Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zpsmith

Selecting a PA for recommendation

Recommended Posts

I am torn and seeking help about one of my recommendations. I have a PA that I shadowed and have known for 2 years. He offered to write me a recommendation. But, I worked side by side with another person for over 3 years prior to him starting PA school. He will graduate in August with his PA degree. He also offered to write me a recommendation. I believe he would write a better one for me but wonder how it would look since he isn’t a PA yet. Needing some advice on who to select.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, zpsmith said:

I am torn and seeking help about one of my recommendations. I have a PA that I shadowed and have known for 2 years. He offered to write me a recommendation. But, I worked side by side with another person for over 3 years prior to him starting PA school. He will graduate in August with his PA degree. He also offered to write me a recommendation. I believe he would write a better one for me but wonder how it would look since he isn’t a PA yet. Needing some advice on who to select.

The only way that I would consider using the recommendation from your former coworker, who is currently in PA school, is if you already have another recommendation from an MD, DO, PA, or possibly NP. If the letter you speak of is your only provider recommendation, I'd prefer the letter from the PA that you shadowed. However, if it were me, I'd just get letters from the both of them to upload to CASPA. Schools require three letters, but you can upload five. From what I've heard, schools will pick and choose which letters they care to read. I submitted five recommendation letters, including one from a former coworker and one from a PA that I shadowed, and it worked out well for me. I applied to 14 schools and was invited to interview at 13. I know there's a lot more to consider, but you really should not stress over this issue. I'd honestly just get letters from both of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCEmit said:

The only way that I would consider using the recommendation from your former coworker, who is currently in PA school, is if you already have another recommendation from an MD, DO, PA, or possibly NP. If the letter you speak of is your only provider recommendation, I'd prefer the letter from the PA that you shadowed. However, if it were me, I'd just get letters from the both of them to upload to CASPA. Schools require three letters, but you can upload five. From what I've heard, schools will pick and choose which letters they care to read. I submitted five recommendation letters, including one from a former coworker and one from a PA that I shadowed, and it worked out well for me. I applied to 14 schools and was invited to interview at 13. I know there's a lot more to consider, but you really should not stress over this issue. I'd honestly just get letters from both of them. 

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add, I have one from an MD, and my nursing manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zpsmith said:

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add, I have one from an MD, and my nursing manager. 

Nice! Mine were my charge nurse in the ED, my PA mentor, the head of the cell biology department at my undergrad university, my biostatistics professor, and a coworker of mine from my time in a pedi ED. 

I used my coworker in order for PA schools to get an idea of my work ethic on the job and my ability to work as a team.....at least that’s what I hope they took from it. Lol. But it all worked out. Starting PA school in May!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More