Lipscomb University 2019-2020 Application Cycle

I'm just gonna be helpful to those of you who think you are missing out by not getting in to school this round. If it is for you, you will find a good fit. If not, the healthcare field is wide. I work in the lab and I make about as much as PAs start out making and my associate's degree only cost about 10 grand. There is a lot of student debt, a lot of people will say they don't want to work with you because you aren't a doctor, etc. I personally see a PA as my healthcare provider, but he went to Emory and is extremely intelligent. Anyway, know what you are signing up for. Not everyone is going to like you, and if you are a person or facility that thrives on getting people's acceptance, I would say this field is gonna teach you some hard lessons. Let me hear your opinions on this.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alexnyong

My friend in lipscomb's pharmacy program told me to google the program director of the PA program and found out that  his medical license was on probation due to inappropriate relationships with patients as well as for inappropriate prescribing. 
Is this detrimental to the values and reputation of the program? I'm applying this cycle and from TN so I've been doing research on all schools in the area. 

Edited by alexnyong
info edit

On 2/7/2020 at 6:31 PM, AlexAdkins said:

I have been the person who looks at the forum and doesn't post, but this interview was so good that I will pause my cynical pessimism towards a forum site that crushes a lot of people's days. I have had the opportunity to interview (and accepted to some) at Northeastern, George Washington, Drexel, and Shenandoah. Without a doubt, the Lipscomb experience was unmatched. The happiness and passion from the faculty, the food, the free t-shirt, the interview and personal questions*, and how honest they were blew all of my other experiences out of the water. I may not even get in here, but if you're skeptical about applying, send it on this place!

I am too.  Really excited about this program.  Nashville is the "healthcare capital of the world" so I am not worried about getting a job there afterwards.

Guest alexnyong
3 hours ago, paul10573 said:

alexnyong-

Not sure where you got your information.  I am accepted for this fall and just verified your information is wrong. Are you trying to damage a reputation? You are violating the rules by posting false information.

I would never want to post false information, I was genuinely concerned. I found it here: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/documents/ME011215.pdf page 5 under "section 3. OGC/Disciplinary Business". I mean the information is out there for any one in the state of TN since its an obligation for the medical board review to post publicly about any issues with practicing providers. 

Guest Live19
15 hours ago, alexnyong said:

I would never want to post false information, I was genuinely concerned. I found it here: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/documents/ME011215.pdf page 5 under "section 3. OGC/Disciplinary Business". I mean the information is out there for any one in the state of TN since its an obligation for the medical board review to post publicly about any issues with practicing providers. 

I think that it is important to start your research early because once you are finished with school, you want to work with doctors who practice in an ethical manner. There are government medical board websites that offer information about doctors who have had disciplinary action against them and you can usually make complaints on these websites. So your information is helpful. Thanks

18 hours ago, alexnyong said:

I just read it and it doesn’t say he lost his license or had it suspended.  Big, big difference than what you said. Huge difference. You have slandered him, that has legal implications too. It jus makes me mad that you posted false information.

Guest alexnyong
2 hours ago, paul10573 said:

I just read it and it doesn’t say he lost his license or had it suspended.  Big, big difference than what you said. Huge difference. You have slandered him, that has legal implications too. It jus makes me mad that you posted false information.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/dar/DAR_May_2010.pdf It says license placed on probation on page 3. Regardless, a medical license was compromised so I am wondering how that comes into play with the reputation of the program since that is still a big deal with having medical practices being monitored. But obviously I don't know the full story, so if you do have further information please shed some light if it adds any impact to the program since you are a student there. 

1 hour ago, alexnyong said:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/dar/DAR_May_2010.pdf It says license placed on probation on page 3. Regardless, a medical license was compromised so I am wondering how that comes into play with the reputation of the program since that is still a big deal with having medical practices being monitored. But obviously I don't know the full story, so if you do have further information please shed some light if it adds any impact to the program since you are a student there. 

I just realized, with research and help, this incident happened in 2008.  The 2015 note was simply a follow-up years later.  I asked my father-in-law that is a lawyer and he laughed that you thought it was a problem. He said hundreds of licenses get slaps on the wrist each year.  If his license wasn't revoked, surrendered or suspended, then it doesn't matter anymore.  My father-in-law said he looked at the Board page and he has practiced continuously for 16 years in the state. I'm not worried. It is just so different than what you originally said. Not sure how it would affect the program since ARC-PA has already accredited them in 2018.  Not sure how you think it might have an impact when it happened more than a decade ago and, according to the Board in TN, has never had a disruption in his practice.  I trust the Board and ARC-PA. Each person has a right to their own opinion. If you don't trust it, that is fine. It is just you had posted false information originally. I'm still going this fall! Best of luck to others.

