2019-2020 Application Cycle

1 hour ago, KJB1980 said:

Local, and no interview. Not too surprised. No military experience, and my healthcare experience is as a clinical social worker (mental health therapist), so maybe not as hands-on as UNC prefers. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m local too, UNC alumni, UNC employee, no military background, and no interview !

2 hours ago, KJB1980 said:

Local, and no interview. Not too surprised. No military experience, and my healthcare experience is as a clinical social worker (mental health therapist), so maybe not as hands-on as UNC prefers. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm local- 14 years as a Special Forces Medical Sergeant in the Army. Countless hours of healthcare experience- even running my own clinics overseas and I've worked at Duke during my hospital rotations. No interview. So you aren't the only one. 

42 minutes ago, Jhighlander73 said:

I'm local- 14 years as a Special Forces Medical Sergeant in the Army. Countless hours of healthcare experience- even running my own clinics overseas and I've worked at Duke during my hospital rotations. No interview. So you aren't the only one. 

Wow! That’s incredible! Hope you’re getting lots of interest from other programs! Are your GPA and GRE scores reasonable? My GPA is near perfect, overall GRE score of 315, but moderately low quantitative score (150). 🤷🏻‍♀️

6 minutes ago, RNtoPA19 said:

I’m right there with y’all! I’ve worked for UNC 3 years as an RN, good GPA and GRE, no interview 😞 best of luck to those who did! UNC is an amazing place to be!

Well, I'm sorry for all of us, but it is making me feel better that so many amazing candidates were overlooked! Did any of you apply to Campbell? I did, thinking it wasn't my top choice but that I'd check it out. I had an interview there last week and actually really liked it. Got my acceptance call the next day. I still have at least one more interview, but I'd absolutely be happy to end up at Campbell. Everyone there was super supportive -- like a big family. They stressed over and over again how non-competitive the environment is, that everyone shares everything, that no one gets left behind. The students on the panel (maybe 12-15 of them) had a really difficult time naming anything they DIDN'T like about the program. 

1 hour ago, KJB1980 said:

Wow! That’s incredible! Hope you’re getting lots of interest from other programs! Are your GPA and GRE scores reasonable? My GPA is near perfect, overall GRE score of 315, but moderately low quantitative score (150). 🤷🏻‍♀️

I also had a 315 GRE, but I didn't study so maybe if I did I would do better if I did. GPA is reasonable, but could be higher and that's the only thing I see others having that is higher than mine. I took my pre-reqs while on active duty ( I left a lot for training and deployments) so while not a straight A student, my grades are not horrible. No interest so far. I will just keep trying. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jhighlander73 said:

I also had a 315 GRE, but I didn't study so maybe if I did I would do better if I did. GPA is reasonable, but could be higher and that's the only thing I see others having that is higher than mine. I took my pre-reqs while on active duty ( I left a lot for training and deployments) so while not a straight A student, my grades are not horrible. No interest so far. I will just keep trying. 

Bummer. Sorry to hear. It seems that showing you could complete pre-reqs while on active duty would prove your ability to buckle down and get stuff done! I'm impressed. Where else did you apply?

Hi everyone!

Congratulations to all that received an interview coming up! I’m coming in super early Friday to make the optional day and I’m flying in from Chicago. I’m looking at air bnbs in the area and found some kinda far out there. Anyone interested in sharing a space for the weekend?  Can’t wait to meet everyone! 

48 minutes ago, JSprePA said:

I am local from NC and got my invite email on Thursday around 3ish. Not sure if they sent them all at the same time or are staggering them or what. But I’m super excited and nervous for the interview!

Well there goes that theory! LOL. Congrats and best of luck, @JSprePA and all others interviewing! I think you'll love the area!

On 9/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, KJB1980 said:

Hey, I did not get an invite, but I live in the area. If you're still having trouble finding hotels, check out the pins I dropped on this map. These are decent hotels that are just inside Durham, so the drive to UNC isn't bad (10-15 minutes, depending on traffic). If you can't see the pins, just look for hotels around the intersection of 15-501 and 40. These include Springhill Suites, Homewood Suites, and Staybridge Suites. (I'd personally avoid Red Roof Inn.) Let me know if I can help you guys out in any other way!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10PtNmbJtrcboJXbRhmDSXP3ycK56dUAD&usp=sharing

Hello! I am staying at a hotel in the airport because it was the least expensive option and will be convenient for my flights. I am trying to decide if I should rent a car or Uber. Renting a car would likely be cheaper than driving back and forth from the airport. However, I am concerned about the parking and traffic situation on a game day. Any thoughts? Check in for my interview is 7:30am Saturday the 28th. I will also be attending the optional events at noon on Friday and that evening. 

14 minutes ago, Kc2020 said:

Hello! I am staying at a hotel in the airport because it was the least expensive option and will be convenient for my flights. I am trying to decide if I should rent a car or Uber. Renting a car would likely be cheaper than driving back and forth from the airport. However, I am concerned about the parking and traffic situation on a game day. Any thoughts? Check in for my interview is 7:30am Saturday the 28th. I will also be attending the optional events at noon on Friday and that evening. 

Finding a parking space in Dogwood parking lot is very hard especially on Friday afternoon. You need to give yourself good 30 min to go up and down to find a space.