New Grad: Emergency Medicine Job search

Hi, I am a new grad PA-C looking to work in Emergency Medicine somewhere in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. I know this will be like a needle in haystack search, but I am willing to at least try. Does anyone have any advice on where I should look? What are some good Emed staffing agencies in the Southern California area? (I went to school in the bay area and Vituity/VEP seems to be popular there, but what about Socal?) Anyone have any experience working in Emergency Medicine fresh out of PA school in LA/OC area?

Didn't your program go over this?  There are plenty of staffing agencies, you can apply directly to hospitals, use job search engines....literally anything.  Search, apply, wait.

Most students apply long before graduation so you're kind of behind in the search.  By waiting to apply you are extending your period of unemployment (and thus not using/cementing your skills) which frankly may make it even harder to get into EMED at this point.

Perhaps you should consider a residency.

• Downvote 2

Being confined to that geographic region might make your search even tougher. I worked for Vituity right out of school in a busy level 2 trauma center in the central valley of CA and had a great experience. If you're willing to be flexible on location for your first job out of school, you will gain great experience and make yourself so much more marketable to the employers in the "desirable" areas of living. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, MT2PA said:

Didn't your program go over this?  There are plenty of staffing agencies, you can apply directly to hospitals, use job search engines....literally anything.  Search, apply, wait.

Most students apply long before graduation so you're kind of behind in the search.  By waiting to apply you are extending your period of unemployment (and thus not using/cementing your skills) which frankly may make it even harder to get into EMED at this point.

Perhaps you should consider a residency.

I do not agree with this above answer.

to O.P. 

you did nothing wrong, and this certainly should not make you go consider PA residency (smh).

Keep on applying to any place you'd like to work at. some hospitals have open house type of events. go to those.

you could make a physical visit to their H.R. office or find the number of the department secretary and call to inquire.

you could use recruiters too if you want. they are like real estate agents, you'll have to pay them a fee.

Network with your old classmates and ask if they know about any positions in their hospitals. an employee referral may go a long way.

• Upvote 1

Folks, I never said OP did anything wrong.  I just call it like I see it and waiting until after licensing to even start looking for jobs DOES delay your starting time to work....which means more time you aren't being a PA.  The math doesn't lie.

Plenty of experienced EMEd PAs on this site would suggest a residency to ANYONE looking to get into an ED.  It's not a bad suggestion.  It's simply another option and one that may be more attainable to someone with no PA experience looking to get into a pretty competitive field.

Edited by MT2PA
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Folks, I never said OP did anything wrong.  I just call it like I see it and waiting until after licensing to even start looking for jobs DOES delay your starting time to work....which means more time you aren't being a PA.  The math doesn't lie.

Plenty of experienced EMEd PA's on this site would suggest a residency to ANYONE looking to get into an ED.  It's not a bad suggestion.  It's simply another option and one that may be more attainable to someone with no PA experience looking to get into a pretty competitive field.

Agreed. Everyone should at least consider residency. It’s short sighted to say one shouldn’t 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thank you jtpas and brooks23 for the suggestions. I am broadening my job search and will consider residency (I have to rethink the significantly lower pay in exchange for more training).  PC2ED, I really appreciate your tactful and constructive post- I will definitely take your advice. I feel much more encouraged to move forward after the freakout I had of 'Great, I am behind and now I am screwed'.