I have a Bachelors and MPhil in Environmental Sciences. I got married young and have two kids at 27. I am planning to get back to my studies, as both of them are off to school.  I want to apply for Physician assistant program, but I would like to know my chances.

I have been working as a freelance research assistant for four years. I have worked on medical and scientific papers. I am a good student and have always done well in studies. 

I am planning to start with Prereqs because even though my degree covers some subjects, I don't want to risk my chances by using an old degree. Also, I am not good at math and have started working on my GRE.

The only drawback of my situation is that we only have two universities nearby, offering this program. I know I have very slim chances and have been told repeatedly that I might not get in, but I still want to try.

I'll really appreciate your suggestions.

First of all, going back to school "later" in life is not an issue; I was way, way older than you are (like by 30 years!) when I did it.

You do not need to repeat everything but schools generally have at least some prereqs that they want taken in the last x years. You could do a little research and find out what they are.

Most schools have a patient care hour requirement and your research work probably doesn't qualify. You should look into that too.

I know students who went back to school with children. It takes the help of a spouse or other family member who can back you up while you study, etc. An important discussion to have with your family.

Limiting your applications to two schools may cut down on your odds of getting in, but that too has been done.

Good luck!

Archived