OTP in California. Help!

8 hours ago, ArmyVetDude said:

nope. Not one step forward to compromise a few. All or nothing

We get what we want or bust. We need to take a harder stance, instead of modified half-hearted OTP. Damn. even dumba** 

***moderator edit to remove politically polarizing statements***

1st, this is terrible legislative strategy. 2nd, please refrain from unnecessarily referring to political figures to stir up controversy. This thread is not about the current administration.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:35 AM, ArmyVetDude said:

nope. Not one step forward to compromise a few. All or nothing

We get what we want or bust. We need to take a harder stance, instead of modified half-hearted OTP. Damn. even dumba** 

***moderator edit to remove politically polarizing statements***

Sounds like a good way to get not a damn thing done...

So when I read that letter I hear some version of the physicians yelling "people are gonna die!" which is a time honored tradition to the point of becoming a trope. It is going to take more education of legislators to counter misinformation.

There are always key punch points. Access to care. Decreased costs. Patient safety.

Nothing about OTP or even independence puts any of these at risk and using the "bad actor" argument needs to be refuted. There are plenty of lousy physicians doing bad things but nobody is suggesting the entire profession be managed differently than it is now.

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

So when I read that letter I hear some version of the physicians yelling "people are gonna die!" which is a time honored tradition to the point of becoming a trope. It is going to take more education of legislators to counter misinformation.

There are always key punch points. Access to care. Decreased costs. Patient safety.

Nothing about OTP or even independence puts any of these at risk and using the "bad actor" argument needs to be refuted. There are plenty of lousy physicians doing bad things but nobody is suggesting the entire profession be managed differently than it is now.

I don't think the everyday on the ground working physician care about OTP. I am very certain they do not want to be liable for whatever mistakes we made. The physician I talked to, they agree with OTP for PAs. The problem is organized medicine political group. They pretty much opposed to any progressive policy for PAs, which I am not surprised at all. But that tells me, we are doing the right thing. We need to continue to push for OTP and elect the right people to the office. 

Don't know how much it'll help, but I used the email that she gave in that letter to send her a comparison between SB 697 and SB 323. SB 323 was a full on push for NP independence, which SB 697 is not. I also specifically mentioned the fact that CAPA has letters of support from physicians for SB 697. I'm hoping that she can see the difference between a push for independence and a push for collaboration, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, spflynn4 said:

Don't know how much it'll help, but I used the email that she gave in that letter to send her a comparison between SB 697 and SB 323. SB 323 was a full on push for NP independence, which SB 697 is not. I also specifically mentioned the fact that CAPA has letters of support from physicians for SB 697. I'm hoping that she can see the difference between a push for independence and a push for collaboration, but we'll see.

Good work! I am planning to write back with a similar rebuttal.

3 hours ago, PACali said:

This senator does have some controversial history regarding her college credential. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ling_Ling_Chang

I wonder how much she knows about healthcare. 

Interesting and suspicious for sure! Unfortunately it seems most politicians/policy makers on all levels know very little about healthcare and medicine in general, regardless of their credentials. It’s disconcerting that these are the people who are ultimately in charge of making decisions that will alter the course for our entire profession. 

16 hours ago, PA-C said:

I wrote and received this in the mail:651B3DD4-DD17-4391-8E28-5445CB24F1F0.thumb.jpeg.9e1e6ba041fac38b700b134ef57d5fe5.jpeg

Awesome. I just sent her an email too with my perspective a a California native who went out of state for training. I said I want to be able to come back home and serve California, and SB 697 will help make it easier for me to get a job. As it stands, the state I am in is much less restrictive and most jobs are open to PAs and NPs. Not so in Los Angeles area. 

Archived