Sign in to follow this  
seanok

CPT that exceeds 8 years TIS wants to go to IPAP

Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom with my situation.

I am an active duty Army CPT and I am about to reach my 8th year in the Army. I really want to apply for the Army IPAP program next year, and I will only need to take a few classes to have all the necessary pre-reqs to attend. My main issue is that according to the most recent MILPER you cannot have over 8 years of active commissioned service. By next year I will have 9.

I am tempted to put together a packet anyway and just see what happens, but I am not sure if I will even be considered.

My last and only other option will be to get out and join the Reserves and apply as a Reservist and be accept a Reserve appointment. This option is much riskier, as I would be assuming a considerable amount of risk if this did not work out.

Lastly, this is something that I really want to do. I do not care about promotions or anything like that, I just want to get in!

If anyone has any help on this it will be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Sean,

First off, best of luck to you. I'd contact the IPAP Program Manager to explain your situation. There is a TIS waiver (link doesn't work) but I'm sure they could email you a copy or you could construct one based off any of the other waiver examples that have working links. (IPAP contact link below)

I can tell you that on the guard/reserve side, you have to be an active drilling member for a min of 1 year before applying and it is risky. The slots are limited and you would still require a TIS waiver. The guard DOES need PAs (probably the reserves too) but I don't think the grass is any more green/less competitive. 

I left active duty with 10 years TIS because I wanted/want to become a PA. When I attempted to apply on AD at 9yrs, there was no TIS waiver and I was simply told I had no chance. Once out, I looked into the guard and the recommendation from the AMEDD Personnel Program Manager was not encouraging in any way. Fast forward 1 year, I'm now applying to civilian PA programs and intent to join the guard after I complete a program. 

Getting out is an option but not a decision to take lightly. Two PROS are that you have the time to focus on finishing prereqs and building your healthcare experience, assuming you don't have any. The biggest CON is that you lose your paycheck so you have to be financially prepared. The GI Bill will only carry you so far but it is a big help. The other big CON is that transitioning can (not always) be a difficult process, especially when you are going from a role where the responsibility and risk is high to a life with almost no risk/responsibility as a undergrad student. This has been my experience but doesn't represent everyone else - you may be different. 

Now that I've crushed your hopes and dreams, I'd say don't let anyone stop you. If they say no, find another route. Remember that knowing the right people DOES help so use the military network you have now. If you've exhausted all resources for getting into IPAP via active duty then consider another option. 

Good luck brother!

https://recruiting.army.mil/armypa/contact/

Thanks a lot for the message. I was really excited because after Company Command and multiple deployments I thought I finally found what I wanted to do with my life. I need to move forward with this. It would be great to do it through the military and not have to take out loans.. but you have to fight for what you want. I spoke with the program director. It looks like it is not possible at least on the AD side. But it looks like a rewarding career. Haven't met an unhappy PA. Thanks for the help. Best of luck with your application. Hope you get in.

Last question. Other than this forum are you aware of any PA Veteran Organizations that could offer some mentorship on applying to civilian schools?  

I haven't but if you have any questions later on you can post them on here. I check this every couple days or so.