2019 - 2020 Stony Brook Application

On 7/20/2019 at 11:45 PM, Delee77 said:

To those who were invited for interviews, how did they notify you? By email or phone call? I submitted my application on May 8th but haven’t heard anything heard yet, so I’m scared 😬 and good luck everyone! 

email always. I never got a confirmation, just an interview invite.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:12 PM, Nanalala said:

Do you guys mind sharing your stats. I'd like to know if I even have a shot 

cGPA 3.30

sGPA: 3.32

PCE: I applied with about 1500 at a patient care tech and still working full time

Volunteer: 500, ED volunteer, mission trip, make a wish foundation (my sororities philanthropy, did lots of events for them)

Lots of leadership, I was on the executive board of my university pre-PA club all 4 years, teaching assistant for biology, 150 hours shadowing 4 different PAs

5 LORs, 3 from PAs, 

and in my opinion an amazing personal statement. I never thought I'd get an interview because my GPA wasn't as competitive as others but its important to be a well rounded applicant!

Best of luck!

• Like 3

On 7/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, Nanalala said:

Do you guys mind sharing your stats. I'd like to know if I even have a shot 

3.62 cgpa, 3.53 sgpa, 3000 hrs as a CNA, 70 hours shadowing MDs and PAs, 50 hours volunteering, 5 LOR 1 from PA, 1 MD. I can't stress enough how important the personal statement and writing essays portion is. It's really the make or break of an application and weighs so heavily. Many people with 4.0gpa will get overlooked if their PS is garbage. Its never too late to apply though, and its always worth a shot. For future reference I would apply as early as possible as it really does make a difference. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:52 PM, Lynn96981 said:

3.62 cgpa, 3.53 sgpa, 3000 hrs as a CNA, 70 hours shadowing MDs and PAs, 50 hours volunteering, 5 LOR 1 from PA, 1 MD. I can't stress enough how important the personal statement and writing essays portion is. It's really the make or break of an application and weighs so heavily. Many people with 4.0gpa will get overlooked if their PS is garbage. Its never too late to apply though, and its always worth a shot. For future reference I would apply as early as possible as it really does make a difference. 

I would STRONGLY  disagree with this statement.  Personal statements are proofed by so many individuals they are not unique work of an applicant.  they are scored the LEAST in the process

45 minutes ago, jennifer smith said:

I would STRONGLY  disagree with this statement.  Personal statements are proofed by so many individuals they are not unique work of an applicant.  they are scored the LEAST in the process

How do you view supplemental application ? How are they scored when selecting candidates for the interview?  

4 hours ago, raazk10 said:

How do you view supplemental application ? How are they scored when selecting candidates for the interview?  

4 hours ago, raazk10 said:

We look at the supplemental much more then the personal statement to see why you are choosing our school.  They give us much more insight then a generic question of "why do you want to be a PA?" which is the personal statement.  Much too generic and not useful at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jennifer smith said:

We look at the supplemental much more then the personal statement to see why you are choosing our school.  They give us much more insight then a generic question of "why do you want to be a PA?" which is the personal statement.  Much too generic and not useful at all.

Thank you for the response. Hopefully I hear back from the Program soon 🙂