South College - Knoxville 2019-2020 Application Cycle

On 12/27/2019 at 10:40 AM, ebholcomb said:

I just got an interview for the 17th as well and I'm from Knoxville so if anyone has questions about where to stay/where to eat/or wants to grab dinner the night before the interview let me know!

I have an interview for early February but was wondering what the best hotel to stay at would be! I've never been to Knoxville and don't know the area at all.

22 hours ago, MSterling said:

I have an interview for early February but was wondering what the best hotel to stay at would be! I've never been to Knoxville and don't know the area at all.

Anywhere in the Turkey Creek area is super close to South and there are plenty of restaurants and shops around there too!

34 minutes ago, zhusdiw said:

Just got an interview for Feb 7th, 2020 and app submitted 11/25/19. Feeling really nervous about what to expect for the group interview/what I should prepare. Anyone who has been through it, do you have any advice?

I was just accepted from the 1/18 interviews! Just be yourself and try not to get too anxious. They really want to get to know you, and I think what made my interview so strong is that I was very authentic with my answers. Interview prep is important, but use it more to get you thinking about how to create an organized answer and how you would actually answer questions since talking about yourself can be hard - don't just create really rehearsed-sounding answers that you copy-paste into the interview. Just be keeping in mind what you want to emphasize about yourself and how you want to be remembered and use that to guide your answers. The group interview was very relaxed, I actually liked the format a lot. Be thinking about what questions you have about the school - you spend a lot of the day with current students who were great about answering questions that the website didn't already answer. You'll do great!

18 minutes ago, DK123 said:

I was just accepted from the 1/18 interviews! Just be yourself and try not to get too anxious. They really want to get to know you, and I think what made my interview so strong is that I was very authentic with my answers. Interview prep is important, but use it more to get you thinking about how to create an organized answer and how you would actually answer questions since talking about yourself can be hard - don't just create really rehearsed-sounding answers that you copy-paste into the interview. Just be keeping in mind what you want to emphasize about yourself and how you want to be remembered and use that to guide your answers. The group interview was very relaxed, I actually liked the format a lot. Be thinking about what questions you have about the school - you spend a lot of the day with current students who were great about answering questions that the website didn't already answer. You'll do great!

Thanks so much for the advice! I’ll have to work on organizing my thoughts for sure. Is there any kind of knowledge component? Like should we be going over anatomy or biology or anything facts based? Also how long was your group interview minutes wise?

sorry lots of questions I’m freaking out 🙈 

4 hours ago, zhusdiw said:

Thanks so much for the advice! I’ll have to work on organizing my thoughts for sure. Is there any kind of knowledge component? Like should we be going over anatomy or biology or anything facts based? Also how long was your group interview minutes wise?

sorry lots of questions I’m freaking out 🙈 

I'd just focus on the typical PA interview questions - I found a few sites with just lists of frequently asked questions at PA interviews and I felt really well-prepared. And it's hard to remember because I didn't have a chance to check the time before going in, but it was definitely at least 30-45 minutes. They give you plenty of time to fully answer the question so don't stress about that. 

Just try not to stress! This was my first interview and they made me feel really at ease :).  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DK123 said:

I'd just focus on the typical PA interview questions - I found a few sites with just lists of frequently asked questions at PA interviews and I felt really well-prepared. And it's hard to remember because I didn't have a chance to check the time before going in, but it was definitely at least 30-45 minutes. They give you plenty of time to fully answer the question so don't stress about that. 

Just try not to stress! This was my first interview and they made me feel really at ease :).  

Awesome thank you so much!!! Fingers crossed 🤞 it goes well

On 11/8/2019 at 4:36 PM, Osliwa said:

Hey! I would be happy to give you some insight on the interview day 🙂 I walked in 15 minutes early and there were already a lot of interviewees there so if you can be there earlier than that, I would. During that time, they have some breakfast food to eat if you're hungry (although I did not take advantage of this because I ate before I got there). You get to talk to other interviewees, current students and some faculty during the morning session as well.

After that, we all were moved into another room where they did an introduction of the program. All of the faculty introduced themselves to us and we also all had to stand up and briefly introduce ourselves to everyone! After this, we were split up into different groups and went on a tour of the facility. I will say that unfortunately a lot of the rooms were locked when we went on the tour, so if you've never been to the campus before, it made it hard to fully appreciate the facility. So hopefully they'll have those unlocked for you on your interview day. Once the tour was over, we all came back into the same room and then were split up again based on the letter on our name tag. Some of us went into the group interview while the rest of us took the short medical terminology quiz and survey.

The medical terminology quiz is nothing to stress about. However, they interview committee does see the results of the quiz prior to making their decision that afternoon regarding whether or not you'll be accepted, put on the wait list, or rejected. Maybe just review some basic terms, especially root words. After the quiz, you come back to the room and talk with some current students. Again, take this opportunity to ask whatever questions you want. I personally feel like you get a better feel for a program from the students because they aren't trying to sell the school like admission staff. So they're just being completely honest and transparent with you. We were also shown a video about the program during this little bit of time as well.

