The Title Change Survey from WPP is Out!

Guest Paula

I think some people on here are misunderstanding the purpose of this survey and the intent of the title change investigation. The AAPA House of Delegates did NOT vote to change the title of the profession -- they simply voted to hire a company to investigate the branding and legal aspects involved in a title change. Per the AAPA Title Change webpage

"The TCI is attempting to address two key questions:

1. Is there a need to evolve the PA brand based on an objective, well-informed, data and analysis-driven view of where it stands today?

2. And if so, how do we redefine how the PA profession is positioned, how its value is conveyed, and how it is titled to meet the requirements of tomorrow’s healthcare landscape?"

I, like many of you, would be perfectly happy if we had just put it to a hard vote and decided to change the title; it could have saved a lot of time and money. Ultimately though, I think hiring a professional branding firm to conduct an investigation into the issue was a wise choice, for a couple of reasons. It will allow the AAPA to unequivocally state that their final decision is based on objective data gathered by an unbiased source, which should go a long way in swaying those PAs who are opposed to title change or are still on the fence about it (we need to be united as a profession, and this should help in that regard). Furthermore, having objective data will add weight to future legislation that will be required to actually make the change in each state, and it should also help to quiet opponents from outside the profession since we'll be able to objectively show that the current title doesn't represent what we do.

WPP has already stated that they intend to engage other non-PA groups in this investigation, and it's entirely possible they are using the same survey for everyone (which would explain the strange wording of many questions). Options for actual titles to change to would come after the initial results are reported in May (if the company makes the recommendation for a change). 

Either way, please continue to spread the word about the survey, and take the time to answer it completely and honestly. While many of us here understand that a title change is vital to the continued success of our profession, this investigation should give us objective data to convince others of that as well. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Guest Paula
1 hour ago, ProSpectre said:

I think some people on here are misunderstanding the purpose of this survey and the intent of the title change investigation. The AAPA House of Delegates did NOT vote to change the title of the profession -- they simply voted to hire a company to investigate the branding and legal aspects involved in a title change. Per the AAPA Title Change webpage

"The TCI is attempting to address two key questions:

1. Is there a need to evolve the PA brand based on an objective, well-informed, data and analysis-driven view of where it stands today?

2. And if so, how do we redefine how the PA profession is positioned, how its value is conveyed, and how it is titled to meet the requirements of tomorrow’s healthcare landscape?"

I, like many of you, would be perfectly happy if we had just put it to a hard vote and decided to change the title; it could have saved a lot of time and money. Ultimately though, I think hiring a professional branding firm to conduct an investigation into the issue was a wise choice, for a couple of reasons. It will allow the AAPA to unequivocally state that their final decision is based on objective data gathered by an unbiased source, which should go a long way in swaying those PAs who are opposed to title change or are still on the fence about it (we need to be united as a profession, and this should help in that regard). Furthermore, having objective data will add weight to future legislation that will be required to actually make the change in each state, and it should also help to quiet opponents from outside the profession since we'll be able to objectively show that the current title doesn't represent what we do.

WPP has already stated that they intend to engage other non-PA groups in this investigation, and it's entirely possible they are using the same survey for everyone (which would explain the strange wording of many questions). Options for actual titles to change to would come after the initial results are reported in May (if the company makes the recommendation for a change). 

Either way, please continue to spread the word about the survey, and take the time to answer it completely and honestly. While many of us here understand that a title change is vital to the continued success of our profession, this investigation should give us objective data to convince others of that as well.  

What if the objective data is to convince those of us who want title change that it's really not needed?  Title change is not a for sure thing....and was stated so in the video they sent out about the survey......

I really don't care about any one else's opinion on title change except for PAs and  PA students.  Who else would care?  I know in WI the big docs stakeholders don't care if re re-title our profession.   

• Administrator

Wow, what a mess.

Mine was in spam, of course.

