Name Change Poll

Name Change  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What should our title be?

• Physician Assistant
    • Physician Associate
    • Medical Practitioner
    • Advanced Practice Provider
    • Advanced Practice Clinician / Advanced Clinical Practitioner (ACP)
    • Other

5 minutes ago, Jackofallmasterofnone said:

I too prefer medical practitioner, however when abbreviated it sounds very much like NP, which I believe we want to distinguish ourselves from.

I think the key would be to never say MP. say, Hi, I'm Jack, I will be your medical provider today

• Like 1

I like Medical Practitioner because it is very easy to explain ourselves in comparison to a Nurse Practitioner.  "We are both providers, but NPs work from the nursing model while we work from the medical model...yada yada yada..." and with the "Medical Practitioner" title that explanation becomes much simpler.

Edited by mgriffiths
  • Upvote 3

I really like medical practitioner, I still believe that it just won’t work legally speaking. Other providers will say we can’t legally protect the term and prevent them from using it. Still think Clinical Officer is the best of those most likely to be accepted. Used by other countries so there is precedence to argue public would not be confused (an argument they WILL make), very specific about being a clinical authority, CO doesn’t phonetically sound like anything other health profession, doesn’t tie you to anything (for the argument that some PAs have health science degrees and not medical degrees ect). 

I'm voting Physician Associate. Keep the PA initials. The "PA" profession has been gaining so much traction over the last 5 years and now we want to change the initials --> back to square one. 

The profession has changed dramatically since its inception. We are no longer "assistants". But we can definitely be associates and keep the PA initials!

Sidenote: academically it's the same hierarchy.. Assistant professor, Associate professor, then full-fledged Professor.

And just as important, I also believe they should standardize the degree granted. It should be something along the lines of MMS "Master of Medical Sciences". Whereas some schools have an MSPAS, MPA, MHSPAS, MSQWERTY. 

Therefore, I can introduce myself as "Hello my name is Endeavor your PA/Physician Associate." I have my masters in medicine. (Whereas an MD/DO has a doctorate in medicine). 

Just my 2 cents..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Why not keep PA but make it something like "Physician Associate," "Physician Extender," or "Physician Practitioner?" Medical practitioner and physician assistant both sound like medical assistant. A lot of people already know what a PA is now, so drastically changing the name to medical practitioner is getting us back to square one (having to explain our title again). Physician Associate sounds like a healthcare provider who sees their own patients and works with a physician as well. I don't know, just my thoughts, but I'm not a fan of "Medical Practitioner"

Edited by Potatolife
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I really like medical practitioner, I still believe that it just won’t work legally speaking. Other providers will say we can’t legally protect the term and prevent them from using it.

I agree.

I could live with Advanced Medical Clinician — it’s distinguishable from other professions and it emphasizes the medical model.

FYI. I started a poll a while back, with the same question. I bumped it up for further discussion  

Also, since I posted this poll, I myself have changed my mind slightly. I used to be 100% for the title of Medical Practitioner, but have since moved slightly over towards the Physician Associate camp. It just seems far more realistic than Medical Practitioner. It's just not a perfect world, and I am not sure of the feasibility of adopting MP. 

I am still 100% against any other title, they all just seem flat out ridiculous.  

Edited by corpsman89
clarification
  • Upvote 4

Another to add to pot, MSP MEDICAL SCIENCE PRACTITONER. Goes with Master Medical science degree and Doctor Medical Science

John DOE, MSP-C

Medical Practioner

I see the concern with Medical Practioner, However, MD and DO may be thought “medical practitioner”, they NEVER say hi I’m Dr. John, your Medical Practioner. As long as PA, or whatever, doesn’t say hi I’m Dr......, physicians don’t really care, from what I’ve heard. Just don’t pretend, insinuate or consider calling self Dr. in the clinic. That’s ok, they put in the time for that recognition. 

On 3/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, corpsman89 said:

FYI. I started a poll a while back, with the same question. I bumped it up for further discussion  

Also, since I posted this poll, I myself have changed my mind slightly. I used to be 100% for the title of Medical Practitioner, but have since moved slightly over towards the Physician Associate camp. It just seems far more realistic than Medical Practitioner. It's just not a perfect world, and I am not sure of the feasibility of adopting MP. 

I am still 100% against any other title, they all just seem flat out ridiculous.  

You were diehard >6 months ago lol.  I agree that if it HAS to change, associate is better and easier to swallow.  All others are ridiculous 

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Endeavor said:

I'm voting Physician Associate. Keep the PA initials. The "PA" profession has been gaining so much traction over the last 5 years and now we want to change the initials --> back to square one. 

The profession has changed dramatically since its inception. We are no longer "assistants". But we can definitely be associates and keep the PA initials!

Sidenote: academically it's the same hierarchy.. Assistant professor, Associate professor, then full-fledged Professor.

And just as important, I also believe they should standardize the degree granted. It should be something along the lines of MMS "Master of Medical Sciences". Whereas some schools have an MSPAS, MPA, MHSPAS, MSQWERTY. 

Therefore, I can introduce myself as "Hello my name is Endeavor your PA/Physician Associate." I have my masters in medicine. (Whereas an MD/DO has a doctorate in medicine). 

Just my 2 cents..

I'm in 110% agree with this.