FLORIDA: Florida State University Cycle 2019-2020

Due to the official start of the 2019-2020 CASPA Cycle I decided to start this forum to facilitate discussion and be available for any questions you may have about the program. Myself and other students of the Class of 2020 are in the middle of our didactic phase and students of the Class of 2019 are out on their clinical rotations. There are several of us who are fairly active on this website and will try to be available whenever possible. Best of luck on applying and remember to apply early. Go Noles!

FSU PA program link: https://med.fsu.edu/pa/home

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First time applicant and FSU graduate! I would love to return to FSU for PA school. I am currently looking at the supplemental questions portion of CASPA and it asks "are there any weaknesses in your application". I have a 3.7 GPA and 311 GRE score however only about 1300 PCE hours, which is usually lower than most applicants. I know that FSU requires 500 hours so would you guy think that 1300 hours would be something that I should consider a weakness and write about? 

Amanda0922,

Great question! Your GPA and GRE scores are excellent, and your PCE hours are fine as well. I’m sure it would be okay to list your PCE hours as a weakness, or if they were in a single setting that could be a weakness also - a lack of exposure to differing health careers or environments. For myself, I had a couple of C’s on my  undergrad transcript that I used as my weakness and offered explanations for this. Hope that helps.

Is there an additional supplemental application that we need to complete or is it just the CASPA application, CASPer test, and CASPA submission fee? On their website, it mentions "payment of supplemental application fee" but I submitted my application to CASPA and it was verified and sent to FSU over two weeks ago and I have not heard anything further, nor do I see a link on the PA program website that allows you to access a supplemental application. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

A question for any of the prospective or current students. As of now I've applied to 13 schools, my CASPA was verified beginning of June. My stats are as follows. GPA- 3.12, GRE-303, over 6,000 hours HCE as an ER tech and MA, over 200 shadowing a PA, excellent letters of rec.  I would like to apply to this school but after realizing my extreme downfall with my GPA being much lower than others I've seen, I'm becoming discouraged. My freshman year I had a couple Cs and a D which I would mentioned in the supplemental, since then its been all As and few Bs. 

Would it be worth it to apply this late in the cycle with my stats? I would love extremely honest brutal answers, I need to strengthen my application where I can. I'm 29 and a couple of my science courses are 10 years old as of this year, making this probably my last year applying (my 3rd cycle) unless there's something I'm missing that I can do to increase my chances. 

On 7/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, Kdean said:

A question for any of the prospective or current students. As of now I've applied to 13 schools, my CASPA was verified beginning of June. My stats are as follows. GPA- 3.12, GRE-303, over 6,000 hours HCE as an ER tech and MA, over 200 shadowing a PA, excellent letters of rec.  I would like to apply to this school but after realizing my extreme downfall with my GPA being much lower than others I've seen, I'm becoming discouraged. My freshman year I had a couple Cs and a D which I would mentioned in the supplemental, since then its been all As and few Bs. 

Would it be worth it to apply this late in the cycle with my stats? I would love extremely honest brutal answers, I need to strengthen my application where I can. I'm 29 and a couple of my science courses are 10 years old as of this year, making this probably my last year applying (my 3rd cycle) unless there's something I'm missing that I can do to increase my chances. 

I had similar stats as you (you have a lot more hours than I did) , I submitted my application around this time last year,  and I got accepted.  Have faith in yourself! As long as your personal statement rocks,  I believe you have a chance for an interview.  Do awesome on your interview,  and you CAN get accepted.  You just have to show them why you deserve to be there.  The worst that can happen is you regret not applying and not taking the chance. I would say that if this school strikes your interest,  APPLY! 🙂

GOOD LUCK!!!!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, Kdean said:

I also think you should apply. Although your GPA is not the strongest, your grades are trending in the right direction. By providing a good explanation for you lackluster grades early on in your college career and being strong elsewhere in the application, you may stand a chance. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Urszula said:

I have not received anything from FSU yet and I'm getting a little nervous. When do they interview?

From last year's cycle, the first round of interview invites where sent out around the end of September.

Sadly, more waiting.

Edited by MW2017
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Urszula said:

Did you do their supplemental? I saw on their page it was required but I never got a link to it.

I applied around early May, got an email from them May 31with a link to the supplemental. It was just a link to pay $30

June 25 I got an email saying my app was being reviewed and then I got email this past week for an interview sept 9

Edited by fishingintheC
Edited to add interview info
  • Upvote 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:57 PM, fishingintheC said:

I applied around early May, got an email from them May 31with a link to the supplemental. It was just a link to pay $30

June 25 I got an email saying my app was being reviewed and then I got email this past week for an interview sept 9

Gotcha! Thanks so much for that- I did pay the $30, I was just confused. Good luck on your interview!!

On 8/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, brandon14789 said:

Any tips on how MMI interviews work? Thank you for the help!

Hi Brandon!  You should’ve received an email on how the MMI works. My advice to you when answering the interviewers is to just be yourself

Edited by Hedro