Urgent Care New Grad Offer

Hi all,

I am a new grad and received an offer for an urgent care position (2 provider coverage) in Upstate NY with the details below. I'm assuming they offer low initial salaries because they can get away with it with a decent chunk of new grads eager to work there. I did do a rotation with them and enjoyed my time there and the level of autonomy of the PAs so I know I would likely enjoy the position itself. They also have a designated "training program" for new grads over 2-3 months which is appealing. However, with this offer I'm a bit conflicted and reconsidering my options. My concern is that there isn't much room for negotiation as they interviewed tons of people for these positions and have "set" rates. Either way, I'd really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you guys may have on this!

• Base salary: 85k - reevaluated quarterly and possibly bumped to 95k once seeing patients on own and certified with occupational med requirements (was thinking of requesting concrete date for this to occur in contract ie. 2-3 months)
  • Bonus: quarterly incentive based partially on RVU, Volume, Satisfaction scores, and SP discretion (planning to ask what this averages for PAs there)
  • Sign-On: 10k with 3 year commitment (must pay back prorated if I terminate employment prior)
  • Full time requirement: 2080 hours/year - additional shifts paid at 55/hr
  • Hours: 12 hour shifts; alternating weekends; scheduling one year in advance
  • Work location: "Home site" with expectation of travelling to multiple other locations as needed (not thrilled about this part)
  • Medical/Dental/Vision: HSA seed of 500 for high deductible plans
  • 401k: None - 3% employer contribution to Defined Benefit Cash Balance Pension Plan with 3 year vesting period
  • CME/licensing: None until 3 years of service!!!
  • PTO: 20 days per year (can't buy out, use it or lose it)
  • Malpractice: No mention in offer letter (obviously need to make sure this is included because otherwise its no deal)

Thank you!

Depends on what your bonus is I guess. No CME I can halfway understand, but no licensing? I mean, you want to hire a PA but not pay for state license, DEA, NCCPA, and things that the PA needs to be able to function? At least that's a decent amount of PTO (comparable to 30 days of a 5day/week schedule). Any holidays? How much will medical actually cost you (do you have to add spouse or children)?

If you can negotiate the bad you might be okay

Salary is low.  Additional shift pay is low.

3 year commitment is a hard stop for me - absolutely not.  If you do this you need to see if there are other stipulations in addition to paying back the sign on.  I'd also recommend setting that 10k aside in a high yield savings account so you have it in case you need to pay it back and leave early.  Don't let yourself be trapped in the job because you can't afford to buy yourself out of it.

The full time commitment seems more than the norm.  Most EDs have 12-14 shifts per month - 2080 hrs a year looks like 14.5 12 hr shifts...almost 4 per week.  That's a lot for that measly salary.  You're earning $40/hr.  

401k/CME - they are REALLY trying to get you to stay 3 years.  This is a red flag for me - means they expect you'll leave for greener pastures much sooner than that and you'll lose out on any of these perks that any respectable job offers up front.

20 days of PTO is frankly the only decent thing about this offer.  I'd clarify if that's 20 12 hr days or only 20 8 hr days - makes a difference if you're scheduled 12 hr shifts.

On second thought...maybe this offer has too many problems....

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay but thank you so much for taking a look and providing your perspectives, it is definitely appreciated! The more I think about it, the more I'm having a hard time justifying this offer as I can see on paper that its insulting, but I will be trying to get more details based on your suggestions.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, AbeTheBabe said:

Depends on what your bonus is I guess. No CME I can halfway understand, but no licensing? I mean, you want to hire a PA but not pay for state license, DEA, NCCPA, and things that the PA needs to be able to function? At least that's a decent amount of PTO (comparable to 30 days of a 5day/week schedule). Any holidays? How much will medical actually cost you (do you have to add spouse or children)?

Would be half of major holidays obligation annually, no differential. Medical is a pretty reasonable employee contribution for premium and no dependents to worry about so that helps.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:15 PM, futurepa588 said:

Pathetic offer IMO. Dont take anything less than 100k. I understand that you liked your rotation and the environment is great but you are getting paid $40/hr which is what nurses get paid in some areas. 3 year commitment is also a red flag. Keep looking. 

Thank you for this. You hit the nail right on the head because I personally know a few nurses in this area who do make that. It's tempting to make the decision based on the rotation experience but if this is any indication of how they treat their employees I'm not sure I want in...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived