Jump to content
scurles1

Sullivan University 2019-2020 Application Cycle

Recommended Posts

Hi, I am a fellow Kentucky resident and will be applying to Sullivan...I had a couple questions regarding GPA calculations 

 

- So my science GPA is higher than 3.0 since I have taken advanced science courses as well as a Masters degree with some higher level science courses but apparently CAPSA does GPA based on the basic BCP way and that for me is lower than 3.0. Will this weed out my CASPA application from applying to Sullivan as it is my top choice?

- Can my graduate science GPA play a role in my overall science GPA as well? 

 

Thank you in advance,

from an excited future PA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Submitted 5/15, verified 5/17. 

No email confirmation from Sullivan as of yet.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, AmbitiousPA2B said:

Hi, I am a fellow Kentucky resident and will be applying to Sullivan...I had a couple questions regarding GPA calculations 

 

- So my science GPA is higher than 3.0 since I have taken advanced science courses as well as a Masters degree with some higher level science courses but apparently CAPSA does GPA based on the basic BCP way and that for me is lower than 3.0. Will this weed out my CASPA application from applying to Sullivan as it is my top choice?

- Can my graduate science GPA play a role in my overall science GPA as well? 

 

Thank you in advance,

from an excited future PA

If your Overall Science GPA is lower than 3.0 and Sullivan requires a 3.0 for science, they will most likely drop your application unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sent in my application 6/5 and was verified on 6/7. I’ve gotten confirmation emails from all of my other schools besides Sullivan. Has anyone heard anything back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email from them that said the application must be verified by August first (mine already says verified so I think I’m good...) and that they would start to do interview invites after this deadline. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I called and they said that the confirmation emails will most likely come out in the next two weeks. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Leah37 said:

Received a confirmation email this afternoon. 

Me too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received an email stating that my application has been verified and that interview invites won't go out until after the application deadline of August 1st. Best of luck to you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if they require a supplemental application? I have the applicant's manual of PA programs for 2019 & the manual says it does & that there's a $100 fee for it. However, I don''t see anywhere on their website about a supplemental?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlucianox3 said:

Does anyone know if they require a supplemental application? I have the applicant's manual of PA programs for 2019 & the manual says it does & that there's a $100 fee for it. However, I don''t see anywhere on their website about a supplemental?

Pretty sure it’s if you receive an interview invite! So you don’t fill it out until you receive an invite 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi, I am a fellow Kentucky resident and will be applying to Sullivan...I had a couple questions regarding GPA calculations 
 
- So my science GPA is higher than 3.0 since I have taken advanced science courses as well as a Masters degree with some higher level science courses but apparently CAPSA does GPA based on the basic BCP way and that for me is lower than 3.0. Will this weed out my CASPA application from applying to Sullivan as it is my top choice?
- Can my graduate science GPA play a role in my overall science GPA as well? 
 
Thank you in advance,
from an excited future PA


So from what I understand is that they calculate their own separate Math/Science GPA outside of CASPA using only 6 classes (Anatomy & Physiology, Gen Chem 1&2 w lab, microbiology and stats) it’s in their FAQ


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

I applied this cycle to Sullivan. It is my top choice! I was wanting to ask anyone who had been accepted previously or who is a student now if I have a shot at getting in?

 

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.53

Upward trend for both GPAs.

 

PCE: 2,777 hours as an ER tech

HCE: 1,120 (180 of these were volunteer hours in a hospital, the rest was from being a medical scribe in an ER) 

Volunteer: 180 hours, but I ended up listing under HCE because I was indirectly helping patients

Shadowing: 28 hours (I feel like I should have done a lot more here)

Leadership: 152 hours as chief medical scribe 

As an undergrad, I didn’t do a lot of volunteer hours because I felt stretched thin due to my jobs and my heavy course load. I wish I would have done more.

also, I didn’t do much shadowing, this was because I’ve worked with PAs for about 4.5 years and I feel I understand the role of a PA well.

 

Do you feel I have a chance? 

Edited by EmergencyPA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, EmergencyPA said:

Hi all!

I applied this cycle to Sullivan. It is my top choice! I was wanting to ask anyone who had been accepted previously or who is a student now if I have a shot at getting in?

 

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.53

Upward trend for both GPAs.

 

PCE: 2,777 hours as an ER tech

HCE: 1,120 (180 of these were volunteer hours in a hospital, the rest was from being a medical scribe in an ER) 

Volunteer: 180 hours, but I ended up listing under HCE because I was indirectly helping patients

Shadowing: 28 hours (I feel like I should have done a lot more here)

Leadership: 152 hours as chief medical scribe 

As an undergrad, I didn’t do a lot of volunteer hours because I felt stretched thin due to my jobs and my heavy course load. I wish I would have done more.

also, I didn’t do much shadowing, this was because I’ve worked with PAs for about 4.5 years and I feel I understand the role of a PA well.

 

Do you feel I have a chance? 

I've seen people with a lower GPA, less hours, and what I might think isn't a very relevant PCE get accepted and thrive in PA school.  If anything the process of applying and going through all this has taught me that you always have a chance.  The waiting is the hardest, and all you need is for one school, one committee to give you the green light.  Keep your head in the game, stay focused.  Surround yourself with people who support your dreams and are positive influences.  Don't give up even if you don't get in this cycle.  Think about how many applicants are on their second or third year trying.  If becoming a PA was easy it wouldn't be worth it.  You got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I’m a current first year at Sullivan! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program! Good luck everyone! 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, EmergencyPA said:

Hi all!

I applied this cycle to Sullivan. It is my top choice! I was wanting to ask anyone who had been accepted previously or who is a student now if I have a shot at getting in?

 

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.53

Upward trend for both GPAs.

 

PCE: 2,777 hours as an ER tech

HCE: 1,120 (180 of these were volunteer hours in a hospital, the rest was from being a medical scribe in an ER) 

Volunteer: 180 hours, but I ended up listing under HCE because I was indirectly helping patients

Shadowing: 28 hours (I feel like I should have done a lot more here)

Leadership: 152 hours as chief medical scribe 

As an undergrad, I didn’t do a lot of volunteer hours because I felt stretched thin due to my jobs and my heavy course load. I wish I would have done more.

also, I didn’t do much shadowing, this was because I’ve worked with PAs for about 4.5 years and I feel I understand the role of a PA well.

 

Do you feel I have a chance? 

You have great stats, I think you do have a shot of getting in! The way CASPA sets up PA shadowing as separate from working with a PA is super dumb. I only had 16 shadowing hours labeled in my application, but under my scribing experience I specified that I worked with PAs as well. In my interview I was asked why I didn't have more shadowing hours and I explained that I worked with PAs as a scribe and they counted that, so I think you should be good there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cgates812 said:

You have great stats, I think you do have a shot of getting in! The way CASPA sets up PA shadowing as separate from working with a PA is super dumb. I only had 16 shadowing hours labeled in my application, but under my scribing experience I specified that I worked with PAs as well. In my interview I was asked why I didn't have more shadowing hours and I explained that I worked with PAs as a scribe and they counted that, so I think you should be good there!

Thank you so much! Do you know when they start sending out interview invites? I know it’s after the application submission deadline but I didn’t know if it was around mid August or around September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More