Hello all!

My name is Raquel Rubin. I am the new student chair for the Gardner-Webb PA program, as well as a current student of the 2021 cohort. This thread is open for you to ask any questions you may have regarding the application process, interviewing, GWU itself, or anything I can help answer.

Feel free to reach me here or you can email gwu.pa.nsc@gmail.com 

Best of luck!

Raquel Rubin, PA-S

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Raquel,

My name is Ashley Williams and I am a Pre-PA student applying this cycle to many PA programs and Gardner Webb one of my top choices. I wanted to ask if the PA program itself is housed on campus or another part of campus ? Also, is the option to stay on campus open to PA students? What suggestions concerning housing would you give to aspiring applicants ? What do you feel makes Gardner Webb's PA program unique and different from the other 10 PA schools here in North Carolina ? Thank you for your time and help with answering these questions.

With appreciation,

Ashley Williams

On 5/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, AshleyWPA22 said:

Hello Raquel,

My name is Ashley Williams and I am a Pre-PA student applying this cycle to many PA programs and Gardner Webb one of my top choices. I wanted to ask if the PA program itself is housed on campus or another part of campus ? Also, is the option to stay on campus open to PA students? What suggestions concerning housing would you give to aspiring applicants ? What do you feel makes Gardner Webb's PA program unique and different from the other 10 PA schools here in North Carolina ? Thank you for your time and help with answering these questions.

With appreciation,

Ashley Williams

Hi Ashley!

Glad to hear that you consider GWU to be one of your top choices - it is an excellent program. It is housed on campus, although the College of Health Science building is specifically for the nursing program and ours. While grad students are not able to live in on in-campus housing, there are a lot of apartments/houses that are passed down from cohort to cohort in the area. A lot of students choose to live in Boiling Springs right by the school, others in Shelby, and some in Charlotte. I personally chose to live in Gastonia at Loray Mill Lofts and I love it. If you desire to live right by campus, I recommend asking our admissions liaison, Alli Qualls (aqualls1@gardner-webb.edu), about some options. She is very knowledgable and will be happy to assist you in specific housing options. 

I think Gardner-Webb is unique for many reasons. After all, I chose this program despite living 15 hours away and having received an acceptance to another program the morning of my interview here. Gardner-Webb has a beautiful campus with plenty of dining options, a gym, library, intramural sports, and a lot more available to us. The CoHS building is very clean, has state-of-the-art technology, and is open 24/7 for students to study in. We have three Anatomage tables, numerous labs, a clean kitchen and dining area, simulation rooms with interactive dummies, a surgical room, conference rooms (each with a flat-screen TV), and a whole hallway of exam rooms. Also, the statistics of our program are great. For example, the PANCE 1st time pass score of our last graduating class is 100%. What I found most appealing during my interview was the demeanor of the faculty. The professors were very kind, genuine, obviously intelligent, and it was clear to me that they are passionate about what they do. I still find that to be true. They have an open-door policy and are very eager to help you learn and excel. The uplifting culture of this program was what sold me and is still what I am most appreciative of. 

I hope this has helped! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, glorit1022 said:

Hello, 

I wanted to know if it is late to apply to the program. I understand that most admissions are rolling so I dont know if I should try applying or not. 

These are my stats:

Cum GPA: 3.3

Science GPA: 3.7

PCE: 6,000 + hours 

It is definitely not too late! I submitted my application mid-July. One of my good friends here submitted his 5 days before the deadline! 

On 6/11/2019 at 11:48 AM, Heathbar said:

Why is the program on probation  for accreditation?

As far as I know, it was due to an issue regarding paperwork. It has not affected the quality of our learning or the program's resources, etc.

ARC-PA comes to survey the program again sometime this year.

I am not the best person to ask regarding this topic, so if you have any further questions, feel free to email AQualls1@gardner-webb.edu 

Edited by RaquelCR

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Raquel,

Gardner-Webb is my number one choice in PA Programs and I just received  my invitation to interview. I am beyond excited for this opportunity. I was wondering if you could tell me about the interview process and what to expect. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kinstonc said:

How many applicants do they usually interview and how many seats fill the class?

The total number of interviews depend on how quickly spots get filled up because the program has a rolling admissions process. Last year, however, I think interviews ran from August to around October. There are 36 seats per class.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interviewing August 26th! 

I've read the interview includes an essay portion. This will be my first interview that requires a writing prompt. Any advice on what to expect? Allotted time? Topics surrounding current issues or ethical questions? Also, do interviewers tend to ask ethical, behavioral, situational, or more of the traditional types of questions? 

Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated! 

On 7/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, Chachy said:

Interviewing August 26th! 

I've read the interview includes an essay portion. This will be my first interview that requires a writing prompt. Any advice on what to expect? Allotted time? Topics surrounding current issues or ethical questions? Also, do interviewers tend to ask ethical, behavioral, situational, or more of the traditional types of questions? 

Any advice/tips are greatly appreciated! 

Yay! Congratulations!! That is very exciting.

I am an over-preparer by nature (aren't all type A's?!) so I read this book beforehand, familiarized myself with typical interview questions at the back of the book, and felt very prepared during my interviews. It isn't required by ANY means, but I personally thought it was a worthwhile read. 

https://www.amazon.com/Physician-Assistant-School-Interview-Guide/dp/1732076006/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HWXCP21Q9YPP58K4EQ1B

Edited by RaquelCR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...