Sign in to follow this  
nononono

Philadelphia area post-bacc pre-recs?

Hi all. Thanks in advance.

I am moving to Philadelphia in a month and am looking toward applying to PA schools in the future. I have a bachelors degree in psychology but will need to make up a number of the science pre-requisites. Does anyone have experience or information on acquiring such credits in the Philadelphia area, or how to go about acquiring such info?

Thanks so much

There are also a number of local community colleges that offer all prerequisites at a much more affordable price. I live in the Philly area (well just outside of) and have spoken with many schools offering PA programs in the state. The overwhelming response I've received is that they accept community college credits and that those credits do not hinder applications (assuming those grades are in-line with grades from your university).

Thomas Jefferson University is starting a post bacc program pre med, pre pharmd program this fall. They have a 1 year accelerated or a two year program. They also have shadowing and volunteer opportunities throughout their hospitals that will be associated with the post bacc program. There was even talk last year that they were going to start a PA program in 2014.

There are also a number of local community colleges that offer all prerequisites at a much more affordable price. I live in the Philly area (well just outside of) and have spoken with many schools offering PA programs in the state. The overwhelming response I've received is that they accept community college credits and that those credits do not hinder applications (assuming those grades are in-line with grades from your university).

I think that PCOMM is the exception to this, but I may be wrong.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cranlut27
      Does anyone know what the pre-requisites are for this school?I haven't seen them listed anywhere. 
    • By Alicep1990
      Anyone know of any PA programs that would take technical/trade school credits?
    • By rfinch
      Hey everyone,
      The first half of the interview cycle for 2017-2018 is winding down, and I'm wondering how I can make myself a more competitive applicant during the next CASPA cycle on the off chance that I don't get accepted anywhere this year. I've already met the pre-reqs for my schools of interest, but I'm not sure whether or not I should continue to take additional upper division science courses or simply focus on acquiring more HCE and volunteer experience.
      Currently, I have  3.98 GPA, a 4.0 science GPA, an MA in Cultural Anthropology, 600+ volunteer hours (many of which were overseas), and approximately 2300 HCE hours as an EMT. I've been waitlisted at 1 school and have yet to receive any additional interviews (most likely due to the fact that I didn't submit my apps until the end of August/mid-September).
      During the next semester, I could enroll in O Chem II and Developmental Psych while working 36-48 hours per week and volunteering occasionally, however, this course of action would require that I take out additional student loans. On the other hand, I could simply acquire more HCE hours and volunteer at free clinics in my area. Any thoughts on which course of action would look better to PA school adcoms?
      Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
    • By futurePAinPA23
      Hey! I am applying to PA school this cycle, but I have not had much luck with finding PAs to shadow in Montgomery county/the Philadelphia region. If anyone can help me out, please let me know! I've tried contacting multiple practices, but have not heard back.
    • By GAPeAch20
      Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am looking forward to a great application cycle.

My CASPA is verified and I am awaiting supp. app.

Let's keep each other posted! 

Good Luck!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More