable giving the number out but I also missed the call and Allan left a voicemail with a congratulations. First I would make sure your VM box isn’t full. If you have an iPhone they also store deleted messages (I’ve made that mistake before). Second, just reach out to the contact number on their website! No harm in making sure you didn’t miss a call.

2 minutes ago, keepit1hunid said:

@Juliay96 Not comfortable giving the number out but I also missed the call and Allan left a voicemail with a congratulations. First I would make sure your VM box isn’t full. If you have an iPhone they also store deleted messages (I’ve made that mistake before). Second, just reach out to the contact number on their website! No harm in making sure you didn’t miss a call.

Great thank you.