Hi everyone,

I really really want to be a physician assistant, but I don't have the most outstanding test scores or grades. I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on if I have any chance at all of getting into a PA program. My overall GPA was a 3.30 and my science GPA was a 3.27. I took the GRE and got a 155 on verbal, but only a 145 on the quantitative section, and a 4.0 on the writing section. I will have 1,720 hours of healthcare experience working as a CNA by the time I am planning to apply to physician assistant programs. I also have 24 hours of shadowing PAs as experience. Please let me know if you think I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program. Also, if any of you have any recommendations on PA programs that would be best for me to apply to based on my stats I would greatly appreciate that!

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Edited by KellyBeth
added tags

In comparison to the majority of students being accepted to PA school, your GPA's are on the lower side. But there are people on here who get accepted with those stats. However, they usually have other parts of their application that help compensate for the lower GPA (i.e. great GRE scores, high level PCE, outstanding LOR's). So you can either take more classes to increase your GPA and retake the GRE (or apply to schools that don't require it), or you can continue  working to increase your HCE/PCE hours. In my own personal opinion it sounds like you could be in a great position to apply starting in 2020, but this year could be a stretch. But you can always apply and see what happens if you are willing to spend the $$$$.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PAgirl199
      Hey everyone! 

I was recently accepted into a program for fall of 2020. BIOCHEM was not a prerequisite, but I have been currently retaking the class in case I had to re apply. My acceptance is conditional based on having an up to date physical and that is It (I already submitted the physical). My question is, is It worth finishing up this class strong? Or should I stop putting effort into the class and relax until my program starts? I’m not sure what to do & don’t want to waste time studying if I do not have to! Thanks !!
    • By ascience19
      I have been accepted to two schools so far. I am getting very close to the deadline to decide which program I will attend and have put deposits down at both schools. I am having trouble making a final decision because I like both schools. Can anyone share advice as to what factors and criteria are most important in making my decision. 
      School A:   in-state, just below average PANCE, 1 clinical elective, longer didactic days, 4 semesters of didactic, 60 person class, no research paper. Friendly staff and very welcoming. I had a really good feeling being there and enjoyed how nice everyone was. School provides housing if rotations are very far. 
      School B:   out-of-state, above average PANCE with prep course, 2 clinical electives, 2 primary care rotations, shorter didactic days (more time to sleep/study), 3 semesters of didactic, 40 person class, research paper. I met less staff but I liked those I met. Had a good experience at interview but not amazing (MMI interviews). School does not provide housing for rotations, but seemed that most are local. 
      If anyone has any advice on choosing a program I would greatly appreciate it! 
    • By magboo
      Hello to all!

I am so indecisive & narrowed my options to Pace University and Northeastern University. The thing is, I have been accepted to Northeastern PA/MPH portion which is more expensive than the typical PA track. Also, I currently live in NYC so Pace will be financially convenient for me. However, I have heard good things about Northeastern's reputation & always wanted to move out of state. 
      If anyone has good advice, please let me know! THANK YOU
    • By mly3025
      Was just accepted off the waitlist from one of my top choice programs and boy does it feel good!! I'm not sure how much ranking plays but this was certainly a reach school for me. 
      Stats for this cycle: 
      27 y/o M 
      cGPA: 3.11
      sGPA: 3.22
      GRE: 309. 4.5 writing. 
      PCE: 4010 hours as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist 
      Shadowing: 18 hours with an OBGYN PA // 30 hours with a senior cardiology PA // 75 hours with a GI PA
      Volunteer: 100 hours at a senior center // 50 hours as an Anatomy & Physiology tutor. Thousands of hours in extracurriculars as a choreographer and public relations officer 
      LOR: MD director of our Nuclear stress lab, Senior Cardiology PA, Anatomy and Physiology professor 
      Degree: BS in Nuclear Medicine Technology 
      Interviews: 2 (still waiting to hear back from other programs) 
      Waitlisted: 1 
      Acceptances: 1
      Graduated undergrad in 2015 with a 2.9 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. 
      Retook \~55 credits and recieved a 3.8 post-bac sGPA with classes in biochemistry, microbiology, A/P, organic chemistry, gen bio, gen chem, psychology, genetics, and calculus to name a few
      It IS possible to get into PA school with a low gpa! I had zero interviews on my first cycle. I Improved my second-time application by making my PS a KILLER, improving PCE hours, and making myself look like a well-rounded applicant to make up for my low GPA. I was asked about my GPA right off the bat during both my interviews and how I planned on succeeding in a rigorous didactic program so be prepared to answer these types of questions! I also felt that what gave me an advantage over others was the fact that I am in a niche field and that as someone whos trained in nuclear medicine I am able to provide insight on these types of studies and help my peers understand/read nuclear studies! Don't be afraid to flex on certain characteristics on your profile that makes you unique! 
      Good luck everyone!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More