I work in Ortho with 4 years experience. Last year I brought in about $500k for the practice. I've had COL increases since I was hired, but this year I hit them big for a raise since I am bringing in a ton more than I was 4 years ago. They countered with a COL increases and "you'll get a bigger bonus since you're busier". Well, that is true but I'm not asking for more to do less I'm asking for more because I'm doing more. Anyways, I wanted salary + bonus to be somewhere in the $120k range. Is that too much to ask? 

-last year salary + bonus was <$105. Their proposal puts me at roughly $110 for next year, assuming little growth in productivity.

-3 weeks vacation

-Health insurance for my family is about 12k/year

-Call 1:6 with small compensation

You're not being greedy, they're being greedy. You bring them $500k a year and they only pay you $105k? They should pay you at least $150k. Don't accept a low salary when you bring them half a million a year. Find another job if they don't pay you what you deserve. They'll have to find and train someone new 

Edited by Potatolife
  • Upvote 1

Definitely look for another job. As a profession, we are not compensated appropriately and seem to suffer from wage stagnation. This is only going to get worse with all the new schools they are allowing to open and all the new grads they are pumping out.

Sadly, finding a new job is seems to be the only way to increase our salary.  I have learned you need to structure your contract to be forward looking, to avoid job hopping or job dissatisfaction, which isn’t good for either of you.  With most employers, you have little power to negotiate once you’re in the position and, in general, most companies don’t consider turnover costs. 

Thanks everybody.

This is in suburban new England. Benefits are middle if the road. Quality of life is good.

It's a tough call as a new job would require a move. I asked to be in the 130k range with combo of salary and bonus (expected them to counter around 115 or 120). I had another opportunity when I told them that but it subsequently fell through so my negotiating confidence is pretty low.  I'm thinking of countering with 105k salary and looking for another opportunity and calling them back to the table if I have another offer to see what they think I'm worth.

Any further advice?

Nope don't do it! As a woman, I have sat down in a round table with a group of male ortho surgeons who tried to low ball me and they definitely got the right gal. They asked me how much I made at my last position....I simply said, I have a # in mind and I would like to stick with that please (with a big smile on my face and confidence that couldn't be knocked down). As P.A.'s we work too hard to be undervalued! You got to know your worth and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.....By the way when I was throwing that # at them during the interview, I had no job and was jobless for 2 months...they did not like my offer and I was totally okay with that because I was not going to accept theirs. A job is like a relationship or a marriage; you only need the right one to say yes! Anyone who tries to undervalue you doesn't deserve you! Do not buy into their story of misery bc it seems to me.....that's all they have to offer!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/16/2019 at 7:55 PM, Arthropathy said:

Going on some interviews, will update some details when a solid offer comes in.

General question: do you always counter for better salary even when the initial offer is pretty decent? 

I would say typically yes, but it depends on what the going rate is, location, specialty, experience, and the entire comp package including bennies. You don't want to come across greedy and "all about money" to a new employer, but you also need to protect yourself and not sell yourself short by reasoning the pay as "decent" when it could be good or great. Some specialties bring in the dough, like ortho, so you can potentially ask for more initially, while others are hard to get into so you may end up conceding initially just to get the job and experience and then renegotiate once you have the experience. 

On 5/16/2019 at 9:55 PM, Arthropathy said:

Going on some interviews, will update some details when a solid offer comes in.

General question: do you always counter for better salary even when the initial offer is pretty decent? 

Of course! I did this at a FQHC and got $5K more a year and $5K more on my bonus. The initial offer was $15K more per year than my previous salary so I was shooting for the stars! They came back and offered me a little more money cause they really wanted me. Win Win for both parties.