Selecting a PA for recommendation

I am torn and seeking help about one of my recommendations. I have a PA that I shadowed and have known for 2 years. He offered to write me a recommendation. But, I worked side by side with another person for over 3 years prior to him starting PA school. He will graduate in August with his PA degree. He also offered to write me a recommendation. I believe he would write a better one for me but wonder how it would look since he isn’t a PA yet. Needing some advice on who to select.

54 minutes ago, zpsmith said:

I am torn and seeking help about one of my recommendations. I have a PA that I shadowed and have known for 2 years. He offered to write me a recommendation. But, I worked side by side with another person for over 3 years prior to him starting PA school. He will graduate in August with his PA degree. He also offered to write me a recommendation. I believe he would write a better one for me but wonder how it would look since he isn’t a PA yet. Needing some advice on who to select.

The only way that I would consider using the recommendation from your former coworker, who is currently in PA school, is if you already have another recommendation from an MD, DO, PA, or possibly NP. If the letter you speak of is your only provider recommendation, I'd prefer the letter from the PA that you shadowed. However, if it were me, I'd just get letters from the both of them to upload to CASPA. Schools require three letters, but you can upload five. From what I've heard, schools will pick and choose which letters they care to read. I submitted five recommendation letters, including one from a former coworker and one from a PA that I shadowed, and it worked out well for me. I applied to 14 schools and was invited to interview at 13. I know there's a lot more to consider, but you really should not stress over this issue. I'd honestly just get letters from both of them. 

1 hour ago, MCEmit said:

The only way that I would consider using the recommendation from your former coworker, who is currently in PA school, is if you already have another recommendation from an MD, DO, PA, or possibly NP. If the letter you speak of is your only provider recommendation, I'd prefer the letter from the PA that you shadowed. However, if it were me, I'd just get letters from the both of them to upload to CASPA. Schools require three letters, but you can upload five. From what I've heard, schools will pick and choose which letters they care to read. I submitted five recommendation letters, including one from a former coworker and one from a PA that I shadowed, and it worked out well for me. I applied to 14 schools and was invited to interview at 13. I know there's a lot more to consider, but you really should not stress over this issue. I'd honestly just get letters from both of them. 

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add, I have one from an MD, and my nursing manager. 

5 hours ago, zpsmith said:

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to add, I have one from an MD, and my nursing manager. 

Nice! Mine were my charge nurse in the ED, my PA mentor, the head of the cell biology department at my undergrad university, my biostatistics professor, and a coworker of mine from my time in a pedi ED. 

I used my coworker in order for PA schools to get an idea of my work ethic on the job and my ability to work as a team.....at least that’s what I hope they took from it. Lol. But it all worked out. Starting PA school in May!

Archived