Assistant on Pre-PA please

Greetings. I am 21 and am in college and was majoring as a Medical Assistant. My main goal was to become a Physician assistant but chose the wrong major to start out with. Half way into completing my MA degree, I have changed major to Liberal Arts and Science because I had a talk with the councilor and she said that a bachelors in Biology will get me into most Medical related services. Now I am a little confused to what classes I should be taking to be able to get into a PA program.

Would some of the PA's that had experiences through before, may I obtain some advices on what classes you've taken in undergrad school/college and what majors you've had selected because I really want to obtain this dream of a Physician Assistant. I am really fascinated by Physicians and the jobs they do and I've done my research on Surgical Physician Assistant. Is that the same as a Physician Assistant or do you have to take different classes of some sort? Thank you very much.

At my school here's what is most popular:

-Major: Biology; Minors: Chemistry and/or Psychology

-Major: Exercise Science; Minor: Biology

I was a Bio major with Psych and Exercise Science minors (I was one class away from Chem minor, but choose not to take biochem so I didn't finish that minor.

But honestly, pick a major in something that you're interested in, otherwise you'll dread school. You can be an english major and get into PA school if you have good grades in all of the pre-reqs!

As far as classes, look at the prereqs for a program or two, they are all fairly similar with a max of 2-3 different classes for each program. If you are trying to choose the FASTEST major as far as graduating and prereqs.. I would say Bio major for sure.

I suggest you research your top choices of PA school (perhaps ones that focus in surgery) and find out what their pre reqs are. Major in anything that you will do well in.. could be auto mechanics for all they care, as long as you have met their pre reqs as well. For example...perhaps your school doesn't require organic chem but your bio major does. Lets say you do HORRIBLE in that class and sink like a stone. Now you have a F clogging up your GPA for a class that wasn't even required to begin with. All ya gotta do is meet their requirements. The major doesn't really matter. I am an advocate of perhaps taking an easier course load and working part time in the medical field, preferably actually doing direct patient care. Strong pre req grades plus actual live experience will take you the distance you need.

Archived