• Like 1

Guest Live19

I just realized, with research and help, this incident happened in 2008.  The 2015 note was simply a follow-up years later.  I asked my father-in-law that is a lawyer and he laughed that you thought it was a problem. He said hundreds of licenses get slaps on the wrist each year.  If his license wasn't revoked, surrendered or suspended, then it doesn't matter anymore.  My father-in-law said he looked at the Board page and he has practiced continuously for 16 years in the state. I'm not worried. It is just so different than what you originally said. Not sure how it would affect the program since ARC-PA has already accredited them in 2018.  Not sure how you think it might have an impact when it happened more than a decade ago and, according to the Board in TN, has never had a disruption in his practice.  I trust the Board and ARC-PA. Each person has a right to their own opinion. If you don't trust it, that is fine. It is just you had posted false information originally. I'm still going this fall! Best of luck to others.

Maybe ask your father-in-law what the definition of slander is. 

Guest Live19

Really glad you got in and I didn't. Have fun you all!

11 hours ago, ThePrePA52 said:

I am fully confident that this program is a wonderful choice for me.  Can't wait to see Paul and others this coming August!  I don't regret my decision on choosing Lipscomb not one bit.  There's more to a program than one person's decisions from the past.  With that being said and the cycle about to open up, if anyone wants any feedback/advice then hit me up!  I want nothing more than to help others get into school!  Seriously, reach out if you have questions or anything.  Don't let others' negative mindsets take away from your happiness.  Do make sure you do your research on schools though and make your own decisions for what's best for you!

Well said!  I can't wait.  Paul is actually my husband's name.  I will reach out in the private Facebook group to you.  I use my husband's name because I found out programs monitor these forums pretty closely.  I was interviewing at South and they had a faculty member that checked the forum daily.  UAB does as well (that is what my interviewer told me there when I asked). I'm sure others do.

Anyone with questions, I will be glad to help!  Good luck!

• Downvote 1

Guest alexnyong
On 3/15/2020 at 2:58 PM, paul10573 said:

I understand it happened a long time ago and do not know the full story or details. I didn't post false information and provided sources. I spoke to a buddy who attends the pharm school and has had him as a professor. He told me he's gotten weird vibes, but it could also be that he got a poor grade in his class and is bitter 😆 I understand mistakes happen, but I hope they use it as a teaching point to a group of future providers of what NOT to do when working. That would be a respectable way to take a negative experience and turn it into a positive.  I don't mean to judge the program with just this one fact, but I'm human and I judge and I think it irked me most that it's a Christian institution  with a leader who's made a mistake like this (lets be real, inappropriate relations with a patient? a PA could never get a "slap on the wrist" for that, physicians have the power to). Maybe it is wrong of me to put more religious institutions on a pedestal and thats my fault, but it makes it so much worse and thats an opinion I am entitled to. Again, if they use it as a learning opportunity to teach students right from wrong that's great. Good luck to you, PA school is a big achievement! I hope to go to an open house for their program to see it for myself. 

Guest Live19
16 hours ago, paul10573 said:

Well said!  I can't wait.  Paul is actually my husband's name.  I will reach out in the private Facebook group to you.  I use my husband's name because I found out programs monitor these forums pretty closely.  I was interviewing at South and they had a faculty member that checked the forum daily.  UAB does as well (that is what my interviewer told me there when I asked). I'm sure others do.

Anyone with questions, I will be glad to help!  Good luck!

Why would you ask that question during an interview? 

Guest Live19
12 hours ago, alexnyong said:

I understand it happened a long time ago and do not know the full story or details. I didn't post false information and provided sources. I spoke to a buddy who attends the pharm school and has had him as a professor. He told me he's gotten weird vibes, but it could also be that he got a poor grade in his class and is bitter 😆 I understand mistakes happen, but I hope they use it as a teaching point to a group of future providers of what NOT to do when working. That would be a respectable way to take a negative experience and turn it into a positive.  I don't mean to judge the program with just this one fact, but I'm human and I judge and I think it irked me most that it's a Christian institution  with a leader who's made a mistake like this (lets be real, inappropriate relations with a patient? a PA could never get a "slap on the wrist" for that, physicians have the power to). Maybe it is wrong of me to put more religious institutions on a pedestal and thats my fault, but it makes it so much worse and thats an opinion I am entitled to. Again, if they use it as a learning opportunity to teach students right from wrong that's great. Good luck to you, PA school is a big achievement! I hope to go to an open house for their program to see it for myself. 

Alex, I totally understand. I have actually worked with doctors like the one you are describing. It makes the whole office uncomfortable. I will say though, everyone has skeletons in their closet. I grew up in the church, we all make bad decisions. However, it makes it a whole lot worse when people act as though they have no flaws. Those are usually the ones who are hiding the most. So, when I hear or see something that seems too good to be true, it usually is. 

Edited by Live19

17 hours ago, Live19 said:

Why would you ask that question during an interview? 

I didn't ask the question.  When UAB mentioned the forum, I asked which forum and they explained. South volunteered the information. Several programs took time to talk about things that hurt applicants.  The most common were social media posts and forum posts. Multiple programs mentioned those issues.

Edited by paul10573