Disability Insurance

I'm hoping someone can help guide me in this decision. I've reviewed several quotes and done lots of research on my own, but I'm having trouble deciding between two very similar policies, priced about the same, from two different agents. Would anyone who is knowledgable about this be willing to take a look at the two policies and help me decide which is best? Would rather not post the quotes publicly so PM me if you're able to help. Thank you! 

You want a policy that pays out after the elimination ("wait") period if you're unable to perform the duties for which you are trained.  In other words, you could still be a Walmart greeter or Target check out clerk but wouldn't be able to practice medicine.  These are hard to find nowadays compared to when I got mine 25 or so years ago.  I gave it up last year when I realized that I didn't need it any longer since I now have access to retirement funds w/o penalty.

Yes own policy 

needs to be paid with after tax dollars then if you use it income is tax free

yes to own policy 

at some point I will drop mine but now it is about 450 month and good for about 80k per year and is my profession and speciality, meaning if I can not work as a pcp pa I can collect.  No saying I could go work in a different field and therefor denying me.  Expensive but worth it.  I mtb and race a bit and have young kids and sig debt but also approaching 50.  

As with life insurance, if you do your financial planning right you should need disability insurance less and less as you get older.

Early in life with spouse/kids/debt then you need life and disability insurance.  But as you get older, build more wealth, and have no debt, then the need for life or disability insurance should go away, thus freeing even more money a month to build wealth with.

I never thought, in my wildest imagination, thought I would need to be on LT disability, however, presto, here I am. It happened suddenly and without warning. Mine was an employer program. It requires a 90 day wait period ad pays me at 60% of my previous (prior to disability) wages. It does allow me to work, however, I must subtract every dollar earned through my job (any job) from what they pay me.

I have had my own LT care policy, in addition to LT disability, as well as one for my wife, since we were in our early thirties.  I didn’t want a catastrophic event to impair the other’s life, or the life of our daughter.  Now it remains in place for the more likely end of life care costs and hopefully will lessen any decision making/stress for our adult daughter.

6 hours ago, jmj11 said:

It requires a 90 day wait period ad pays me at 60% of my previous (prior to disability) wages. It does allow me to work, however, I must subtract every dollar earned through my job (any job) from what they pay me.

First, and most importantly, I hope you get better quickly, and I'm thankful you have disability insurance!

Question - is that 60% of wages that you get from employer provided disability insurance taxable?

Archived