2019 - 2020 Stony Brook Application

11 hours ago, jennifer smith said:

We look at the supplemental much more then the personal statement to see why you are choosing our school.  They give us much more insight then a generic question of "why do you want to be a PA?" which is the personal statement.  Much too generic and not useful at all.

Hey Jennifer,

Do you know which cohort of people are still being reviewed? Thanks 

25 minutes ago, jennifer smith said:

Our program is currently reading those candidates verified between May 15 and 20th

My application was verified on May 15, but my supplemental application wasn't submitted until the beginning of June. Will this affect when my application is reviewed or when I should expect to hear back?

On 7/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, jennifer smith said:

I would STRONGLY  disagree with this statement.  Personal statements are proofed by so many individuals they are not unique work of an applicant.  they are scored the LEAST in the process

sure, but for those programs that don't offer supplemental apps, your only option to elaborate your passion to become a PA is through the PS. I know how much of an impact it has on an individual's opportunity to receive interview invitations because I had the same application last year and got 1 of 12 interview offers, whereas this year, every program has offered me an interview thus far and the only thing that changed was my PS. It's just helpful to encapsulate all writing pieces in an application as very important (and I would argue more important than stats) and stress that to those people who want to apply.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2019 at 11:23 AM, Rm770 said:

Thank you for your updates and engaging with us here. We really appreciate this

23 hours ago, Lynn96981 said:

sure, but for those programs that don't offer supplemental apps, your only option to elaborate your passion to become a PA is through the PS. I know how much of an impact it has on an individual's opportunity to receive interview invitations because I had the same application last year and got 1 of 12 interview offers, whereas this year, every program has offered me an interview thus far and the only thing that changed was my PS. It's just helpful to encapsulate all writing pieces in an application as very important (and I would argue more important than stats) and stress that to those people who want to apply.

Then we can respectfully disagree.  For most programs, gpa's are the first cut, healthcare is the second, the personal statement is not reached until the end of the review.  Like I said, I am only replying because I don't want others on here thinking that their personal statement is the make or break of their application that is just  not an accurate statement.  You are more then welcome to believe this, I am just speaking from being directly involved in PA admissions

On 8/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, jennifer smith said:

Then we can respectfully disagree.  For most programs, gpa's are the first cut, healthcare is the second, the personal statement is not reached until the end of the review.  Like I said, I am only replying because I don't want others on here thinking that their personal statement is the make or break of their application that is just  not an accurate statement.  You are more then welcome to believe this, I am just speaking from being directly involved in PA admissions

Therefore, there are two applicants, one who possesses a 4.0, 5,000 pce hours, and lots of shadowing, and the other one has a 3.5, and 1000 pce hours, and less shadowing. They both make the initial cut and while the 4.0 candidate is very impressive in the books and experiences, their personal statement is a difficult read without radiance and lacking definitive reasoning for choosing this career, however the 3.5 candidate elaborates passion and drive to become a PA, its through but succinct, and leaves the adcom reader eagerly awaiting to meet this person. What I am trying to convey is anyone can see a gpa or test score, but what lies deeper and shows who you are and why you want to become a PA is directly tied to writing. I would want to see someone who doesn't have the highest gpa, but has the passion and rigor of what it takes to become a PA - and that would be conveyed through essays, descriptions in CASPA, and the personal statement.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:36 PM, Lynn96981 said:

Therefore, there are two applicants, one who possesses a 4.0, 5,000 pce hours, and lots of shadowing, and the other one has a 3.5, and 1000 pce hours, and less shadowing. They both make the initial cut and while the 4.0 candidate is very impressive in the books and experiences, their personal statement is a difficult read without radiance and lacking definitive reasoning for choosing this career, however the 3.5 candidate elaborates passion and drive to become a PA, its through but succinct, and leaves the adcom reader eagerly awaiting to meet this person. What I am trying to convey is anyone can see a gpa or test score, but what lies deeper and shows who you are and why you want to become a PA is directly tied to writing. I would want to see someone who doesn't have the highest gpa, but has the passion and rigor of what it takes to become a PA - and that would be conveyed through essays, descriptions in CASPA, and the personal statement.

