Popularity of PA vs NP in Google Searches

I used Google Trends to compare searches for "physician assistants" vs "nurse practitioners". I guess it just confirms what we are feeling. We started behind and being left back in the dust while they gain traction. Time to do something about it. 

PAvsNP.jpg

edit: Here's the link if you want to play around with the parameters https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=physician assistant,Nurse practitioner

Yeah, nursing managements are pushing RNs to get an NP with no anticipations to leave being a floor nurse. OMG, you would be surprised to see how many northern california floor nurses have their NP thinking they are on par now with experienced PAs even though they never worked as an NP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

Yeah, nursing managements are pushing RNs to get an NP with no anticipations to leave being a floor nurse. OMG, you would be surprised to see how many northern california floor nurses have their NP thinking they are on par now with experienced PAs even though they never worked as an NP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

have run into a few of these CV booster NP's - they have never worked as NP and have no clue about it

I have also seen some RN's get their NP - try to work as a NP, fail and go back to floor nursing.....

being the decision maker is not as easy as second guessing the decision maker.....

9 hours ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

floor nurses have their NP thinking they are on par now with experienced PAs even though they never worked as an NP.

Three nurses in the hospital I work for just got fired for continuously questioning and refusing orders from PAs (including me).  They were already on thin ice in many ways, and then one of them made the mistake of misreading and choosing to ignore an order from a PA that was actually from Dr. MD, head of cardiology...oops.  Should not have taken that level of ignorance on their part, but at least they are gone.  Thankfully there is now protocol being put into place to deal with this level of incompetence MUCH more swiftly if any other floor nurses choose to follow their peer's example.

Refusing orders? That's absurd. Hearing about these NP vs PA clashes pains me. I wish we could work together towards our mutual goals. Where I work we don't really have many PAs (psych), but the RNs respect both the NPs and docs pretty much the same. I'd hope that would be the case if we had a PA join our team.

It is stupid...would be so helpful to have a mutual/beneficial relationship.  In reality, all but 1 NP that I have worked with was wonderful and it was a complete collaborative working environment...I should note that I have no idea whether any of the 3 nurses fired were CV NPs or anything.  Also, the 1 NP was a "legal" drug dealer and is now unemployed having been fired from all three employers in the area - and that isn't anything about NPs, there are MD/DOs and PAs who unfortunately do the same.

Also curious about the malpractice risk for a CV NP?  Nurses are usually covered by the hospital's umbrella policy and cannot be sued directly (except for very specific scenarios).  But, technically a NP can be sued as a provider, so how does that work?

Archived