2019-2020 Application Cycle

5 hours ago, nyc9009 said:

Received confirmation that my application is being processed on June 6th. 

Still have not heard anything else. 

Should I consider it a rejection??

I submitted 6/11 and still havent heard. I'm hoping we're just in the next round of application reviews.

Too late to submit?!? Hope it’s not too late, as I just decided to send in my app lol! 

cGPA: 3.6

sGPA:3.4

pce/hce hours: ~5100 hours (medical assistant at community clinic and also a biopsy tech at local hospital, where I help physicians by collecting biopsy tissues specimens, preparing them, and also helping with the biopsies during procedures.

shadowing: 186+ hours (120 primary care PA, derm, Cardiothoracic OR PA, radiology MD, etc...)

Volunteer: ~140 hours (various roles, children’s hospital aid, nursing homes, feeding the poor, also at underserved health clinic.

hope it’s not too late, and that they take my pce hours! My science gpa is a little low, but only because I did poorly one semester. 

Good luck to everyone that’s applying! 

• Upvote 1

For everyone worrying about whether or not they have been denied, please stop worrying. This school in particular has only sent out two rounds of interviews (July and August) and it is still extremely early in the interviewing season. I know that it can be difficult to know and to wait, especially if this is your first year applying, but the committees work really hard to look at everyone's applications, and it often times takes months to hear back from schools, even from schools with rolling admissions.

Don't assume that because you haven't heard anything that it would be considered bad, because your application matters! Take some time away from checking your emails and be proud of yourself for finishing your applications in a timely matter! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mari1994 said:

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew if their genetics prerequisite requirement has to be an upper-division course or not? Would a lower division course fulfill the requirement? Thanks in advance! 🙂

"General or Medical Genetics - Preferably with Lab (3-4 SCH): One course"

I'd say the combination of "general," 3 credit hour option, and +/- Lab means that as long as it says "genetics" in the course title and it's at least 3 CH, you could probably get away with it. But you could always call/email the PA program admissions office and ask if you have a specific course in mind. I promise they won't bite. 😉

Has anyone heard anything from the program about how the planned closing of Hahnemann hospital (which is basically Drexel’s home hospital) might impact the PA program clinical curriculum? The closure seems messy. I can’t find much information about how much the program relies on the hospital for training PAs. Anyone talk to any current students or grads about it?

Edited by Tua43244
  • Upvote 2

On 7/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, Tua43244 said:

Has anyone heard anything from the program about how the planned closing of Hahnemann hospital (which is basically Drexel’s home hospital) might impact the PA program clinical curriculum? The closure seems messy. I can’t find much information about how much the program relies on the hospital for training PAs. Anyone talk to any current students or grads about it?

I'm definitely curious about how the closure will affect the program. Although they are technically separate entities, I remember the students saying during the open house that they are frequently in the hospital during didactic year. I'm also curious how it will impact clinical rotation sites. Many of the outpatient departments were under Drexel, not Hanehmann and are being bought by another company. I live in Philly and its going to be a big loss to the city. All that being said, I'm still anxiously waiting to hear about an interview!!

On 7/19/2019 at 1:28 AM, nyc9009 said:

For those that had the interview on July 18th.. please share your experiences!!

what was it like?

what kind of questions did they ask? 

The day is laid out exactly how they describe in the email: writing sample, presentation, lunch with the director, interview/tour. Half of the group did the tour then interview and the other half did the opposite- bring an umbrella! Everyone is very friendly, and as long as you prepare the basics (pretty much what comes up when you Google, "PA school interview"), you'll be fine. None of the questions caught me off guard. You get a lot of opportunities to ask questions to current students and faculty members!

• Upvote 1

Anyone know how long does Drexel take to send out acceptance after an applicant has been interviewed. I interviewed in the first round, July 18th, and waiting time is killing me. I received  2 other interviews invites, and the seat deposit for those program are 1500 and 2000 dollars where as for Drexel is only 500. 

So for starters, congrats on your interviews! From those of us struggling to get an interview, let me say: whoever offers you a spot first, take it. 

I'm not sure how Drexel runs its post-interview stages; whether they make a final decision on you right away or keep your app in the running pending other interviews later.

I do know that if the latter case is true, you could be waiting a long time 😕