Reapplying and How to Strengthen my App

I am applying for the second time to PA programs. I received one interview last cycle but was waitlisted, along with 3 other waitlists. I had a 3.66 cumulative and 3.5 sGPA. I have roughly 1,000 HCE as a medical assistant with a GI practice, 500 hours as a Resident Assistant in a dementia-focused assisted living facility. I have traveled to Central America on medical mission, volunteered at local hospitals and have roughly 24 hours of direct shadowing (which I know is low). I am looking for feedback on how to improve my chances. Thanks everyone!

I would try and increase your PA shadowing hours just to show schools that you aren't at a "minimum" range but that you are trying to do more. 

Make sure you revise your personal statement as well. Don't try and submit the exact same one you have to update it some.

Your stats seem to be good enough to get an interview, but there's no harm in accruing more pce hours. Maybe look for another pce experience? You can shadow a variety of PAs of different specialties if you want -- I applied with only 28 hours of shadowing and have gotten acceptances. Since you have gotten one interview in the past cycle, try working on your interviewing skills. Make sure your responses are tailored around your experiences (patient care, PA shadowing, medical mission trips, etc) so that it will be unique and original. I prepped for my interviews with "How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview" by Andrew Rodican and it was super helpful. And as others have said, make sure your personal statement and LORs are stellar and gives an awesome picture of who you are as a person, as an applicant, and as a future PA. Good luck!

22 hours ago, Ket131 said:

Well, the cycle is practically here.  What have you added to your application since the last time?

Agreed. It is late to ask what you could be working on. Should have been adding to your application along the way, on the chance the cycle wasn't successful which is very common. 

Hours are low at 1500 and shadowing is 3 days worth, plus I don't know how much you're going to be able to add since the cycle opens in 2 weeks. But those would be the main things for now, GPA looks good. If you can, do things that will separate you from others. Everyone else is going to have mission trips, volunteering, good GPAs and much more PCE hours and shadowing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, aba51 said:

Your stats seem to be good enough to get an interview, but there's no harm in accruing more pce hours. Maybe look for another pce experience? You can shadow a variety of PAs of different specialties if you want -- I applied with only 28 hours of shadowing and have gotten acceptances. Since you have gotten one interview in the past cycle, try working on your interviewing skills. Make sure your responses are tailored around your experiences (patient care, PA shadowing, medical mission trips, etc) so that it will be unique and original. I prepped for my interviews with "How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview" by Andrew Rodican and it was super helpful. And as others have said, make sure your personal statement and LORs are stellar and gives an awesome picture of who you are as a person, as an applicant, and as a future PA. Good luck!

I am going to start shadowing an Operating Room PA and reaching out to other PAs about shadowing. Obviously applications are about to open so different jobs may be a bit unrealistic to add for this cycle. I will definitely look at Andrew Rodican. Thank you for not only the critique, but tips on how to improve!

Archived