My employer broke our contract like it wasn't a big deal. I'm thinking about quitting because I do not agree with the new terms. Have you ever quit your job and regretted later? Any advice on how to do this without burning any bridge? Do I still need to give 3 months notice as stated in the contract? 

I already updated my resume and started applying. Kind of upset with the whole situation. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

46 minutes ago, BayPAC said:

My employer broke our contract like it wasn't a big deal. I'm thinking about quitting because I do not agree with the new terms. Have you ever quit your job and regretted later? Any advice on how to do this without burning any bridge? Do I still need to give 3 months notice as stated in the contract? 

I already updated my resume and started applying. Kind of upset with the whole situation. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

If your contract was truly broken by your employer, I would think your obligations to keep your part of the deal are off too. Talk to a lawyer to be certain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My employer unilaterally changed the terms of my employment 6 weeks after I started work. I was very angry and when they sent me a new "contract" to sign I refused stating it wasn't a contract. It was the mandated terms of my continued employment. We bumped and rubbed a bit. I never signed it but I did stay on. I have resigned myself to this type of behavior as I have no power over it. It is very much "take it or leave it."

I am well paid. Don't work all that hard though I do work a lot. I really enjoy the people I work with. I'm glad I stayed rather than leaving when I was mad.

21 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

My employer unilaterally changed the terms of my employment 6 weeks after I started work. I was very angry and when they sent me a new "contract" to sign I refused stating it wasn't a contract. It was the mandated terms of my continued employment. We bumped and rubbed a bit. I never signed it but I did stay on. I have resigned myself to this type of behavior as I have no power over it. It is very much "take it or leave it."

I am well paid. Don't work all that hard though I do work a lot. I really enjoy the people I work with. I'm glad I stayed rather than leaving when I was mad.

In my 36 years EVERY position (aside from current) has at some point changed the terms which surprisingly were never in my favor.

It happens all the time.  Clinics are bought out, merge etc.  Usually when this happens the new management requires the providers to all sign new contracts.  Unless they are torpedo'ing your pay, benefits or schedule I would not worry about it too much.  Having said that, pay very close attention to the fine print like the non-compete clause.  They have a long history of trying to sneak in things like increasing the distance of these.  Also watch for the deleting of the "company will pay for tail" on your malpractice.  That is one I caught one time.  Talk about a deal breaker.  Had I not of read the new contract I would have completely missed it.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:14 PM, BayPAC said:

My employer broke our contract like it wasn't a big deal.

Can you be more specific? Changing your pay and/or responsibilities is a lot different than not paying for parking or changing access to the physician lounge.

Like others have said, would definitely talk to an attorney regarding your obligations and if this truly was breach of contract.

You don't burn bridges by supporting your immediate supervisor and co-workers. That means not leaving them out to dry generally, so working for 3 months past giving notice if that's the standard. You're going to want/need references from these people.

1 hour ago, BayPAC said:

They have done all the above

Then start looking, but I advise to get another job before you quit that one out of anger, no matter how justified it is.

Also, if another job did present itself I would jump on it.  They broke the contract so waiting for your full notice is fine, unless it interferes with the new job start date.

Edited by Cideous
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. Get out of that place. If they've pulled this crap once then they'll do it again or something equally shady. You owe them nothing.

Oh. Unless there are legal ramifications. Then you might owe them time. Lawyer up if you anticipate a fight. Worth it.

Edited by MediMike
Second paragraph
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

So what does the contract in question say about unilateral modifications?  A contract is a legally binding agreement, and should have teeth to prevent unilateral modification.  If it doesn't, then it's not a contract at all in that both sides don't have obligations...

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure that if you broke your side of the agreement- quitting without giving notice, telling your patients to come see you at the new place, talking your colleagues into coming on over- they would be fine letting it slide.

Heh.  Both sides should be held to the standard.  If they thought it important enough to put it in writing, and then have you sign it- its probably important.

What I'm trying to say is, they broke the contract.  You are now clear. 

PS.  I am not a lawyer.  Nor a lawyer's assistant.

• Upvote 2