VA posting for Internal Med NP

The VA is no place for a new grad - NP or PA.

It is intense internal medicine with a tough set of patients. It needs several years or a decade of experience to handle the complexities of VA patients.

PAs can apply and should apply to any position that says NP - the pay scales for NP vs PA are still different at the VA but being corrected as we speak.

Again, I would not consider this as a new grad position.

I am at the VA.

Just my crusty old 2 cents

10 hours ago, Reality Check 2 said:

The VA is no place for a new grad - NP or PA.

It is intense internal medicine with a tough set of patients. It needs several years or a decade of experience to handle the complexities of VA patients.

PAs can apply and should apply to any position that says NP - the pay scales for NP vs PA are still different at the VA but being corrected as we speak.

Again, I would not consider this as a new grad position.

I am at the VA.

Just my crusty old 2 cents

By being corrected as we speak...you mean they should be done in another year or so, right ? 🤣 Its bothers me how inept the government can be....the VA Choice and quality improvement act was passed more than a year and a half ago in August 2017 and they STILL haven't fixed payscales yet, its shameful. I was accepted for a position and went through credentialing...they offered me gs12 instead of gs13 because I have 4 years 8 months experience instead of 5, even though I easily met all of the chief grade requirements in multiple categories. When I finally got a salary offer it was 93k...with over 4 1/2 years experience...more than 30k...almost 40k less than the UC I am at. And they wonder why we keep hearing news of shitty care at VAs around the country...

3 hours ago, ArmyPA said:

By being corrected as we speak...you mean they should be done in another year or so, right ? 🤣 Its bothers me how inept the government can be....the VA Choice and quality improvement act was passed more than a year and a half ago in August 2017 and they STILL haven't fixed payscales yet, its shameful. I was accepted for a position and went through credentialing...they offered me gs12 instead of gs13 because I have 4 years 8 months experience instead of 5, even though I easily met all of the chief grade requirements in multiple categories. When I finally got a salary offer it was 93k...with over 4 1/2 years experience...more than 30k...almost 40k less than the UC I am at. And they wonder why we keep hearing news of shitty care at VAs around the country...

That plus the overwhelming reliance on NPs.  I have stories you would not believe.

I am paid as much as NPs in my VA because my director bargained for me. 

I make enough. I like the work. 

28 yrs in - this is where I belong.

It might not be right for everyone.

The national VA PA pay is being worked on. 

New grads need jobs with mentors, oversight and support - the VA isn’t that right now - too fast paced and too intense.

As a former VA PA and current locums provider, I agree with the comments above that the VA is not a place for a new grad.  As far as salary goes, yes, the pay is quite a bit less than in the community, even for those of us with over 20 years experience.  However, the opportunity to work with complex internal medicine patients can be very rewarding.

1 hour ago, weezianna said:

As a former VA PA and current locums provider, I agree with the comments above that the VA is not a place for a new grad.  As far as salary goes, yes, the pay is quite a bit less than in the community, even for those of us with over 20 years experience.  However, the opportunity to work with complex internal medicine patients can be very rewarding.

My biggest problem isn't so much the discrepancy with the community...its the discrepancy with NPs. They have had 1 year and 9 months to implement locality pay for PAs as passed by law. At my local VA NPs top out 30k a year above PAs at the top end. Its a disgrace. Lets not mention the lawsuit from PAs and NPs over unpaid overtime. And since were talking about new grads...they pay new grads in the realm of 60-70k if were are to believe job postings...WTF cant they do some mentoring. I spent 23 years in the Army and would love to serve my fellow veterans, but I sure as shit ain't gonna give my services away to the government, they got their pound of flesh from me already. Fix the pay scales and maybe myself and a lot of others will give it another go.  And as the largest single employer of PAs, it might be about time for them to figure out this mentoring thing.

Archived