How late is too late?

I am applying this cycle and several of the schools I am applying to have rolling admissions. I was wondering how late is too late when submitting to these schools? I plan on applying the first week of August because I am taking 2 courses that I think are important for me to have on my transcripts. Is this very late in regard to programs that have deadlines in October-December?

Guest thePAway

It depends on the specific programs. For example, some programs like Rosalind Franklin and Rush start interviewing as early as July and start filling their class right away. Other programs like UW-Madison does not start interviewing until January/ they do not do rolling admissions so in this case you would be fine. I would look at the threads for the programs you want to go to and see when they started interviewing or look on the program's website to see whether they utilize rolling admissions or not!

If you are taking summer courses you will have to wait until grades post to apply. Then, you have to order official transcripts from your school and have those sent, which can take a week or so. After all of that, you will have to submit and your app will need to go through the verification process. In August, verification will most likely take a week or so. With this in mind, I would imagine your application would be verified towards the end of August, depending on all of those variables. 

Being complete at the end of August is definitely late for rolling schools. If you have stellar stats, that probably isn't a huge issue, although it will decrease your chances. If you have average or borderline stats, it will make it challenging to get an interview.

18 hours ago, lilmems said:

I applied in August and was accepted last year.  Keep your focus primarily on non-rolling admissions schools and you'll have a better shot. Like others have said it is a risk, but that's not to say you wouldn't have a chance!

Yea, I will be applying to about 7 non rolling admissions programs. But there are also a few with rolling admissions and I didn't want to apply late if it was going to be considered a waste of time.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, johncfl said:

I am leaning towards submitting prior to the completion of my 12 week summer course. Can I updated my CASPA application after it is "verified" as I take classes if I send more transcripts? Or is it like a one shot deal?

You can apply to additional programs after your application is verified and update your grades, but CASPA will not recalculate your GPA. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:14 AM, johncfl said:

Yea, I will be applying to about 7 non rolling admissions programs. But there are also a few with rolling admissions and I didn't want to apply late if it was going to be considered a waste of time.

The school I'll be attending is rolling admissions. I was interview-waitlisted at two rolling admissions schools & wonder if my chances would have been better if I'd submitted earlier, but it still worked out in the end. 

Do you all think it would look bad if I took a few classes that were lower level science classes just to boost up my sGPA a little more? I'm already taking genetics, orgo, and bio 2. I was considering taking an earth science class and maybe oceanography as well. I just don't want ADCOM's to look at it negatively. 

22 hours ago, johncfl said:

Do you all think it would look bad if I took a few classes that were lower level science classes just to boost up my sGPA a little more? I'm already taking genetics, orgo, and bio 2. I was considering taking an earth science class and maybe oceanography as well. I just don't want ADCOM's to look at it negatively. 

As long as you have your prerequisites complete, take whatever you want. My senior year I wanted to take marine biology because I thought it was interesting, so I did. Didn't impact me negatively at all. 

I submitted my CASPA September 1st, and had received my first interview Sept. 14th. I felt like it was really late, but my logic was "might as well try" I only applied to schools w/ December and January deadlines...as long as you're smart about where you apply and you think you'd be a really great candidate at those schools you shouldn't have an issue. However, I  would say October/November is definitely too late. 

In my opinion, it's better to wait and have a full and complete application, rather than submit early and have a bad/incomplete one. 

I applied to 10 schools, received 3 acceptances, 7 total interview invites (4 which I didn't go to), and 3 rejections. And this was September 1st. So don't worry 🙂 

Archived