Better program vs state you want to live in

I am trying to decide between two programs.

Program A: I feel is a better fit for me. Better program overall- better PANCE rates, higher ranking, more volunteer/primary care clinic opportunites, felt comfortable with faculty and loved the facility, but not in the state I think i'd want to find a job in

Program B: In the state I want to practice and live in, where my family is, decent program with decent PANCE rates, nice faculty, not a huge fan of the facility/technologies/curriculum. 

I think your priorities are a bit skewed (honestly I don't think rankings, technology, facilities matter much). I moved across the country for PA school and will be moving again to a different state after. Knowing what I know now here's where I would put my emphasis: PANCE rates, how long the program has been established, faulty support/student success (this can be VERY difficult to find out, but really try to talk to current or former students one on one and figure out what they liked/disliked about the program). A few things I wish I'd known going in: what qualifies as passing/failing and what systems are in place for remediation (this varies WIDELY by program) and how the curriculum is built (organ system vs traditional). I also wish I had known how many courses are taught by new vs seasoned professors (this has made a huge difference also). I obviously can't speak to job placement after school in a different state, but I spoke with PAs in my former state before I moved, and regularly checked job boards and there are plenty of jobs. Practicing PAs assured me there would be very little trouble getting a job in the area even without doing rotations there. Hope that helps some!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...