New Grad Bone Marrow Transplant Offer Advice

I cannot find much salary and benefits data for a new grad BMT PA position in the Midwest on the AAPA Salary Report and online. Can anyone in the BMT (even Heme-Onc) field or any seasoned PA provide insight to this offer for a new grad? Benefits are standardized as the position is for a large health system. Additionally, I was given a base salary estimate of $91,500 during the first phone interview, which was subsequently increased to what it is below after the second interview and reference check. Should I negotiate? It was already increased from the first phone interview and I do not want to potentially lose such a great opportunity by asking for too much or an increase for that matter without solid data backing my negotiations. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Specifics below, including my pertinent clinical skills gained through clinicals. Thank you in advance!

Clinical experience/skills: 1 heme-onc rotation with training and experience in bone marrow biopsies and aspirations, intrathecal methotrexate administration, and stem cell transplants; 3 ER rotations with training and experience in central lines and intubations

Responsibilities:

-Inpatient or outpatient BMT patients depending on assignment with occasional OR time to perform harvests

-Monday through Friday 8am-5pm with rotating Saturday call (1:6) coverage with intensivist; rotating holidays as well

Offer Package:

-$95k base salary with performance evaluations & merit increases contingent on system performance but no bonus structure

-5 days CME with $1500

-27 days PTO annually

-Medical, dental, vision, 401k, education assistance, and flexible spending accounts kicking in immediately

**Will double check on malpractice

Miscellaneous:

-Hospital credentialing will take ~3mo

-Will be trained by the team and join the hospital system's new grad APP training program

-2 NPs and 3 MDs on the team who are easy to get along with

-<30 min commute by car

It's not bad honestly.

I work heme/onc outpatient (not midwest) and my initial offer was around that.  I did negotiate to a higher salary with a signing bonus but they weren't willing to budge all that much.

Bennies are good.  If they are willing to train and this is a field you want to be in, I'd take it.  If you think you can appropriately negotiate without losing the offer, I'd say it's worth trying but with everything else being good I wouldn't push all that hard.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MT2PA said:

It's not bad honestly.

I work heme/onc outpatient (not midwest) and my initial offer was around that.  I did negotiate to a higher salary with a signing bonus but they weren't willing to budge all that much.

Bennies are good.  If they are willing to train and this is a field you want to be in, I'd take it.  If you think you can appropriately negotiate without losing the offer, I'd say it's worth trying but with everything else being good I wouldn't push all that hard.

Thanks for the feedback MT2PA. I appreciate it! How long have you been in the specialty? Was the initial offer given to you as a new grad? I'm not too sure how much negotiating leverage I would have despite my exposure and skills in the field, and on top of that, I have no solid data as to a reasonable new grad salary for BMT.

For most intents and purposes, BMT will be under the heme/onc in the AAPA salary report.  Larger places will distinguish between the two, smaller won't, but use that data.

My offer was as a new grad and I didn't have as much procedural skill to bring to the table - however outside of the marrow biopsies you likely wouldn't be doing much of the rest if it's a large enough system.

I did have two rotations in it during school, have an MPH, and all of my pre-PA work was oncology related although not direct patient care (several years worth).  Those are all the things I used to sell myself.