How much are you studying?

Guest OnBelay

How many hours a week did you study during your didactic year?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours a week did you study during your didactic year?

• 1-6 hours per week
    • 7-12 hours per week
    • 13-18 hours per week
    • 19-24 hours per week
    • 25-30 hours per week
    • 31+ hours per week

asking about how long people study, is like asking people how much syrup they like on their pancakes, it's all about personal need and desire. My program has people that study all the time, and read every suggested yet not assigned reading, they bust their @ss for the 100's, and then their are the folk that study all the time, just to squeek by with high 70's, and then there are the folks that watch TV all day, leaf through the notes for an hour before an exam and manage to get strong Mid 80's on most stuff (be it luck, or skill, I have no idea)

I chalk a lot of it up to what you picked up in undergrad (or prereq's classes) as to your study habits. If you have been diligent all along, it will carry through, if you were like some of us and made it through undergrad w/o opening the book outside of class, you might find it difficult to all of a sudden change your study habits (as I have found out the hard way, )

And the worst effect of studying and study habits IMHO, is people tend to "clique" with people of similar studious nature, my class definately has some division of social cue based on ones drive for the almighty "A", luckily , a Local PA who gave us a lecture on Rxing pain meds ended his lecture by warning us to not get stuck in a mode of striving for the high grades, that the education isn't about getting the "A", it's bigger then that. Just put in the effort you have to, to feel comfortable with the material, and rotations and didactic are two entirely different animals.

Guest khatereh

I am one of those who just pages through notes right before exams had all As and one B last semester, but in my case it's because with the exception of Pharm everything else is a review for me...I put in a lot of time studying in chiropractic school, so makes this really easy. Otherwise I wouldnt be able to do it with a toddler!

i probably put in 4 or 5 hours a week and got all As last semester. I think the trick is with me, im almost always thinking about the material.. like when im watching basketball... even though Im not "studying it." I also get a WHOLE lot out of lectures, especially when a certain prof. is giving it.

chris

• 4 years later...

When I was in undergrad I did the neccessary to do well on tests and get good grades. There was sometimes I'd take a test and stuggle through it. Going into PA school i had the mindset that everything I was learning was going to be important in my future. Did about 3-4 hours per day after class first semester which was 8-3 on a few days and 8-5 on others. I did my work early and usually alone (I'm easily distracted) and I ended up having my best semester of college I've ever had... 4.0. This semester has been a lot heavier and I've actually consolidated studying to 3 hours a night.... Everyday we are in class from 8-5 and afterward I need dinner and a chill out. Weekends have been packed with studying... like 9-9, 9-12 kind of days in the library.... Hopefully as long as I do well on finals I have another shot at a 4.0. I've found that studying so much for tests makes them seem easy. I know some in our class who just have this gift and instantly memorize it during the lecture and barely study, while others study with no sleep and barely get by. I think alot of it has to do with finding your groove once the work starts piling on....

I gave it an average of 4 hrs a noc. If there was an exam about 2 days b/f the test, I would boost that up to 6 hrs. The noc b/f, I always tried to make it to bed by midnight. If the exam was hard or with a lot of material I would stay up until 2 or 3am. That usually happened in the first quarter when I was still adjusting to the massive amount of workload and my mind was not use to processing that much info. I got a tip from one of the med students. He told me about 45 min. b/f the exam eat smarties. You know those little round candies. Pure sugar will give you the " high" to get through the exam after staying up late. But you will crash. It always worked for me and even when I took the pance , and now panre I still do it. You have to find what works for you. He told me alot of the med students did it and smarties fit well in the pocket.

4-6 hours a night...12-18 on saturdays. Sunday is my day of rest.

Yes, that was more like it for me too....

How I so remember sitting for hours and hours in that horrid library on the weekends and into the wee hours of the night, when all that was left at 2 am, were some overzealous optometry students still studying on a Saturday night/Sunday morning.

2-3 hours a week...thats 1 hour of studying every other day............ummm what PA school do they go to!?!?!?!

No joke...

There have been a couple of weeks (around midterms/finals) when I've studied for 50+ hours on top of 30 hours in class.

As others have said, though, to each his own - everybody needs to study a different amount to perform up to their own personal standards academically.

Andrew

Let's see....I'm not a 4.0 student and would never try to be....I have 3 kids ages 9, and 2 year old twins. I study about 2hrs each day before class, and maybe 2 hrs after class in bits and pieces before going to bed. The latest I stay awake to study is about 10:00....I'm in bed no later than 10:30 maybe 11pm on a finals night. I believe in beauty sleep:). Also, it's not how much you study, but what you study. I know my focus and don't memorize random nothings.

Like someone said earlier it all depends on you and how well you retain information. Some subjects you will be stronger on than other. How many hours you put in is totally trial and error. I believe someone can get by on studying 2-3 hrs a week. Ohters may need 2-6 hrs a day it simple depends on how well you process and retain information. One answer to this question is impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on the week/test. Some tests like pharm require a slow buildup over a week. Some clinical med tests are a good two day cram. I make an excel spreadsheet for almost every (serious) lecture for notecards later and really get a lot done during the presentation. So...I guess you could count the hours in class per week as quality study time. I've noticed that I've gotten better at retaining info over the past year as well, which makes sense. Yeah, I have my fair share of random web browsing...but the excels help cut down on zoning out. My question is: how much do you study over clinicals?

Depends on the week/test. Some tests like pharm require a slow buildup over a week. Some clinical med tests are a good two day cram. I make an excel spreadsheet for almost every (serious) lecture for notecards later and really get a lot done during the presentation. So...I guess you could count the hours in class per week as quality study time. I've noticed that I've gotten better at retaining info over the past year as well, which makes sense. Yeah, I have my fair share of random web browsing...but the excels help cut down on zoning out. My question is: how much do you study over clinicals?

For didactic we had 8hrs of class and then I'd try to study about two hour/night and on weekends I'd study pretty much the whole week (test every monday morning).. I probably could have gotten away for studying a lot less, but I know I'm an awful good crammer but won't remember **** like a few months down the line.. so I forced myself to study more.. hoping I'd retain that little bit of extra when I hit clinic. I thought that I would study more when clinic started and we had 3 weeks clinic and only 1 week of class per month, but seriously I study less. I cram the weekend right before my monday test - the rest of the time I don't read anything unless my preceptor was nice enuf to go over some concepts and tell me to go home and read about it (might happen like once/week... extremely helpful though!!). I'd say I average about 10 hours per month now studying for class vs maybe 20hrs/wk even though I have 4x's extra time to do the same amount of studying.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only a little over a week into my program, but we are generally in class for 8-9 hours between actual lectures and the cadaver lab. Most days run until from 8 until 4-5ish. I've been spending 4+ hours each night getting through that days material and perhaps a topic or 2 previous days. The weekends are a good time to review old material (by the weekend, monday lectures feel like they took place months ago). You have to become good at memorizing topics after only looking at them once or twice.

To get an idea of the volume, my anatomy exam this Thursday easily covers over 1200 PPT slides of the back/thorax, over 100 pages of handouts, all embryology and radiology (x-ray, ct, mri) of associated structures (back/thorax). It's intense.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived