Failed Chem 2 twice.. do I still have a chance?

Hi everyone, so I just finished my second year of undergrad and it looks like I'm going to be failing Chem 2 AGAIN. Let me explain, last year (spring semester) 4 days before finals week, my brother died in a motor cycle accident, it was very sudden and because of my mental state I failed Chem 2 and Bio 2 (D's in both) because I had no motivation to study after the news and basically bombed both finals. SO, I know what you're thinking--why didn't I tell my professors and get a G grade or an incomplete? because well I was a dumb freshman who stupidly assumed they wouldn't be able to help. Biggest regret ever.

Anyways, this fall I retook Bio 2 and got a B, so not ideal but I had additional stressors that added to a tough adjustment fall semester (very recently diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes). But, I just finished retaking Chem2 and it looks like I'm getting a D again... my school allows me to retake it a third time, but is it useless? Are my dreams of becoming a PA just completely over? I already have a C in Bio1 and Chem 1 from 1st semester freshman year so my GPA isn't where it needs to be at all.  I'm frustrated because I have finally found my footing and determination after a very stressful first year but I feel like its too late for recovery with my grades. 

Please be brutally honest with me. 

I'm sorry to hear about your hardships and I am not a professional in the PA world. But I've failed many classes, I've never failed the same class twice and I am applying this cycle. However, I would say that if you took chem 2 again, achieved an A and then went on to do very well in classes like Orgo, Biochem, Genetics, etc and other higher level science classes that you could prove you are able to succeed in high level material. Will it be a hurdle to jump over? Yes absolutely, but you aren't the first person to pursue PA school having failed classes.

I do want to give you some advice. If you are not ready mentally to take these classes or any classes for that matter, stop taking them. Take a semester off, evaluate where you are, what you want to be and how you can get there. The worst thing you can do is force yourself to take classe when you aren't ready and then fail more. Good luck. 

Bottom line:  the only way to know is for you to take (and pass, ideally with an A) chem and any other courses where you don't have at LEAST a C (depending on PA program minimum requirements).

You already know your GPA likely needs a lot of improving.  It's really too soon to tell.  You've got several years before you can apply anyway.  If you want to try to be a PA, take the courses, get A's, and see what happens.  If you don't retake the course then no, you don't have a shot.

Contrary to the above I don't know that I'd say taking a semester off of school completely is necessary.  You seem to be doing fine in your other courses which tells me on some level you can handle what's going on in your life.  Maybe you just need help with chemistry.

Archived