Sullivan University 2019-2020 Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am a fellow Kentucky resident and will be applying to Sullivan...I had a couple questions regarding GPA calculations 

- So my science GPA is higher than 3.0 since I have taken advanced science courses as well as a Masters degree with some higher level science courses but apparently CAPSA does GPA based on the basic BCP way and that for me is lower than 3.0. Will this weed out my CASPA application from applying to Sullivan as it is my top choice?

- Can my graduate science GPA play a role in my overall science GPA as well? 

Thank you in advance,

from an excited future PA

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, AmbitiousPA2B said:

Hi, I am a fellow Kentucky resident and will be applying to Sullivan...I had a couple questions regarding GPA calculations 

- So my science GPA is higher than 3.0 since I have taken advanced science courses as well as a Masters degree with some higher level science courses but apparently CAPSA does GPA based on the basic BCP way and that for me is lower than 3.0. Will this weed out my CASPA application from applying to Sullivan as it is my top choice?

Thank you in advance,

If your Overall Science GPA is lower than 3.0 and Sullivan requires a 3.0 for science, they will most likely drop your application unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mlucianox3 said:

Does anyone know if they require a supplemental application? I have the applicant's manual of PA programs for 2019 & the manual says it does & that there's a $100 fee for it. However, I don''t see anywhere on their website about a supplemental?

Pretty sure it’s if you receive an interview invite! So you don’t fill it out until you receive an invite 

• Like 1

Thank you in advance,

So from what I understand is that they calculate their own separate Math/Science GPA outside of CASPA using only 6 classes (Anatomy & Physiology, Gen Chem 1&2 w lab, microbiology and stats) it’s in their FAQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, EmergencyPA said:

Hi all!

I applied this cycle to Sullivan. It is my top choice! I was wanting to ask anyone who had been accepted previously or who is a student now if I have a shot at getting in?

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.53

Upward trend for both GPAs.

PCE: 2,777 hours as an ER tech

HCE: 1,120 (180 of these were volunteer hours in a hospital, the rest was from being a medical scribe in an ER) 

Volunteer: 180 hours, but I ended up listing under HCE because I was indirectly helping patients

Shadowing: 28 hours (I feel like I should have done a lot more here)

Leadership: 152 hours as chief medical scribe 

As an undergrad, I didn’t do a lot of volunteer hours because I felt stretched thin due to my jobs and my heavy course load. I wish I would have done more.

also, I didn’t do much shadowing, this was because I’ve worked with PAs for about 4.5 years and I feel I understand the role of a PA well.

Do you feel I have a chance? 

I've seen people with a lower GPA, less hours, and what I might think isn't a very relevant PCE get accepted and thrive in PA school.  If anything the process of applying and going through all this has taught me that you always have a chance.  The waiting is the hardest, and all you need is for one school, one committee to give you the green light.  Keep your head in the game, stay focused.  Surround yourself with people who support your dreams and are positive influences.  Don't give up even if you don't get in this cycle.  Think about how many applicants are on their second or third year trying.  If becoming a PA was easy it wouldn't be worth it.  You got this!

On 7/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, EmergencyPA said:

Hi all!

I applied this cycle to Sullivan. It is my top choice! I was wanting to ask anyone who had been accepted previously or who is a student now if I have a shot at getting in?

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.53

Upward trend for both GPAs.

PCE: 2,777 hours as an ER tech

HCE: 1,120 (180 of these were volunteer hours in a hospital, the rest was from being a medical scribe in an ER) 

Volunteer: 180 hours, but I ended up listing under HCE because I was indirectly helping patients

Shadowing: 28 hours (I feel like I should have done a lot more here)

Leadership: 152 hours as chief medical scribe 

As an undergrad, I didn’t do a lot of volunteer hours because I felt stretched thin due to my jobs and my heavy course load. I wish I would have done more.

also, I didn’t do much shadowing, this was because I’ve worked with PAs for about 4.5 years and I feel I understand the role of a PA well.

Do you feel I have a chance? 

You have great stats, I think you do have a shot of getting in! The way CASPA sets up PA shadowing as separate from working with a PA is super dumb. I only had 16 shadowing hours labeled in my application, but under my scribing experience I specified that I worked with PAs as well. In my interview I was asked why I didn't have more shadowing hours and I explained that I worked with PAs as a scribe and they counted that, so I think you should be good there!

2 hours ago, cgates812 said:

You have great stats, I think you do have a shot of getting in! The way CASPA sets up PA shadowing as separate from working with a PA is super dumb. I only had 16 shadowing hours labeled in my application, but under my scribing experience I specified that I worked with PAs as well. In my interview I was asked why I didn't have more shadowing hours and I explained that I worked with PAs as a scribe and they counted that, so I think you should be good there!

Thank you so much! Do you know when they start sending out interview invites? I know it’s after the application submission deadline but I didn’t know if it was around mid August or around September.

3 hours ago, EmergencyPA said:

Thank you so much! Do you know when they start sending out interview invites? I know it’s after the application submission deadline but I didn’t know if it was around mid August or around September.

Last year the initial interview invites were sent out in mid September I believe. I don't know for sure about this year but I would assume it would be around the same timeline. Hang in there!