Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if there are any discrepancies in the standards they use to evaluate a traditional PA program app vs. the PA/MPH program? As in, would I be hurting my chances of being a PA student if I apply to the dual program since my application would have to go through both the PA admissions board and the PH admissions board vs. just the PA with the traditional route? Do they have different viewpoints towards students applying to the dual program vs. the traditional one in that they realize it's more difficult to do a double masters so they look at the app a little more softly? Or that they have to be a bit more selective picking the perfect PA class for the traditional route since there is probably a larger number of applicants for the traditional program? Any tips/thoughts/previous experiences, anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 8:51 PM, esakarcan said:

Does anyone know if there are any discrepancies in the standards they use to evaluate a traditional PA program app vs. the PA/MPH program? As in, would I be hurting my chances of being a PA student if I apply to the dual program since my application would have to go through both the PA admissions board and the PH admissions board vs. just the PA with the traditional route? Do they have different viewpoints towards students applying to the dual program vs. the traditional one in that they realize it's more difficult to do a double masters so they look at the app a little more softly? Or that they have to be a bit more selective picking the perfect PA class for the traditional route since there is probably a larger number of applicants for the traditional program? Any tips/thoughts/previous experiences, anyone?

GW is unique in that you do not get evaluated by the school of public health for admissions.  Long ago they decided that if the PA program found you acceptable/worthy of admission, you would be good enough for the public health program therefore they essentially defer to the PA admissions committee's decisions.  At least that's how it used to be and I doubt that's changed.

You are evaluated the same as the PA only applicants.  Because the dual program may be more difficult (if for no other reason than 3 years of full time school is a LOT), they do NOT look at those apps more 'softly'.  Pure speculation here, but I would imagine they look at those more closely - you have to be able to handle the load.  If you can't handle the PA program alone, you certainly won't be able to handle the dual program.  

There are a larger number of applicants for the PA only route, but there are also more spots....ratio wise I think it's pretty even of applicants/interviews to spots available.

Don't over think this.  If you have a reason/desire to get a public health degree, then apply for the dual route.  You still have to be a good applicant for the PA program.

Edited by MT2PA
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got confirmation that my supplemental app and GRE was received but haven’t gotten any email that my application is complete since I my CASPA was verified on 5/20. Just wanted to make sure this was normal and that other people have not received emails that their application was complete or under review! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 5:03 PM, thePAway said:

I got confirmation that my supplemental app and GRE was received but haven’t gotten any email that my application is complete since I my CASPA was verified on 5/20. Just wanted to make sure this was normal and that other people have not received emails that their application was complete or under review! 

I too have not received any other email besides that one. My application was verified 5/13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent my GRE scores to GWU back in early May along with a bunch of other schools I'm applying to. All showed they were received in CASPA a few days later except for GWU. Is this how it is for everybody or did my scores somehow get lost (even though all the others in that batch made it)? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JuliaHPrePA said:

I sent my GRE scores to GWU back in early May along with a bunch of other schools I'm applying to. All showed they were received in CASPA a few days later except for GWU. Is this how it is for everybody or did my scores somehow get lost (even though all the others in that batch made it)? Thank you!

GWU gre scores get sent directly to their school, so you can see if they received it through the online supplemental application account 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! I'm a 2019 graduate of the program. Feel free to message me any questions you might have. I'm not in any way involved in admissions (though as a student I did interview candidates in the MMI) but I can answer any questions you might have related to the program.  

9 hours ago, jlthornt said:

Does anyone know if they follow a rolling admissions process?

 

They do not. Traditionally there are 4 interview days, and then most everyone finds out around the same time. They do extend a very small number of acceptances immediately (1-2 weeks) after the interview to candidates they find exceptionally good, but this is not the case for the vast majority.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, alykat05 said:

Hi everyone! I'm a 2019 graduate of the program. Feel free to message me any questions you might have. I'm not in any way involved in admissions (though as a student I did interview candidates in the MMI) but I can answer any questions you might have related to the program.  

 

They do not. Traditionally there are 4 interview days, and then most everyone finds out around the same time. They do extend a very small number of acceptances immediately (1-2 weeks) after the interview to candidates they find exceptionally good, but this is not the case for the vast majority.  

Thanks so much for that info! Really appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I additionally got the email this morning saying they have recurved my CASPA and supplemental, my application is complete, and is under review. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received the same email saying my caspa and supplemental were received. I sent my GRE scores to them early May and it says on the portal that they weren't received. Has anyone encountered this problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say Portal do you mean on CASPA portal or GWU portal?  It won't show up on CASPA. If it's not showing up on GWU's portal I would contact ETS and GWU and see what's going.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bananataters said:

When you say Portal do you mean on CASPA portal or GWU portal?  It won't show up on CASPA. If it's not showing up on GWU's portal I would contact ETS and GWU and see what's going.  

i meant GWU portal. I called yesterday and they received my exam scores. Thank you!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More