Chances for at least an interview??

Hey guys!
I'm a second-time applicant for PA school. The first time I did not receive any interviews, and I honestly was not expecting to. However, I feel a lot more confident this time about it. Can anyone give me some insight on what they think about my stats for my application this cycle? or any suggestions for improvement too! Thanks so much!

Here they are:

PCE: ~3,000 hours combined as a physical therapy aide, cardiopulmonary intern, and medical assistant. I am still working as a PT aide and MA so the hours will keep accumulating as well. 

HCE: volunteer at a nursing home, volunteer in the Med/Surg department of a hospital, and an emergency medical scribe

Volunteering: As mentioned above, plus I volunteer currently at an animal shelter as well about 4-6 hours a week. 

GPA: my overall GPA is 3.4 and my science is 3.28- on the low end I know 😕 but I'm working on getting both up and hope my experience will help a bit.

GRE: My GRE score is a 304- 153 quantitative, 151 qualitative, and 5.0 writing. 

Shadowing: I have 30 hours total of PA shadowing and 24 hours shadowing an MD.

Recommendation letters: One from a physical therapist, one from an MD, and one from a kinesiology professor. I am also considering getting one from an occupational therapist but didn't know if it was necessary to have more than three. 

That's about it! I am planning to submit my application right when the cycle opens, as I have already written my essay and everything else which will hopefully help me with rolling admission schools. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I had pretty similar stats to you going in, maybe a higher GRE but otherwise pretty spot on. The only other thing I had going for me were LORs coming directly from PAs I worked with, which could be viewed more favorably than letters from other professions. I think you have a good chance so long as your statement and any supplementary material is good, and you apply to schools without too much of an emphasis on their GPA requirements.

If you go through the cycle this year without any interviews, I'd recommend taking the time to reassess your application - is everything written properly? Are the people writing your LORs writing about you or filling out a form letter with your name on it?

If you are going to get another letter of recommendation, I would try and get one from a person who can speak about your volunteering, rather than an OT. I think that would round out your application better. You sGPA is a little low, but with a great personal statement and good recommendations, you should hopefully get interviews. Do a lot of practice interviews with some of the medical people you know. They should be able to give you excellent insight and tips. Look up all the different interview platform styles and practice for each type: one on ones, MMI, panel.  Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Janie55 said:

If you are going to get another letter of recommendation, I would try and get one from a person who can speak about your volunteering, rather than an OT. I think that would round out your application better. You sGPA is a little low, but with a great personal statement and good recommendations, you should hopefully get interviews. Do a lot of practice interviews with some of the medical people you know. They should be able to give you excellent insight and tips. Look up all the different interview platform styles and practice for each type: one on ones, MMI, panel.  Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!! Yes unfortunately all the PAs I know were only from shadowing, and I feel that doesn’t give them a good idea of what I can do as a provider. Do you think getting one from someone I interned with would be fine? i volunteered at large corporation places so i didn’t get to know the head staff very well, just other volunteers. I hope my statement is good, I’m trying to find someone to read it through and give me tips. thanks again!!

Do any of the PAs know you? If yes, then I would ask one of them if they would feel comfortable writing you a LOR; not just a letter, but a good letter. If they don’t think they could, they’ll just decline your request. As far as the volunteering, was there anyone who was an “authority” figure that you could ask? It doesn’t have to be the department head.