What is the correct was to abbreviate Phyician Assistant?

So I have a few question how when you are abbreviation physician assistant in your personal statement.  So I know the first time you to write out physician assistant, you are supposed to write the entire thing out. It's safe to say everyone will be saying the words physician assistant more than once their PS, so are you supposed to immediately show the abbreviation in parentheses after you write it out the first time like this: "Physician Assistant (PA)"? Or is there a different, more correct way? Also, when you abbreviate it the second time, do you abbreviate it "PA" or should you put periods between the letters, "P.A."? 

Looking for some help on this. Thanks

Edited by SonofSig

You don't want to keep typing the full words Physician Assistant. Character count is valuable and you don't want to waste it on unnecessary words. Just introduce it as Physician Assistant (PA) the first time and then use PA from then on out. Some would argue you don't even need to introduce what the term PA stands for as your audience will all be PA faculty but writing it as I outlined above is what most do. Best of luck.

• Like 1