I am currently trying to register for my courses for the Fall and am running into a problem. For my major, the school only requires one semester of general organic chemistry. I have looked at several PA programs to see their requirements and it only stated that you need organic chemistry, but do not specify if it is one semester or a whole year of organic chemistry. Please help! 

Most places only require zero or one semester of Organic Chemistry, but your best bet for a definitive answer is going to be 1) individual program websites, or 2) talking to admission staff.  Don't forget step 1.5) Reread their website very carefully, because they probably answered your question there rather than field phone calls from you and 500+ other applicants 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By alwaysivy
      Hello all,
      I am currently attending a 4 year college to get my undergraduate degree done, but as lots do, I failed Organic Chemistry II. Now I'm looking for an online class to supplement the requirement. It's literally the last class I need to move forward. I found one from a community college near to my school, but the issue with that is the classes have already started. While I was got all the paperwork done, my home college took about a week to send it out, messing up the scheduling portion of attending the community college since they stop scheduling classes after a certain date. I had talked to them before this and they made it seem like that wouldn't be an issue, but now talking to them again, it seems to be a problem. I'm worried as this is the last semester I have before my financial aid runs out. The school takes so long to do anything even with my calling that I don't know if it will be worth the effort to try to get accepted as a visiting student at a different school if I cannot schedule.
      I have been looking at Doane University, but I'm afraid that the same thing will happen. I am not sure how to proceed, so any advice would be helpful. If I withdraw and try to complete the class over summer instead, maybe that would be better, but I'm not sure if my financial aid will carry that long. 
    • By Draconisnewt
      Wondering if anyone else had the unique experience and am in bit of a pickle? 
      So I'm trying to input my grades from my undergrad for CASPA but my issue is that for my senior year of undergrad my school switched from a quarter system to semester system. Now trying to put this in CASPA it only lets me put in one or the other. I've ordered and received my official transcripts for clarity but it doesn't specify or put them under one umbrella. I want to just copy word for word what it says on my transcripts and leave it be but what if I'm wrong and need to convert to semester? 
      I've contacted CASPA directly and told me to convert the units??? What does that mean?? They also told me to call my school. I called my school and they had no idea what I was talking about, I got transferred to an answering machine. 
      I think this is a pretty unique situation. I was considering professional transcript entry to just get it over with but I don't want any mistakes on it. Especially in this kind of situation. 
      Thoughts? Should I just copy everything exactly it says on my transcripts? 
    • By cemetra
      I’m currently attending a quarterly-based credit college and get 3 credits in some of my crucial prerequisite classes. All the pre-pa programs I’ve looked at say something along the lines of “Organic Chemistry - 3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours” but my college only gives 3 quarter hours for a class like this.
      I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. If my college gives 3 hours when I need 4, how do I get that additional hour? So confused!
    • By cemetra
      Is a degree in a natural science like chemistry or biology more beneficial than a degree in something like psychology? Does one prepare you more for PA school than another?
      I was going to go to college for a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Personal Health. Obviously, my end goal is to become a PA. I’m currently in the process of becoming a surgical technician, and would like to be a surgical PA.
      When I look at actual PA programs curriculum (at least near me), they don’t seem to be heavily science-based in terms of like Organic Chemistry, Biology, etc other than the prerequisites to get accepted. Once you get accepted though, the context looks a lot less detailed on those things. Am I missing something?
      From my perspective, a psychology degree would be just as beneficial as biology. Am I wrong?
    • By Maylily7
      Hello! I was wondering what chemistry grades people have received and whether they were able to get into PA school with them. I have currently an A in gen chem 1, a B- in genchem 2 and orgo 1, and a B in orgo 2. Should I retake any classes? Or will I be able to get into a PA school with these grades? (Just a note my overall science gpa is 3.5). 
      Sorry for the annoying question, but any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you! 
      -Maylily7

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More