Application Cycle 2019-2020

8 hours ago, y1tenorio said:

Got a call as well! So excited for next year and to have the opportunity to meet everyone! Congrats to everyone on their acceptance. And to everyone else, keep your head up! 

I got a call today as well that I was accepted! I’m so excited to meet everyone and get started! I’m still in shock! Good luck to those who are waiting! 

32 minutes ago, NikkiS said:

What’s their reasoning?

Because the PANCE was made harder this year. Emory was one of the first schools to take it in 2019 so they have the results for the test. If PANCE was made harder every every other school’s pass results will be lower as well. Emory was just one of the first to receive, and publish, their results.

53 minutes ago, hadmychance said:

Because the PANCE was made harder this year. Emory was one of the first schools to take it in 2019 so they have the results for the test. If PANCE was made harder every every other school’s pass results will be lower as well. Emory was just one of the first to receive, and publish, their results.

It was explained in our interview that many of the schools have opted out of publishing their PANCE pass rates since taking the harder exam. And that the individuals that did not pass we’re all remediated on the schools behalf and that many of them had admitted to not studying enough to pass it. So just caution to the wind on that. They’re a top 5 school for a reason!

There was also faculty issues going on that I’ve heard from past Emory students. I’ve spoken with several students from different programs who did take the PANCE that was harder and they did have 1 or 2 that failed but not 12 students like Emory did. I understand the pance got harder. Students paying that much money and being in school for 28 months to flunk the test because they “didn’t study as much” seems like a odd explanation.  It might be a top school but for me what’s important ultimately is passing the pance and seeing 98-99% pass rates. Early on, Emory actually did not post the scores on their website  and I came to find out during interviews. But nows it’s posted for everyone to see

Good luck to those applying!

Edited by studentpalife
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sheilassss said:

Congrats! So I guess they are still calling for acceptances? Were you waitlisted first?  

Yeah I got the call that they would call in November like last week or something? (The same time everyone else was getting that call as well). Then today I got an acceptance call. So I guess they are still calling?? Im honestly in shock. But thank you, hang in there!! 

On 9/21/2019 at 2:54 PM, studentpalife said:

There was also faculty issues going on that I’ve heard from past Emory students. I’ve spoken with several students from different programs who did take the PANCE that was harder and they did have 1 or 2 that failed but not 12 students like Emory did. I understand the pance got harder. Students paying that much money and being in school for 28 months to flunk the test because they “didn’t study as much” seems like a odd explanation.  It might be a top school but for me what’s important ultimately is passing the pance and seeing 98-99% pass rates. Early on, Emory actually did not post the scores on their website  and I came to find out during interviews. But nows it’s posted for everyone to see

Good luck to those applying!

I'm confused by the 77% pass rate. I have an interview at Emory coming up and this if very concerning to me. I absolutely love the school, but how can they validate a 77% pass rate when the national average was 98% for the same exam which was 1% HIGHER than the national average last year despite the "harder PANCE". The PANCE didn't necessarily increase in difficultly, the passing standards just increased. So if they are blaming the 77% on the "harder" test this year, then that means that they are only setting up their students to barely pass on the old standard of grading, all of who failed on the new standard this year. 

12 hours ago, Jamiek said:

I'm confused by the 77% pass rate. I have an interview at Emory coming up and this if very concerning to me. I absolutely love the school, but how can they validate a 77% pass rate when the national average was 98% for the same exam which was 1% HIGHER than the national average last year despite the "harder PANCE". The PANCE didn't necessarily increase in difficultly, the passing standards just increased. So if they are blaming the 77% on the "harder" test this year, then that means that they are only setting up their students to barely pass on the old standard of grading, all of who failed on the new standard this year. 

@Jamiek Yes, what you are saying makes sense but thats not how this works. Emory is in a tough spot because they are one of the only programs graduating in December. This means that class of 2018 (graduated December 2018) was one of the first classes ever to take the harder PANCE. Early takers of the new PANCE were scored against test takers of the previous test, due to lack of data. So not only you had to score high enough to pass a new test, you had to score higher than people who took the easier test. Later on as more people took the test, there were enough scores to compare the new takers with the new takers, so a better scale. 

However, more importantly BE CAREFUL! looking at test scores until Feb. 2020! This is why: Emory has a 96% PANCE pass rate on the 2018 test (because class of 2017 took it, see how weird it is?), they have a 77% pass rate on the 2019 test but its CLASS OF 2018!! So right now when you see a 98% pass rate of other schools they are comparing the class of 2018 VS class of 2018 (emory 2018 = 2019 test, other schools class of 2018= 2018 test). Another point, is that once rumors started going on about the test being harder schools that graduate in the summer of 2019 went hardcore board review mode and panic mode because they had time. 

Lastly, here is a tip. Whenever you look at pass rates MAKE SURE you see # of first time test takers. I go to MERCER, we have like 80 ppl in our class. BUT only 50 something are FIRST TIME TEST TAKERS so, almost half of the class is not allowed to test until they are cleared, emory was not like it, they would send their entire class if they felt like they are ready. Emory is not a little more strict about how many students are allowed to take the test. 

Anyway my point is that if you go interview at emory and you like it, go there. dont let the stats stop you because when the real numbers of 2019 come in early 2020 more and more schools will be sub 80%, right now schools are not required to post their 2019 test scores until 2020, most websites have their 2018 scores up only. Remember that no matter where you go it will be up to you to pass the PANCE. 

@studentpalife Tagging you in here too. i hope the school you accepted instead of emory is good because you completely misunderstood the way 2018 vs 2019 scores are reported on the website of other schools. I personally wanted to go to Emory and sadly was not accepted. I am happy at Mercer tho, but I am jealous at the rotation opportunities Emory get. 

Edited by Carbachol
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2