Getting Medical Clearance Before Joining the Military as a PA

So I had applied for the HSCP through the Navy before PA school and was denied because I made the mistake of mentioning I had degenerative disc disease even though this has never hindered me from any physical activity, I have never had radicular pain and even did Crossfit for 6 months before PA school started. I am still interested in joining the military and was told I should try again but this time should get better and more specific documentation from the doctor who did the MRI of my back that includes things such as you can run more than 2 miles, you can march, you can carry heavy weight, you can do pushups and pull ups etc. 

Does anyone know of a specific document or have a comprehensive list which covers everything that I should have the Doctor include in his note?

And/or has anyone gone through something similar and still been accepted into the military?

Thanks I appreciate your help.

Scott 

• 3 weeks later...

You must meet AR 40-501 chapter 2 requirements for entry to Army service. Specifically the following section for Spine.

2–29. Spine and sacroiliac joints a. Current or history of ankylosing spondylitis or other inflammatory spondylopathies (720) does not meet the standard. (See para 2–11a.) b. Current or history of any condition, including, but not limited to the spine or sacroiliac joints, with or without objective signs that— (1) Prevent the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life (724) or that is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion does not meet the standard. (2) Require external support does not meet the standard. (3) Require limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment does not meet the standard. c. Current deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function does not meet the standard if: (1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life. (2) It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment. (3) It is symptomatic. (4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method. d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies does not meet the standard. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) does not meet the standard. e. Current or history of fractures or dislocation of the vertebrae (805) does not meet the standard. A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic. f. History of juvenile epiphysitis (732.6) with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis does not meet the standard. g. Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct this condition does not meet the standard. h. Current or history of spina bifida (741) when symptomatic, if there is more than one vertebra level involved or with dimpling of the overlying skin does not meet the standard. History of surgical repair of spina bifida does not meet the standard. i. Current or history of spondylolysis (congenital (756.11) or acquired (738.4)) and spondylolisthesis (congenital (756.12) or acquired (738.4)) do not meet the standard.

Without seeing your MRI or notes the above does not specifically mention DDD. Waivers are not often granted for Officer service. The spine is tough, I can tell you whatever symptoms you have related to your spine will not improve serving in the military. 

Good luck. 

Archived