Scribe hours as shadowing?

I would recommend actually shadowing and in more than one area. Besides checking a box on your application, shadowing lets you focus on the life of a PA. If you’re working, I don’t think you’re going to be able to focus on the PA, not the patient.

Don’t shortchange yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Ket131 said:

I did this, but only if I actually scribed for the PA.  Also, should be able to any scribe hours with a PA, not just ED.  

How did you write out in the application? Did you write out something different than how you did in the experience section? 

2 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I would recommend actually shadowing and in more than one area. Besides checking a box on your application, shadowing lets you focus on the life of a PA. If you’re working, I don’t think you’re going to be able to focus on the PA, not the patient.

Don’t shortchange yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have other actual shadowing hours, just seeing if this can bump up my hours. Thanks for the advice! 

2 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

How did you write out in the application? Did you write out something different than how you did in the experience section?

I estimated how much I worked with the PA vs the MD/DO vs the NP and then entered in the numbers.  

As far as what UGoLong says, any scribe worth their position can finish the note before you leave the room, plenty of time to get to know the PA outside the exam room (just as much time as you would shadowing, but more because you will likely form a better relationship as will be working beyond normal showing hours) and the scribes job is to pay attention to what the provider is doing to be able to chart.  So...defiantly going to say no to that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ket131 said:

I estimated how much I worked with the PA vs the MD/DO vs the NP and then entered in the numbers.  

As far as what UGoLong says, any scribe worth their position can finish the note before you leave the room, plenty of time to get to know the PA outside the exam room (just as much time as you would shadowing, but more because you will likely form a better relationship as will be working beyond normal showing hours) and the scribes job is to pay attention to what the provider is doing to be able to chart.  So...defiantly going to say no to that one.

But like did you just put those different numbers in the experience section?

Or put your total hours in the experience section and then in the shadowing section put how many hours you shadowed the PA?

My HCE experience had all my hours varying on my jobs (scribe and CCHT entered separately).  I'll make up a number of a total of 3500 hours of scribe hours for that one HCE experience.  I then took the amount of time I worked as a scribe with the MD's/DO/NP and subtracted from 3500 that to get the estimated the amount of time with the PA and added that to the shadowed experience.  I made that clear in my application that the amount of time shadowing was part of my work, but I did enter them separately.  Was never asked about it.

1 hour ago, Ket131 said:

My HCE experience had all my hours varying on my jobs (scribe and CCHT entered separately).  I'll make up a number of a total of 3500 hours of scribe hours for that one HCE experience.  I then took the amount of time I worked as a scribe with the MD's/DO/NP and subtracted from 3500 that to get the estimated the amount of time with the PA and added that to the shadowed experience.  I made that clear in my application that the amount of time shadowing was part of my work, but I did enter them separately.  Was never asked about it.

Perfect that’s what I’m gonna do, thanks!

On 4/23/2019 at 2:59 PM, Ket131 said:

Hi, are you saying that you labeled some of your scribe hours as shadowing experience instead of healthcare/patient care experience? Sorry just wanted to be clear, thanks in advance for your response!

7 hours ago, crisnar said:

Hi, are you saying that you labeled some of your scribe hours as shadowing experience instead of healthcare/patient care experience? Sorry just wanted to be clear, thanks in advance for your response!

Don't 'double dip'.  I think the poster IS saying that is what they did.  If they scribed with an MD, they counted it as scribing and if they scribed for the PA, they used those hours as shadowing.

You can't count hours as BOTH scribing HCE/PCE AND shadowing.  You're either working or you're shadowing.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Don't 'double dip'.  I think the poster IS saying that is what they did.  If they scribed with an MD, they counted it as scribing and if they scribed for the PA, they used those hours as shadowing.

You can't count hours as BOTH scribing HCE/PCE AND shadowing.  You're either working or you're shadowing.

I agree with MT2PA, and even CASPA explicitly states not to repeat the hours between experience types. I would not risk it. 

I thought I made this clear, but ill say it a different way.  So, if I had 2000 hours of scribe work and 100 was with a PA and 1900 was with a MD or others.  I entered it as 1900 for HCE and 100 in Shadow (Was able to work with PA if MD was sick and didn't come to work etc).  Again, made it clear in the application that it was work and didn't get questions.  On separate note, I also did have a little around 4000 hours as a CCHT, which was what probably got me into school, scribe work is considered low level experience.  Now a year into PA school, was never asked about my scribe job/shadow.  Take that how you want.

• 2 years later...
On 4/28/2019 at 8:26 AM, Ket131 said:

I thought I made this clear, but ill say it a different way.  So, if I had 2000 hours of scribe work and 100 was with a PA and 1900 was with a MD or others.  I entered it as 1900 for HCE and 100 in Shadow (Was able to work with PA if MD was sick and didn't come to work etc).  Again, made it clear in the application that it was work and didn't get questions.  On separate note, I also did have a little around 4000 hours as a CCHT, which was what probably got me into school, scribe work is considered low level experience.  Now a year into PA school, was never asked about my scribe job/shadow.  Take that how you want.

Hi! Can I ask how you added this to your experiences? Did you put it as compensated?

On 5/1/2021 at 12:37 PM, Mindyylh said:

Hi! Can I ask how you added this to your experiences? Did you put it as compensated?

It has been about 4 years since I did my CAPSA application, I don't quite remember if that was an option or not 😕  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  If I was paid I would just put I was paid though, hehe 🙂