The group interviews are typically with about 3-4 interviewees with 3 faculty members. They asked basic interview questions you would expect, but also be prepared for some more obscure questions too. I personally enjoyed my interview and felt like they really just wanted to get to know me. However, a few other people mentioned they were asked some vague questions about anatomy and other science classes during the interview, so I think it may just depend on who is interviewing you. It was also a great opportunity to make it more conversational instead of like your traditional interviews because you could go off of one another answers if wanted to. Some of the questions were directed at one person while others were group questions. I would recommend answering first if you can, but also be mindful of the others in the group interview as well and make sure you don't interrupt them. Also, even if someone has a similar answer as you, don't fret! Just build off of it and make it your own. As long as you're true to yourself and your experiences, it will all be okay. 🙂

Once the group interviews are over, you head to lunch which was catered(at least the day I went for my interview). Again, this is  a great opportunity to sit with current students and ask questions. After lunch is over, you head back into the holding room and anxiously wait to be called back to the "individual interviews". I use quotes here because it's not exactly an interview, rather you are being called back individually and asked if you have anymore questions for the admissions committee and whether or not you have been accepted into the program.  It only took about 5 minutes and then I was headed home for the day! 

Each of my interviews has been a different style and South College's interview was probably the one I was most nervous about just because I'm a quiet person and felt like I wouldn't excel at the group interview setting. Looking back though, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting! Just stay confident, remember you are worthy to be there, and be your authentic self. Also remember you are interviewing South College just as much as they are interviewing you, so make sure to write out a list of questions you genuinely want answered because this is a big decision you're about to make!!! Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do great!!!

P.S. If you need any food recommendations or a list of things to do in Knox, I live in the area so let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Was the medical terminology quiz multiple choice?? How many questions were there? 

24 minutes ago, zhusdiw said:

So I was trying to figure out a good flight and I'm getting a super good price but it departs at 8:15pm on the same day as my interview. For those that have done the interviews, do we get done in time for me to book that flight?

Yes! I was done around 1:40pm. I would think the last person to be called back would leave no later than 2:30pm. 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:36 PM, Osliwa said:

Hey! I would be happy to give you some insight on the interview day 🙂 I walked in 15 minutes early and there were already a lot of interviewees there so if you can be there earlier than that, I would. During that time, they have some breakfast food to eat if you're hungry (although I did not take advantage of this because I ate before I got there). You get to talk to other interviewees, current students and some faculty during the morning session as well.

After that, we all were moved into another room where they did an introduction of the program. All of the faculty introduced themselves to us and we also all had to stand up and briefly introduce ourselves to everyone! After this, we were split up into different groups and went on a tour of the facility. I will say that unfortunately a lot of the rooms were locked when we went on the tour, so if you've never been to the campus before, it made it hard to fully appreciate the facility. So hopefully they'll have those unlocked for you on your interview day. Once the tour was over, we all came back into the same room and then were split up again based on the letter on our name tag. Some of us went into the group interview while the rest of us took the short medical terminology quiz and survey.

The medical terminology quiz is nothing to stress about. However, they interview committee does see the results of the quiz prior to making their decision that afternoon regarding whether or not you'll be accepted, put on the wait list, or rejected. Maybe just review some basic terms, especially root words. After the quiz, you come back to the room and talk with some current students. Again, take this opportunity to ask whatever questions you want. I personally feel like you get a better feel for a program from the students because they aren't trying to sell the school like admission staff. So they're just being completely honest and transparent with you. We were also shown a video about the program during this little bit of time as well.

The group interviews are typically with about 3-4 interviewees with 3 faculty members. They asked basic interview questions you would expect, but also be prepared for some more obscure questions too. I personally enjoyed my interview and felt like they really just wanted to get to know me. However, a few other people mentioned they were asked some vague questions about anatomy and other science classes during the interview, so I think it may just depend on who is interviewing you. It was also a great opportunity to make it more conversational instead of like your traditional interviews because you could go off of one another answers if wanted to. Some of the questions were directed at one person while others were group questions. I would recommend answering first if you can, but also be mindful of the others in the group interview as well and make sure you don't interrupt them. Also, even if someone has a similar answer as you, don't fret! Just build off of it and make it your own. As long as you're true to yourself and your experiences, it will all be okay. 🙂

Once the group interviews are over, you head to lunch which was catered(at least the day I went for my interview). Again, this is  a great opportunity to sit with current students and ask questions. After lunch is over, you head back into the holding room and anxiously wait to be called back to the "individual interviews". I use quotes here because it's not exactly an interview, rather you are being called back individually and asked if you have anymore questions for the admissions committee and whether or not you have been accepted into the program.  It only took about 5 minutes and then I was headed home for the day! 

Each of my interviews has been a different style and South College's interview was probably the one I was most nervous about just because I'm a quiet person and felt like I wouldn't excel at the group interview setting. Looking back though, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting! Just stay confident, remember you are worthy to be there, and be your authentic self. Also remember you are interviewing South College just as much as they are interviewing you, so make sure to write out a list of questions you genuinely want answered because this is a big decision you're about to make!!! Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do great!!!

P.S. If you need any food recommendations or a list of things to do in Knox, I live in the area so let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Hello, thank you for your detailed response! Is the medical terminology quiz multiple choice? Can you give us examples of "obscure questions" that asked/may ask? Thanks! 

Edited by morganmahaffey22

On 1/26/2020 at 9:32 AM, morganmahaffey22 said:

Hello, thank you for your detailed response! Is the medical terminology quiz multiple choice? Can you give us examples of "obscure questions" that asked/may ask? Thanks! 

Hey! It was multi choice. My interview was in October so I don't remember a lot of the questions on the quiz unfortunately. Some of them just wanted your basic medical terminolgy and others were a little trickier but nothing you can't handle if you know some root words. I wish my memory could serve me better. I'm sorry.