Japanese speaking PAs?

• 3 months later...

It's progressing our profession globally. We just found out the gov of Australia has decided that the Aussie docs don't need anymore competition, thus preventing PA practice within that country. For some reason the argument that PAs and doctors are partners in medicine somewhere got lost or was not put forth strong enough.

It's progressing our profession globally. We just found out the gov of Australia has decided that the Aussie docs don't need anymore competition, thus preventing PA practice within that country. For some reason the argument that PAs and doctors are partners in medicine somewhere got lost or was not put forth strong enough.
I missed that memo. Where did you hear that? I can't imagine how PAs could make it in Japan either. I don't know the system well, but when Public TV's Nova did a series on health care around the world, they pointed out how little Japanese doctors make. One doctor in Tokyo made most of his money off renting out some of parking space and vending machines in his lobby. He was paid about 2.00 USD per stitch when he sued up someone.

That's a terrible blow! It is more important now than ever before to have international recognition of PA's, and credentialing that is mutually acceptable across borders. Unfortunate part is that several remote and rural areas where no doc practices, would rather have an unlicensed person practicing, than a well educated and trained PA. Many country's population would benefit from the introduction of PA's, definitely developing countries, but also developed countries with growing demands for medical care.

That's a terrible blow! It is more important now than ever before to have international recognition of PA's, and credentialing that is mutually acceptable across borders. Unfortunate part is that several remote and rural areas where no doc practices, would rather have an unlicensed person practicing, than a well educated and trained PA. Many country's population would benefit from the introduction of PA's, definitely developing countries, but also developed countries with growing demands for medical care.

Ditto X 10. I was in remote Pakistan a number of years ago after the terrible earthquake. I watched some of the Pakistani doctors practicing and most were horrible (give a B12, pain killer and PCN shot for every complaint). Then the village police chief got in my face and was about to arrest me (or throw me out) because I couldn't produce an MD diploma. This was in the midst of horrible conditions where about 80,000 people had died and the rest were the walking wounded.

Ditto X 10. I was in remote Pakistan a number of years ago after the terrible earthquake. I watched some of the Pakistani doctors practicing and most were horrible (give a B12, pain killer and PCN shot for every complaint). Then the village police chief got in my face and was about to arrest me (or throw me out) because I couldn't produce an MD diploma. This was in the midst of horrible conditions where about 80,000 people had died and the rest were the walking wounded.

I envy you for taking the time to go half way across the world to help others. Thank you! Whats even worse is that if you had "known" someone there, or had a couple $20 bills, the police chief would have let not only you practice, but also anyone even barely pretending to be a practitioner. There are great cultural variables at work here. Firstly, a "PA" on the subcontinent is a Personal Assistant, additionally a new health care role would need to be marketed and then introduced. I plan on using every resource I have to start legislation in Pakistan and India to allow Physician Associates to practice. I believe a convincing presentation coupled with community service, a certification test even (they offer the MCAT internationally, why can't we offer the PANCE or something similar?), and a little influence from people I know. This by no means would be easy at all, but is necessary for our field, one country at a time. Once the government realizes that PA's are already working in their countries on US military bases, they may be more welcoming to the idea. Plus, they have to be feeling the crunch as most of their best physicians have left Pakistan and India, to practice in the US and UK!!! They need PA's for their sake, not for us to go make money--we just want to be recognized so we can volunteer and create more options for improved health care. (Homeopaths are practicing there left and right without any certification, giving out sugar pills or what not, I know I took them!! Nothing against natural medicine, just saying it's a corrupt system).

I envy you for taking the time to go half way across the world to help others. Thank you! Whats even worse is that if you had "known" someone there, or had a couple $20 bills, the police chief would have let not only you practice, but also anyone even barely pretending to be a practitioner. There are great cultural variables at work here. Firstly, a "PA" on the subcontinent is a Personal Assistant, additionally a new health care role would need to be marketed and then introduced. I plan on using every resource I have to start legislation in Pakistan and India to allow Physician Associates to practice. I believe a convincing presentation coupled with community service, a certification test even (they offer the MCAT internationally, why can't we offer the PANCE or something similar?), and a little influence from people I know. This by no means would be easy at all, but is necessary for our field, one country at a time. Once the government realizes that PA's are already working in their countries on US military bases, they may be more welcoming to the idea. Plus, they have to be feeling the crunch as most of their best physicians have left Pakistan and India, to practice in the US and UK!!! They need PA's for their sake, not for us to go make money--we just want to be recognized so we can volunteer and create more options for improved health care. (Homeopaths are practicing there left and right without any certification, giving out sugar pills or what not, I know I took them!! Nothing against natural medicine, just saying it's a corrupt system).

I'm behind you 100%. One good advocate (and they be many more in country) is an ER doc who did his residency in the US, had a very successful career as an ER doc in NYC and then decided (although he was an American citizen) gave it all up, packed his bags and is now the director of one of the main ERs in Islamabad. I forgot his name but he was with us and totally different than the other, in-country trained docs. He also had worked with PAs in the US and has a lot of respect. If you need his name, I could find it and I will PM to you.

I'm behind you 100%. One good advocate (and they be many more in country) is an ER doc who did his residency in the US, had a very successful career as an ER doc in NYC and then decided (although he was an American citizen) gave it all up, packed his bags and is now the director of one of the main ERs in Islamabad. I forgot his name but he was with us and totally different than the other, in-country trained docs. He also had worked with PAs in the US and has a lot of respect. If you need his name, I could find it and I will PM to you.

Yes please, that would be great help! Also the program opening up in Saudi would definitely help our cause to show other governments in the Gulf as well as Pakistan.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

As far as I remember they are opening PA program for Saudi's men BUT nothing for women?? althoguh women are working everywhere in SA as a Medical Doctor. Forget about Pakistan, my uncle in MI didn't know anything about PA?? He knew about NP but nothing about PA. Many people think that PA's are like medical assistant b/c of the silly name of the profession. It is very important to introduce PA profession in under developed Countries like Pakistan/India and others.

Thank You jmj11 for helping Pakistan's EQ victims.

• 3 months later...

I speak the language pretty good, and my wife is Japanese. We actually were thinking about going to work in Japan. I figured it would have to be for the military on a base. We are up for most anything. We are planning a trip to Japan in August to see family.

• 1 year later...

I don't understand why MSF (Dw/oB) doesn't hire PA's, how different is that from being a rural PA? (I mean obviously its sort of different but they can't hook you up with a physician there and just have you check in with them?)

I've actually just started learning Japanese, maybe there will be more opportunities in Japan 10 or so years from now.

I don't understand why MSF (Dw/oB) doesn't hire PA's, how different is that from being a rural PA? (I mean obviously its sort of different but they can't hook you up with a physician there and just have you check in with them?)

I've actually just started learning Japanese, maybe there will be more opportunities in Japan 10 or so years from now.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a PA program in Japan which matriculated its first class last September although it is somewhat of a hybrid curriculum. The JMA is totally opposed to blurring the lines between nurses (who can do very little) and physicians who do everything remotely procedural. Fortunately, the Dean at Nagoya University is very progressive. It is true that physicians are paid very little - one of my friends is a CT surgeon, his wife is a dermatologist and he jokes that she bought him his Lexus because he couldn't afford it on his salary.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Do anyone know of any Japanese speaking PAs? Looking for a FT PA to work in a clinical trial setting. Great pay, hours, and benefits.

Hi,

I am a 2nd year PA student graduating in May 2013. I am a Japanese hoping to find job opportunities in/around Los Angles area.

If you are looking for Japanese speaking PA, please contact me:)

• 6 months later...

Archived