Application cycle 2019-2020

2 hours ago, sml15c said:

Congrats! CASPA said they accepted my app on 8/28 but I have yet to receive an email regarding the secondary. Their website said that they would email it to you after you submitted the CASPA correct? 

I got four identical emails on June 4th from all the Nova campuses telling me that there is a secondary application that I need to complete. The emails had the link for the Nova secondary in it. 

• Like 1

Anyone interviewing on October 17 at 12:15 (afternoon session)? I got the email today offering me an interview and I just submitted Caspa app on the 25th of August and the secondary shortly after that. Anyone have any idea how many people they interview and how many seats there are? 

Edited by MItvs18
  • Upvote 1

On 8/29/2019 at 6:58 PM, hy0914 said:

I was not notified about interview for this program last year until December. My interview was in January, and I was accepted a couple days after the interview. I ended up attending another program, but if anyone has questions about the application and interview process of this school, you are welcome to message me. 

What program did you choose over this one, was there any specific reason why you did? Do you happen to remember how many people you interviewed with that day? Thank you for the help!! 

4 hours ago, MItvs18 said:

Anyone interviewing on October 17 at 12:15 (afternoon session)? I got the email today offering me an interview and I just submitted Caspa app on the 25th of August and the secondary shortly after that. Anyone have any idea how many people they interview and how many seats there are? 

Hi I’m also interviewing on the 17th afternoon session! No idea how many people they interview though. I believe they have 60 seats.

9 hours ago, MItvs18 said:

5 hours ago, rach6195 said:

Hi I’m also interviewing on the 17th afternoon session! No idea how many people they interview though. I believe they have 60 seats.

I'm also interviewing 10/17 at 12:15!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MItvs18 said:

What program did you choose over this one, was there any specific reason why you did? Do you happen to remember how many people you interviewed with that day? Thank you for the help!! 

I will be attending Loma Linda University. I decided to attend that program instead as they had much more sophisticated facilities with better resources. NSU jacksonville does not have cadavers, which was definitely a negative for me. In addition, they are not a part of a campus with a medical school, and their simulation resources are low. There is definitely a lack of inter-professional education. The program I chose has a huge cadaver lab, advanced simulation facilities, a university hospital on campus, and several other profession schools including a medical school. I really liked NSU at the interview as far as the vibe goes, but ultimately I chose where I thought I would get the best education. I also chose a program where I thought I would get the best clinical rotations. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MItvs18 said:

Awesome! Thank you for that information!! Did you get a tour of the facility during the interview? 

Yes we got a full tour during the interview with a lot of information about the program. We also got to talk to current students about the program which is very helpful when ultimately making a decision. I will say Jacksonville was awesome, and that made my decision a little harder! Not sure where you are from. I had several really good meals while I was there. The best place was called DOMU and it was an amazing little ramen spot! 

4 minutes ago, hy0914 said:

Yes we got a full tour during the interview with a lot of information about the program. We also got to talk to current students about the program which is very helpful when ultimately making a decision. I will say Jacksonville was awesome, and that made my decision a little harder! Not sure where you are from. I had several really good meals while I was there. The best place was called DOMU and it was an amazing little ramen spot! 

I’m from West Michigan, so a good distance away! That does sound intriguing! Was the interview done at the time they said? I booked my flight home for that night as I have to return home for work Friday, so that has been on my mind as well. Any insight on the writing portion of the interview? Or the individual portion, was it 1 on 1, multi-mini-interviews, or multiple interviewers and you? 

For the writing portion, I would recommend to really know yourself. That way it is easier to answer the prompt. I think the point of this activity is for them to get to know you and the kind of person you are. I think they will read it before your panel interview so they are just getting a feel for you. Otherwise, they had several group activities where it is more of a group interview session with an activity. Then there is a panel interview (multiple interviewers and you). The interview did finish on time, so I think you will be fine. Also if you let Kandee know at the beginning of the day or even before, she is so wonderful. I am sure she will do what she can to get you out of there on time in order to make your flight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys! I am a current 1st year student at NSU Jax. I was caspa verified last year by end of july/first of august but didn't interview and get accepted until December. My interview group had 8 students and it consisted of a writing portion, which I agree with @hy0914 to really know yourself as well as your application very well, a group activity, and then a individual interview with a panel of professors. One of my interviewers is actually my adviser now! I really loved the feeling of interview day. We obviously all were sickeningly nervous but the faculty and staff really made me feel at ease. Every program has its ups and downs obviously, but one strong point of NSU Jax is that our professors are really working hard to ensure we become competent providers. And its working! We just had our first OSCE and our class did exceptionally well, especially considering they switched up the grading criteria for our class's OSCEs to be more rigorous. They find complete joy when they can tell you are excited about something they are teaching. After lecture about a certain specialty I was speaking with the professor and I mentioned I was really interested in the topic of that day's lecture and it was one of my top choices as far as determining my specialty after school goes. The professor actually started beaming ear to ear and was offering me all sorts of resources and connections to help me explore that interest further. If you have any questions feel free to reach out! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, expo34 said:

Hey guys! I am a current 1st year student at NSU Jax. I was caspa verified last year by end of july/first of august but didn't interview and get accepted until December. My interview group had 8 students and it consisted of a writing portion, which I agree with @hy0914 to really know yourself as well as your application very well, a group activity, and then a individual interview with a panel of professors. One of my interviewers is actually my adviser now! I really loved the feeling of interview day. We obviously all were sickeningly nervous but the faculty and staff really made me feel at ease. Every program has its ups and downs obviously, but one strong point of NSU Jax is that our professors are really working hard to ensure we become competent providers. And its working! We just had our first OSCE and our class did exceptionally well, especially considering they switched up the grading criteria for our class's OSCEs to be more rigorous. They find complete joy when they can tell you are excited about something they are teaching. After lecture about a certain specialty I was speaking with the professor and I mentioned I was really interested in the topic of that day's lecture and it was one of my top choices as far as determining my specialty after school goes. The professor actually started beaming ear to ear and was offering me all sorts of resources and connections to help me explore that interest further. If you have any questions feel free to reach out! 

What were your stats?

15 minutes ago, Patricia5827 said:

What were your stats?

overall GPA 3.5, sGPA 3.39, GRE over 300 (i cant remember exactly). 4,000 hr HCE, 2500 hr shadowing, and 1500 hr PCE. plus volunteer work, extracurriculars etc. and for LORs: 2 PAs, research advisor/undergrad professor, and the PI of the lab that I worked in during undergrad. 

Edited by expo34
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:42 AM, MARTINS said:

GRE stats anyone? How heavy do you think the scores plays in admissions?

I interviewed there last week and my scores weren't that great. My Math was a 153, verbal was 147, and writing was a 4. If the other parts of your application are strong then you should have a fair chance!

Anyone who interviewed if I remember correctly they said that they would let us know by mail if we were accepted? Is that right? I remember her saying that maybe she would call but no promises. I was so tired at that point. What was the time period they would let us know? 2 weeks?