4-5 months out from PANCE, nothing will stick in my brain!

I'm worried I will fail the PANCE simply because nothing will stick in my brain!

The first 9-ish months of school, I remembered damn near everything, and could recall things at the drop of a hat. I have always had a great memory, so this was my norm. The past year or so, however, is a completely different case. I forget entire conversations I've had with people, I don't remember ever having HEARD of a med/disease/test, let alone remember having known it (even though that's the case.) It is such a drastic change for me, but I keep being told over and over that this is normal, and to give it time. Well...I'm 4-5 months out from the PANCE and my scores are lower than ever on practice tests/questions, because I just don't remember! I'm not a bad student, or dumb by any means. My brain just feels fried. I've actually gotten straight A's on all my rotations, and have received job offers at every single one. So why can't I get above a 60% on anything??

Did/does anyone else feel like this, or have gone through a similar thing?

I just graduated and this is describes my experience perfectly. IDK if your program does the packrat, but we did it at the end of didactic and end of clinical. I improved significantly so I definitely learned throughout clinical year, but EOR questions are just harder than didactic IMO. I take the PANCE next week

Burned out? Over stressed? This can have an impact on your memory and ability learn. I wouldn't recommend overhauling your studying strategy so close to the boards, but if you are familiar with the method-of-loci technique for memory, it's pretty effective. Here is an overview if you aren't familiar with it.

Also doing tons of practice questions from several different sources will start to give you an idea of easy v hard questions and eventually you'll see every possible condition presented on the PANCE. Board Vitals is pretty good because their q banks range in difficulty but are all pretty much high yield. But like I said, use several different ones to get the most benefit.

Thank you all for your advice/input. 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, PAs12017 said:

I just graduated and this is describes my experience perfectly. IDK if your program does the packrat, but we did it at the end of didactic and end of clinical. I improved significantly so I definitely learned throughout clinical year, but EOR questions are just harder than didactic IMO. I take the PANCE next week

How did it go??

Thank you all for your advice/input!

On 4/13/2019 at 5:55 PM, GB2017 said:

Thank you all for your advice/input. 

How did it go??

Thank you all for your advice/input!

Tbh it wasn’t bad! Found out today I passed! Just keep doing what you’re doing and as long as you’re passing EORs and do decent on packrat you’ll be fine!

Archived