Again, I can respectfully disagree.  I have written and published articles on personal statements in many publications and been involved both locally and national in PA Admissions for over 20 years.  I am giving my opinion on this, I am stating facts related to the impact of a personal statement in the realm of a competitive candidate.  You can believe what you wish, its just not accurate, and I don't want other candidates reading this string to get misinformed.

1 hour ago, mmott124 said:

Has anyone heard back recently? Do which know which cohort of applicants are in review right now?

1 hour ago, mmott124 said:

Has anyone heard back recently? Do which know which cohort of applicants are in review right now?

September interview date is b ook. starting to read and invite for October.  Applicants Verified 5/17 - 5/31

13 hours ago, IllinoisPA0511 said:

@jennifer smith Is it worth for applicants to apply now considering it is August and the program is currently reviewing applications verified in May. Thank you for your time!

It depends, if the quality of the pool stays the way it is, then yes, it will be too late.  However, if the quality starts going down, then no its not too late

We do not accept any sort of updates

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Dippylal said:

Hi Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to reply to everyone.

I was verified on June 21st, and Stony is my top choice, do you think there will be any room for interviews at the rate you all are going now? I REALLY want to go to stony 😞

Thanks! 

I am currently reading and inviting applicants verified between May 24 and May 30th to fill the October interview date.  Still have November open.  So it is difficult to answer your question, however you did come into the process late.  We do try to be very transparent that we are a rolling admissions cycle starting in April

32 minutes ago, jennifer smith said:

I am currently reading and inviting applicants verified between May 24 and May 30th to fill the October interview date.  Still have November open.  So it is difficult to answer your question, however you did come into the process late.  We do try to be very transparent that we are a rolling admissions cycle starting in April

Hello Jennifer 

thank you for all the updates on this forum. I was verified May 22 but submitted my supplemental on May 29. Since you’re reviewing application from May 24-May 30th and I haven’t received an interview invite does it mean I have no more chance in receiving an interview? 

1 hour ago, PREPAMAXIE said:

Hello Jennifer 

thank you for all the updates on this forum. I was verified May 22 but submitted my supplemental on May 29. Since you’re reviewing application from May 24-May 30th and I haven’t received an interview invite does it mean I have no more chance in receiving an interview? 

what is your first name

Jennifer, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond on this forum. Thank you so much! Stony Brook is an amazing program and I am eager to hear back. 

At the rate you're reviewing applications, it seems like people who apply later than end of June will have a slim to no chance of getting invited to interview. Is this true? I was verified July 1st so I am getting worried with how many interview spots have already been filled up and you are still only reviewing applicants verified in May. 

I hope things have been going well on your side!

19 hours ago, stephanieprepa said:

Jennifer, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond on this forum. Thank you so much! Stony Brook is an amazing program and I am eager to hear back. 

At the rate you're reviewing applications, it seems like people who apply later than end of June will have a slim to no chance of getting invited to interview. Is this true? I was verified July 1st so I am getting worried with how many interview spots have already been filled up and you are still only reviewing applicants verified in May. 

I hope things have been going well on your side!

This is a very difficult question to answer.  If the quality of the pool remains the way it is, then yes, we may not reach july.  If the quality/competitive applicants drops then we could very well go into july.  Either way, that is why we are very transparent about the fact that the later you apply, you lessen your chances for an interview

30 minutes ago, jennifer smith said:

This is a very difficult question to answer.  If the quality of the pool remains the way it is, then yes, we may not reach july.  If the quality/competitive applicants drops then we could very well go into july.  Either way, that is why we are very transparent about the fact that the later you apply, you lessen your chances for an interview

Hi Jennifer,

Are you still currently viewing applications verified May 24th-30th or have you moved forward? Thank you for taking the time to respond to all our questions and concerns.