Reasonable job Posting

This is what  reasonable job posting is..... (I am not a recruiter or in any way connected to this job - just a good example)

Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
National Medical Services - Oakfield, ME
$110,000 - $160,000 a year

We are seeking a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant for an Internal Medicine practice in Maine.

Practice Features and Requirements:

• Will consider experienced providers only. No new graduates.
  • Other providers on site.
  • Anticipated patient load will be 16 ppd.
  • Schedule will be M - Th, 8a - 6p (4 - 10's).
  • No call and no weekends.
  • Salary will be $110 - 160k(including incentives).
  • A comprehensive benefit package includes 8 wks vacation, malpractice, health insurance, dental/vision/disability, retirement, and 1 wk paid CME expenses.
  • Financial relocation assistance.
  • Generous sign-on bonus.
  • This employer has own internal Loan Repayment Program worth $45k ($15k for 3 years).

On 3/19/2019 at 7:28 PM, MT2PA said:

8 weeks vacation?!  Plus a week of CME?  

It all sounds too goo to be true.  

And never mind - if it truly is in Oakfield, ME, a town of less than 800 and in the middle of nowhere, it all makes sense.   Location means a lot.

the point is a doc would be 200k+ and they are treating us better then the 100k 3-4 weeks PTO (which everyone seems okay offering)

On 3/19/2019 at 6:28 PM, MT2PA said:

And never mind - if it truly is in Oakfield, ME, a town of less than 800 and in the middle of nowhere, it all makes sense.   Location means a lot.

Location means a lot indeed.

It is a bit of a paradox in that small locales often can't pay a lot but need to offer more to draw candidates. Benefits have a cash value. My last rural job paid about 120k with 7 weeks PTO and a week of CME and health dental etc. Many wouldn't consider it because it was very rural but I bought a 3400 SF home with a huge pool in the nicest neighborhood in the area for 134k. I didn't have big city amenities but I was pretty darn comfortable.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:28 PM, MT2PA said:

If that job was in the lower mid west I would take it! I live in a town of 400 and work in a town of 600 (40 mins away). The country is so much more peaceful and quite. My daily traffic jams include tractors and amish. 

On 3/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, MT2PA said:

I personally like to have space between my job and my life. Being a practitioner in a small isolated town would be a challenge to keep one's job separate from your life. I don't socialize with my patients and it would be difficult for my family to restrict their social contacts.

1 minute ago, CAdamsPAC said:

I personally like to have space between my job and my life. Being a practitioner in a small isolated town would be a challenge to keep one's job separate from your life. I don't socialize with my patients and it would be difficult for my family to restrict their social contacts.

You are correct and I am the same way. Locally I was very circumspect about who I spent time with and where I went and what I did. Most of my oldest friends are from my Army days and they are scattered around so that was always a good place to go hang. We were also only about an hour out of Dallas so going to the big city for a weekend was a regular event.

In a much more rural and isolated area it would be harder. I think folks would expect you to be sociable and participate in local events. Oh...don't get my started on how many people asked me if I had picked a church yet. A bit of a tight conversation for someone who doesn't go to church. I used to say my Iman wouldn't like it if I went to church but my wife told me no one was amused by that but me.

17 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

When  worked in a small town, since I wasn't paid to be on call and such, I chose to live away from the place - people often didn't understand boundaries well where I worked.  Some got bent right out of shape when they asked me for my phone number and I'd give them the office number - "but what if I need to talk to you after hours?"..."Call the office for an appointment, call 911 or drive to Town X's hospital".  

SK

Archived