PANRE review courses and advice

I just started a new job and moved to a completely new part of the country with my husband and 18 month old daughter. We bought a house that needs work and my job takes a lot of studying/effort as it's my first surgical job, so I'm just a little busy at the moment. In addition to all of this, I'm up for recertification and it's my last year (didn't do it last year because I had a young baby, was busy applying/interviewing for jobs, and packing). I work in a pretty specific sub-specialty, pediatric cardiac surgery, so I am thinking a review course is the way to go. I don't see myself being able to buckle down and do an online course or self-study. For reference, I have a pretty good memory (so I'm expecting stuff to come back) and don't have crazy nerves for test-taking, and I passed my PANCE first try after moving 2 weeks after I graduated. I'm considering the following:

1. CME4life: offering a course soon (late April) where I live so I won't need a hotel

2. The Original Chicago Course: a little later in the year (end of June) and I'd have to travel a few hours to get there and stay in a hotel 

3. Emory PANCE/PANRE Review Conference: much later (September), but again wouldn't have to travel so no hotel fees

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has attended these conferences and if you did anything else to study. Would also love to hear how soon you signed up to take the test after you were finished with the course.

I’ll speak only for myself and say just take it. You didn’t say if this is your first PANRE or not. If it is, just take it. The only time out of five that I took a review course (Rosh ‘14) I didn’t think it made a hill of beans worth of difference based on my panel of questions. If you have to review, just go to NCCPA’s site and I believe you can see the percentage breakdown of specialty question types and thus just play the odds. Every time I’ve taken it my scores have gone up, and that includes my next to last one where I was fed up, didn’t study a lick, made sure to work a late ED shift the night before, and still sailed through the thing. The only other recommendation is to not overthink the questions.

Archived