But worse than that, they aren't able to properly handle me CURRENTLY working in two different specialties. Right now, It's stuck on "why did you leave occupational medicine?" when, I, um, haven't.  There was no mechanism at all for answering for two separate practices.

Also, when they asked about alternative professions one had considered... they listed EMT, but not Paramedic.  I kinda think that's an important distinction to make.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Paula said:

I know in WI the big docs stakeholders don't care if re re-title our profession

They will if we decide to call ourselves doctors of something. Its all about whose ox is getting gored.

Part of the point of this company's work is to determine how others perceive us and our title. I am hopeful that other groups are being given the same survey because giving it to us seemed fairly pointless unless to are comparing profiles of responses from different groups. That would give some insight into our title and how it is perceived.

I did mine at work over the course of a shift a chunk at a time. Not impressed. not even one single "which of the following names best describes the work currently done by PAs? ".

I wrote in no uncertain terms that our current title is misleading, inappropriate, misunderstood, and humiliating.

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2019 at 9:01 PM, Paula said:

What if the objective data is to convince those of us who want title change that it's really not needed?  Title change is not a for sure thing....and was stated so in the video they sent out about the survey......

I really don't care about any one else's opinion on title change except for PAs and  PA students.  Who else would care?  I know in WI the big docs stakeholders don't care if re re-title our profession.   

I definitely hear your concerns, and I share many of them too. I was just playing devil's advocate with my post based on the stated intent of the investigation. Most of the current leadership of the AAPA seem to be on board with a title change, so I really don't think there is any malicious intent with this investigation.

I would be pretty pissed (as would a large number of PAs) if WPP's recommendation was to simply stick with the current title -- but I really don't think that will happen. I do think the survey was poorly put together (and the distribution was even worse), but I'm holding out hope that WPP knows what they're doing and is simply trying to be thorough with the data gathering stage of their investigation before getting into more specifics about the title change. Only time will tell, but luckily we'll know something by the end of next month. 

Edited by ProSpectre

15 hours ago, brandonhughey said:

1 Guy on reddit was anti-name change and stated that “it’s taken about 55 years to be understood in the medical community. This will set us back”

1) The fact that it took 55 years for people to understand our title/role = red flag. Medical Practitioner will take 5 seconds to understand.

2) And no, they still don’t understand our profession after 55 years. 

Am I living in an alternating Universe? because the guy on Reddit and I have a totally different experience. 

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately there are multiple people on reddit defending the name... also the comments that defend the name get a decent amount of “likes/thumbs up”. 
Why are people trying so hard to defend a name that doesn’t represent our profession/role? What a waste of effort. 
It is weird. I posted on LinkedIn about the spam issue and for people to check their spam folders and I got only one like but almost 100 views... And the one like was from...my NP friend lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, brandonhughey said:

Unfortunately there are multiple people on reddit defending the name... also the comments that defend the name get a decent amount of “likes/thumbs up”. 

Why are people trying so hard to defend a name that doesn’t represent our profession/role? What a waste of effort. 

They either Russian bots or just trolls LOL!!

• Upvote 1

I did it... I even tried to give good answers to the type in questions.  Some parts were weird like ranking professions.  As much as I wanted to rank PA #1 for everything, I give credit being an ER guy to the family doctors.  Weird survey and took a bit to do.  I wonder how many responses they will get back, and how many they sent out?  

On 4/3/2019 at 7:39 PM, MedicinePower said:

Ditto spam. I got ten minutes into it before I stopped. I simply haven't 30-40 minutes to answer questions completely irrelevant to the title change.

Unfortunately the only questions relevant to name change are at the end of the survey...as I've said elsewhere maybe I'm just a skeptic or a Debbie Downer...but I just can't ignore that the order feels intentional.

Just completed mine and it brought some questions to mind.  Are we really able to still say that we "see less patients and are able to spend more time with patients" then other providers?  This concept keeps getting sold but I do not think it is the norm anymore.

I am scheduled in 15 min slots for evaluations and I am typically double booked. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2