DEA registration question

Good Morning,

I am getting conflicting information on this question and thought I'd ask my colleagues here on the forum for their suggestions.  I used to have two DEA registrations in two neighboring states, as I practiced in both.  When I consolidated my work in the one state, I let the second DEA registration expire.  I then left practice in the second state nine months ago to take an academic position (and have not been working as a PA since that time).  The active DEA registration in the second state will expire next month.  As I do plan to return to practice within three months, I thought I should renew the existing DEA, and then transfer it to the state in which I will be practicing (which, coincidentally, is the state in which I allowed the second DEA to expire three years ago).  I could allow the current DEA registration to expire, and then seek new DEA registration in this state, but I typically see "active DEA" as a requirement of employment on job descriptions. I am still licensed in both states.

But, as I am not currently practicing at the location that is tied to my DEA, I was unsure of the legalities of renewal.  As a PA, am I allowed to be DEA registered without being presently in a "collaborative" relationship with a physician and a practice?  I do know that I am required to notify the DEA of any changes in address and in location, and I did not do this when I left the previous practice because: 1) there was a legitimate question of my continued part-time employment there, as I have skills and certifications that my replacement did not, and, 2) I knew I would not be practicing anywhere else while completing my teaching contract.

Thanks is advance for your thoughts.

I would update your active DEA with your current state/practice address .  Use the school address for now.  So long as your license shows active status, then you can keep your DEA active.  You, of course, will not practice/write Rx's without a collaborative physician.  

Yes, you can transfer a DEA from one state to another, as is clearly stated on the governmental website (which of course I did consult). I am also aware of having to pay for two registrations in two different states, if one is prescribing in two states (which again I stated I had done in my first post). 

My question was whether I could transfer the DEA registration without having yet secured employment as a PA in the state to which I would make the transfer.  It did not occur to me that I might use the college address (thank you for that idea, DizzyJ).

As grateful as I'm sure our colleagues in this thread will be that you pointed out repeatedly items in your original post that they may have misread, missed or misunderstood from lack of clarity you may consider calling the DEA and speaking to a representative (as mentioned above in post) to get such a question answered