Do I have a chance?

Hey so I have a B.S. in Biology. I graduated in 2015 with a GPA of 3.22 and science GPA around a 3.0. I thought I wanted to go a different route with my life and decided to take a couple easier classes to finish my degree. Since then, I got a job working in an eye clinic and have come to really love medicine and have been really wanting to go back to school, particularly something that will challenge me and interest me, tbh undergrad bored me. I have been working as an Opthalmic technician for two and a half years ( I do a range of duties, basic eye tests, getting patients ready for surgery, cross trained and will help in the OR). I want to be a PA and I know I can do the course work, I know I am smart enough and can work hared enough. I need to take one more class to meet the basic requirements of most PA programs (A&P II) I am not particularly worried about this, I much enjoyed A&P I and I know I can get an A. Do you think I have  chance of getting into a PA program? I really would love to hear stories of people in a similar situation that has gone through this like me.  Should I give this dream a shot? I don't know why but I feel like I need to hear that there are other people like me that have gotten into the program somewhere.

6 hours ago, caltmen said:

Hey so I have a B.S. in Biology. I graduated in 2015 with a GPA of 3.22 and science GPA around a 3.0. I thought I wanted to go a different route with my life and decided to take a couple easier classes to finish my degree. Since then, I got a job working in an eye clinic and have come to really love medicine and have been really wanting to go back to school, particularly something that will challenge me and interest me, tbh undergrad bored me. I have been working as an Opthalmic technician for two and a half years ( I do a range of duties, basic eye tests, getting patients ready for surgery, cross trained and will help in the OR). I want to be a PA and I know I can do the course work, I know I am smart enough and can work hared enough. I need to take one more class to meet the basic requirements of most PA programs (A&P II) I am not particularly worried about this, I much enjoyed A&P I and I know I can get an A. Do you think I have  chance of getting into a PA program? I really would love to hear stories of people in a similar situation that has gone through this like me.  Should I give this dream a shot? I don't know why but I feel like I need to hear that there are other people like me that have gotten into the program somewhere.

You will find others like yourself that have gotten into a PA program.  Take a look around at the programs to find what the entrance requirement are such as courses and if you need to take the GRE.  Most programs will also have stats on the previous class profile such as PCE, GRE scores, GPA. etc...   If this is your dream do not give up and know that not everyone gets into a program the first time.  I myself did not get in till my 2nd and read how some it took as high as 4th and more.  Good luck 🙂

I'd email the programs that you're interested in about their consideration of your hours as an ophthalmic technician as direct patient experience. Otherwise it might be considered as healthcare experience. Some programs will count HCE towards PCE but others may not, so you probably want to look into positions that have that direct patient exposure (like EMT, medical assistant, etc). Just some unsolicited advice 🙂

13 hours ago, aba51 said:

I'd email the programs that you're interested in about their consideration of your hours as an ophthalmic technician as direct patient experience. Otherwise it might be considered as healthcare experience. Some programs will count HCE towards PCE but others may not, so you probably want to look into positions that have that direct patient exposure (like EMT, medical assistant, etc). Just some unsolicited advice 🙂

I'm not trying to argue but my job is very direct with the patients. I prep patient's for surgeries, assist in minor/major procedures, run the Lasik laser, I will scribe for doctors while they are with patients, I will refract patients and the doctors use what I get for their glasses RX. Basically I am a medical assistant but only for eyes. 

7 hours ago, caltmen said:

I'm not trying to argue but my job is very direct with the patients. I prep patient's for surgeries, assist in minor/major procedures, run the Lasik laser, I will scribe for doctors while they are with patients, I will refract patients and the doctors use what I get for their glasses RX. Basically I am a medical assistant but only for eyes. 

Oh okay. I wasn't aware of what ophthalmic technicians do but I do now haha. All the best!

Archived