astroworld

Switching Programs

Is it possible to switch programs from one PA school to another if we recently got off of a waitlist for our first choice? Do we have to report that we went to a PA school already, if so who do we report to? Thanks!

13 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

How far into your current program are you?

Honestly, I don't see why it would be a problem to switch.

4 weeks out from 1st semester, but I am still able to withdrawal 

17 minutes ago, astroworld said:

4 weeks out from 1st semester, but I am still able to withdrawal 

As in you haven't even started yet?  Quit now, lose your deposit, and let someone else have the seat.  That's why deposits are non-refundable.

9 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

As in you haven't even started yet?  Quit now, lose your deposit, and let someone else have the seat.  That's why deposits are non-refundable.

As in we started in January 

41 minutes ago, astroworld said:

As in we started in January 

So you've already paid tuition, gone through orientation, found/have a home, started classes, gotten into a routine, and nearly finished the first 1/3 of didactic year, and you want to give all that up to restart somewhere else? 

• Upvote 1

It would be quite a move, but I don't think anyone would hold it against you.

I'd check with the program you are transferring to because they will probably want all your transcripts. Most programs, via CASPA, ask for all prior transcripts and not providing them may be considered falsification of an application. 

I also wonder if transferring is worth it. Unless you feel like you're not getting a proper education or there is some other significant circumstance, changing programs and the associated costs/debt will affect you down the road. That investment may not be worth it when you will graduate with the same qualifications and PA-C. I know that the potential future income of a PA is used as an excuse for just taking out more loans, but it's still money that you owe to someone and had to be paid back. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, astroworld said:

Is it possible to switch programs from one PA school to another if we recently got off of a waitlist for our first choice? Do we have to report that we went to a PA school already, if so who do we report to? Thanks!

I’m sure it isn’t unheard of but I would double check with your 1st choice - might be be seen as a red flag. However, if you aren’t leaving due to failing out of the program, it probably wouldn’t matter since you’re not transferring credits.

Unless you are completely miserable and/or have a REALLY solid reason to switch (location/family), it probably isn’t a good idea. You’d be 2/3 of the way done with didactic year by the time you’d start the second program. 

20 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

I’m sure it isn’t unheard of but I would double check with your 1st choice - might be be seen as a red flag. However, if you aren’t leaving due to failing out of the program, it probably wouldn’t matter since you’re not transferring credits.

Unless you are completely miserable and/or have a REALLY solid reason to switch (location/family), it probably isn’t a good idea. You’d be 2/3 of the way done with didactic year by the time you’d start the second program. 

It’s honestly miserable and I can’t bear another week here, it’s a new program and clearly it was rushed to the point where they are using students to teach few of our classes. My first choice is accredited and well known and back at home where my social and emotional resources are. The program director was very understanding and supportive. I was just wondering if there would be any problems or if I need to report this to anyone since I will he withdrawing with W’s

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nichole96 said:

So you've already paid tuition, gone through orientation, found/have a home, started classes, gotten into a routine, and nearly finished the first 1/3 of didactic year, and you want to give all that up to restart somewhere else? 

For my first choice, yes. Three other students have already dropped out of the program and went elsewhere.

I think you should tell the program you want to enroll in.  They may have issues with it or need to know about it.  Be an adult about it, explain the situation.  But I'd hate to enroll in the new program and for some reason they find out you almost completed a full semester elsewhere and have that be a problem for them - and find yourself in NO PA program.

Also, depending on when the new program starts, I'd say consider finishing out the 4 weeks of the current program so that you actually have grades on a transcript.

4 hours ago, MT2PA said:

I think you should tell the program you want to enroll in.  They may have issues with it or need to know about it.  Be an adult about it, explain the situation.  But I'd hate to enroll in the new program and for some reason they find out you almost completed a full semester elsewhere and have that be a problem for them - and find yourself in NO PA program.

Also, depending on when the new program starts, I'd say consider finishing out the 4 weeks of the current program so that you actually have grades on a transcript.

Vs getting 25% tuition $$$ back 

16 hours ago, astroworld said:

Vs getting 25% tuition $$$ back 

Yes, honestly, depending on how those Ws affect you in the future.  Say you end up wanting to apply to competitive residency programs.  Is $3k worth the Ws that potentially destroy your GPA and chance for that?  Is $3k that big of a difference in the long run?  What will you do in that time instead?  If you're going to do the rare thing of transferring after starting a different program it would seem to me that logic is out the window and things like spending money to save face are worth consideration.

6 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Yes, honestly, depending on how those Ws affect you in the future.  Say you end up wanting to apply to competitive residency programs.  Is $3k worth the Ws that potentially destroy your GPA and chance for that?  Is $3k that big of a difference in the long run?  What will you do in that time instead?  If you're going to do the rare thing of transferring after starting a different program it would seem to me that logic is out the window and things like spending money to save face are worth consideration.

As far as I’m concerned the W’s won’t hurt or help me. It’s how I perform at the new school, and they are absolutely fine with it. I notified them yesterday about my situation. And I don’t plan on applying to any residency’s after I become a PA-C and assume my acceptance into a residency program would have very little to do about W’s at a new provisional accreditation school that 4 other students left at the same cohort and assume they will look at my gpa from the well known accredited school that I graduated from.

Edited by astroworld

I know that posting specifics of the programs involved may not be possible right now. However, could you share any  "warning signs" you can think of looking back at the application and interview process for the provisional program that you could share? This is in hope that upcoming Pre-PA students might avoid a similar situation. 

Good luck at the new program! 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, astroworld said:

It’s honestly miserable and I can’t bear another week here, it’s a new program and clearly it was rushed to the point where they are using students to teach few of our classes. My first choice is accredited and well known and back at home where my social and emotional resources are. The program director was very understanding and supportive. I was just wondering if there would be any problems or if I need to report this to anyone since I will he withdrawing with W’s

Sounds like like you’re making the right the right choice, then, especially if you don’t feel you’re getting a quality education. Some newer, provisionally accredited schools have good programs (I chose a new program over several programs with continuing accreditation), but sounds like this isn’t the case the case at you’re current program. Plus, you’ve covered your bases by checking with the other school.